Ignition coils fail right after 80K service - can this be acoincidence?

Old June 24th 08, 12:34 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Harry[_5_]

Default Ignition coils fail right after 80K service - can this be acoincidence?

Hi there,

I am pretty fed up with my Audi experience - just the other day we
picked up our A4 1.8 (2002) after a 80K service (by an Audi authorized
service center) and it took exactly one day until the check engine
light came on (blinking) and the car was runnning rough.

We had it towed back to the service center and they claim that the
ignition coils failed and that it was unrelated to the service they
performed.

I lost my trust in Audi and my trust in the service center is eroding
rapdily - can this really be a coincidence or are they hiding a
mistake from me!?

Thanks for any input, Harry.
Old June 24th 08, 07:51 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dave Nesbitt

Harry > wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am pretty fed up with my Audi experience - just the other day we
> picked up our A4 1.8 (2002) after a 80K service (by an Audi authorized
> service center) and it took exactly one day until the check engine
> light came on (blinking) and the car was runnning rough.
>
> We had it towed back to the service center and they claim that the
> ignition coils failed and that it was unrelated to the service they
> performed.
>
> I lost my trust in Audi and my trust in the service center is eroding
> rapdily - can this really be a coincidence or are they hiding a
> mistake from me!?
>
> Thanks for any input, Harry.

Well, coil packs of which there is one for each spark plug on the Audi
1.8, are not "serviceable" items so it is difficult to know what you
can expect a service technician to have done. If they are working when
the car is serviced then there is nothing that can be done to check
whether or not one is about to fail.

There is a reported history of these coil packs failing on Audi engines
(Google will help you here), presumably because the embedded
electronics break down after time in the very hostile vibration and
temperature environment. They are not highly expensive or difficult to
replace; just plug in a new one. Usually just one out of the 4 fails
causing an engine misfire, but if it has just happened you might think
it prudent to replace all 4 at the same time (much like replacing all 4
spark plugs). If the service station does it for you they will charge
you for their labour time, of course, which probably won't be cheap.

My only suggestion for something you might check for yourself is that
*if* your spark plugs were replaced at the service, you could look to
see if the coil packs were re-seated properly and still make a good
electrical connection. I don't think, however, that a poor connection
is a likely cause; much more likely is a coil pack failure.

--
Dave N
Old June 24th 08, 02:29 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Hmmmm I wonder how these coils withstand a small drop to the ground. 8^)

Yes they are easy to change and I recommend that the owner can change them
theirselves! Much easier and safer and cleaner than changing a tire. ;-)
I have heard of them failing before a service/recall and right after a
service/recall just like in your case.

I have not personally seen one coil fail yet. I have seen the ignition
module fail on the AEB engines though and it seems to be #2 cylinder that
dies too usually! weird!

Did the dealership recommend that the timing belt be changed yet?
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

Old June 24th 08, 02:43 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
iws

"Harry" > wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I am pretty fed up with my Audi experience - just the other day we
> picked up our A4 1.8 (2002) after a 80K service (by an Audi authorized
> service center) and it took exactly one day until the check engine
> light came on (blinking) and the car was runnning rough.
>
> We had it towed back to the service center and they claim that the
> ignition coils failed and that it was unrelated to the service they
> performed.
>
> I lost my trust in Audi and my trust in the service center is eroding
> rapdily - can this really be a coincidence or are they hiding a
> mistake from me!?
>
> Thanks for any input, Harry.

I think that year was subject to a recall for defective ignition coils.
Also, watch out for the oil sludge problem in the 1.8T. Timing belt should
also
be changed around your mileage.

Old September 3rd 08, 09:28 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
'04_A4

i purchased and a4 '04 in june and every month i have to replace a coil
and on top of that my coolant was leaking fluid. i had them fix it but
they did not change the timing belt so car is still leaking and again
the engine light is one and car is shaking so i know there is another
coil problem again. how can i permanenlty fix my car?? should i be
going to the better business bureau or ministry? at least the
dealership are fixing these problems for me but it;s a pain in the rear.
please help.

--
'04_A4
'04_A4's Profile: http://www.audiforum.ca/member.php?userid=5068

Old September 5th 08, 07:36 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
One out of many daves

Did you purchase it from that dealer?
Do you have a warranty?

Which engine?
How many miles on it?

Old October 13th 08, 05:18 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
'04_A4[_2_]

1.8 engine, i replaced the ciols - all four and now the car is okay but
there is still a leak. not internal but external. i was told that it
may be the head gasket but that is not covered in my warranty. just
engine and transmission. coolant leak is getting worse and the dealer
wants me to pay audi to inspect the problem. since i didnt get it
directly from audi and a smaller dealer, i am stuck with this issue.
any ideas on how i can argue this? this is ridiculous....since i got my
care in june i've had nothing but problems.

Old October 13th 08, 06:00 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
K04-S4[_3_]

Coils can be physically cracked or damaged by dropping, rough handling
like excess side flexing and prying with incorrect tools when attempting
to remove, by the destructive water penetration that Audi's Coilpack TSB
refered to, etc.

I just changed spark plugs on a 3.0 and noticed half the coilpacks and
related spark plugs had surface rust suggesting water was getting past
the rubber moisture seal while the other coilpacks looked brand new.
Time will tell which coilpack(s) fail first.

--
K04-S4
K04-S4's Profile: http://www.audiforum.ca/member.php?userid=2727

Old October 13th 08, 08:12 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
frob[_3_]

I just removed, cleaned, & re-intalled mine with some RTV added on the
seals and bolts. housings were cracked on bolt hole. this was after
engine wash showed water was getting in. should fix it till next plug
change.

--
frob
frob's Profile: http://www.audiforum.ca/member.php?userid=5300