1967 beetle won't start

Old September 25th 08, 02:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
aptpupil

Default 1967 beetle won't start

turns out it was the ignition switch. thinking i'll just replace it with one
from mamotorworks. what's the easiest way to get it keyed to work with my
current key?
thanks to all who responded.
-c

Old September 25th 08, 03:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

thanks for posting the solution & congrats to you! ;-)

you might have 2 keys now!

Old September 27th 08, 11:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
aptpupil

no problem.
in that case, maybe i'll try to fix the old one. one of the connectors broke
off and has been repaired before, but using some crappy glue or epoxy (from
the looks of it). maybe i'll try to grind that off and solder it properly.
-c

Old January 11th 16, 10:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default With new Carburetor float mounted up

Thirty minutes of drilling out the old screw remains, tapping the hole for a Heli-Coil and installing the insert correctly finally solved the problem. All the screw holes were cleaned out with a six millimeter tap to ease reassembly.

New manifolds, sourced from an eBay seller, had been shipped via 2-day Priority Mail which has tracking associated with the shipment. After five days, an enquiry was made about shipping status to the seller and to USPS. Tracking showed the parts being received into NY depot, then "in transit" for another five days. Eventually they made their way to SoCal and the mailbox on a Friday. Total transit time was seven days, blamed upon the Christmas season mail volumes.

With new manifolds mounted up, it still required some leverage via a crowbar to get them pushed fully into the fresh rubber mounts. Last few tasks were to reconnect the push-pull throttle cables and prepare the petcock for fuel delivery.

Somehow, after reinstallation of the oil filter mounting plate, the o-ring seal apparently moved out of position and the bike dumped 2 quarts of oil in about 30 seconds when it was fired up for the first time. After the sea of petroleum was contained and cleaned up, the filter bolt was found to be a little loose.

After tightening the bolt, the engine was re-started and again it dumped another quart of oil on the floor instantly. The remaining oil was drained, the plate o-rings re-examined and the whole assembly once again reinstalled. 3 more quarts of oil were added to the sump and with fingers crossed, the starter button thumbed one more time... This time, no leaks; just a lot of coughing and cackling of the exhaust system as the engine woke back up again, spitting out carbon deposits, dead insect bodies and who knows what else..

The engine slowly warmed up, running somewhat smoother as it regained operating temperature. The front brake system had been refreshed with new kits and fluid, but remained with a mushy feel probably due to some trapped air in the convoluted brake lines and softened flex hoses.

Still, the front brake did have some effect, despite the amazingly thin brake pad material remaining on the pads. The bike was backed down the driveway and with the front brake pumped up and held firmly, the shift lever was pressed down into 1st gear.