YAMT

Old November 29th 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ed White[_1_]

Default YAMT

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> Yet Another MFFY Trucker:
>
> http://i12.tinypic.com/2hh1xrq.jpg
>
> This guy felt it was necessary to park less than a foot awat from teh
> bumper of a pickup truck; he was blocking a second vehicle, as well.
> The MFFY is nowhere to be seen, of course, so if one of the owners of
> those vehicles wanted to drive someplace for lunch they'd be screwed.
> And yet less than 20 feet away were rows and rows of unused parking
> spaces where this prick could have parked without blocking anybody.
> But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Trucker convenience trumps all!!!!! Heaven
> forbid that this sacred transporter of the economic health of our
> country should have to wheel his dolly an extra 20 feet!!!!!!
>
> --
> I'm a wreckless driver and damn proud of it!

If the pick-up was mine, I am sure I could have gotten out of the
space. I don't know about the other car - it looks like there was
enough room to get out, but it is hard to judge exactly where the rear
end of the truck is relative to the second car.

How long did you observe the truck? Is it possible that he just stopped
breifly to get directions? I don't see any evidence he was actually
unloading anything.

Finally, do you know if anyone was actually inconvenienced?

Ed

Old November 29th 06, 05:58 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ulf

Ed White wrote:
> Scott en Aztlán wrote:
>> Yet Another MFFY Trucker:
>>
>> http://i12.tinypic.com/2hh1xrq.jpg
>>
>> This guy felt it was necessary to park less than a foot awat from teh
>> bumper of a pickup truck; he was blocking a second vehicle, as well.
>> The MFFY is nowhere to be seen, of course, so if one of the owners of
>> those vehicles wanted to drive someplace for lunch they'd be screwed.
>> And yet less than 20 feet away were rows and rows of unused parking
>> spaces where this prick could have parked without blocking anybody.
>> But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Trucker convenience trumps all!!!!! Heaven
>> forbid that this sacred transporter of the economic health of our
>> country should have to wheel his dolly an extra 20 feet!!!!!!
>>
>> --
>> I'm a wreckless driver and damn proud of it!

> If the pick-up was mine, I am sure I could have gotten out of the
> space. I don't know about the other car - it looks like there was
> enough room to get out, but it is hard to judge exactly where the rear
> end of the truck is relative to the second car.

Yup, but it might have taken a few seconds of their valuable time.

> How long did you observe the truck? Is it possible that he just stopped
> breifly to get directions? I don't see any evidence he was actually
> unloading anything.

Probably because he isn't.

> Finally, do you know if anyone was actually inconvenienced?

Of course they were, otherwise "Scott" wouldn't have gotten his panties
in a twist over it, right?

> Ed

Ulf
Old December 1st 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Doug Maddox

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 22:56:49 -0800, Scott en Aztlán wrote:

> "Ed White" > said in rec.autos.driving:
>
>>If the pick-up was mine, I am sure I could have gotten out of the
>>space.

> Well, sure - as long as you were willing to drive across the grass.
>
>>How long did you observe the truck?

> Just long enough for me to walk past it on my way back from lunch.

So you don't know if he was there for two minutes or twenty minutes.

>>Is it possible that he just stopped
>>breifly to get directions?

> There were two pallets on the ground behind the truck; one had a large
> cardboard box on top, about the size of box that a washing machine
> comes in. The other pallet had already had its box removed; presumably
> the driver was busy wheeling the box inside the building somewhere.

So he was making a delivery?

>>Finally, do you know if anyone was actually inconvenienced?

> How is that relevant?

No harm, no foul?

Who was the victim of the crime?

Doug

Old December 1st 06, 11:15 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Doug Maddox

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 19:48:05 -0800, Scott en Aztlán wrote a lot of huff
and puff:

What it boils down to is you are attempting to make a tempest in a teapot,
a mountain out of a molehill. In short, that lather you have whipped
yourself into is far greater than is warranted.

You pictorial evidence is woefully lacking, as it doesn't give the whole
picture. You have admitted that you don't know how long the truck was
there, or if any of the other vehicles did indeed have to leave. For all
we know, they could have been there for hours after the truck left. The
driver could have located those drivers and ascertained their needs. You
may want to believe that that couldn't bee the case, but you have failed
to proved you case. And you were not even the one wronged. This is just
another attempt to strut your indignity.

Doug
"Just because I disagree with you, I'm not a troll."
Old December 1st 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ed Pirrero

Doug Maddox wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 19:48:05 -0800, Scott en Aztlán wrote a lot of huff
> and puff:

> What it boils down to is you are attempting to make a tempest in a teapot,
> a mountain out of a molehill. In short, that lather you have whipped
> yourself into is far greater than is warranted.
>
> You pictorial evidence is woefully lacking, as it doesn't give the whole
> picture. You have admitted that you don't know how long the truck was
> there, or if any of the other vehicles did indeed have to leave. For all
> we know, they could have been there for hours after the truck left. The
> driver could have located those drivers and ascertained their needs. You
> may want to believe that that couldn't bee the case, but you have failed
> to proved you case. And you were not even the one wronged. This is just
> another attempt to strut your indignity.

OK, Doug, 'splain it to *me*:

I'm parked on a city street at lunch time. I come out from lunch to
find a delivery truck double-parked in such a way that there's no
possibility of me leaving. I wait for 15 minutes before approaching
the truck to see if the keys are in it. They aren't.

So I walk away, so see if I can't productively occupy my time. I don't
have any business to take care of, so I'm sort of out of luck.

After 45 minutes of waiting, I finally go back to see the truck pulling
away. I get in my car, and go back to work, and get to hear three
different people bitching at me about my long lunch, my lack of
availability for questions, and my lack of availability to assign
additional work.

If the delivery trucker would have double-parked 20 yards in either
direction, there would have been no possibility of blocking ANYONE in.
I consider the driver's vehicle in the photo to be in exactly the same
sort of position, with even less reason (with space available nearby
where nobody gets parked in.)

E.P.

Old December 6th 06, 05:31 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Doug Maddox

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 21:34:14 -0800, Scott en Aztlán wrote:

> Doug Maddox > said in rec.autos.driving:
>
>>What it boils down to is you are attempting to make a tempest in a teapot,
>>a mountain out of a molehill. In short, that lather you have whipped
>>yourself into

> I'm afraid that "lather" only exists in your fantasies.
>
>>You have admitted that you don't know how long the truck was
>>there, or if any of the other vehicles did indeed have to leave.

> Irrelevant. He's still a MFFY. He chose to (potentially) inconvenience
> other people in order to make the delivery (slightly) more convenient
> for himself.

I await pictures of people walking on the grass when there is clearing a
sign stating "Keep Off The Grass!".

Doug

Old December 6th 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ed Pirrero

Doug Maddox wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 21:34:14 -0800, Scott en Aztlán wrote:
>
> > Doug Maddox > said in rec.autos.driving:
> >
> >>What it boils down to is you are attempting to make a tempest in a teapot,
> >>a mountain out of a molehill. In short, that lather you have whipped
> >>yourself into

> > I'm afraid that "lather" only exists in your fantasies.
> >
> >>You have admitted that you don't know how long the truck was
> >>there, or if any of the other vehicles did indeed have to leave.

> > Irrelevant. He's still a MFFY. He chose to (potentially) inconvenience
> > other people in order to make the delivery (slightly) more convenient
> > for himself.

> I await pictures of people walking on the grass when there is clearing a
> sign stating "Keep Off The Grass!".

I await your sanctimonius reply to my post.

Go ahead, you know you want to...

E.P.

Old December 7th 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Doug Maddox

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 11:31:58 -0800, Ed Pirrero wrote:

> Doug Maddox wrote:

>> > I'm afraid that "lather" only exists in your fantasies.

>> > Irrelevant. He's still a MFFY. He chose to (potentially)
>> > inconvenience other people in order to make the delivery (slightly)
>> > more convenient for himself.

>> I await pictures of people walking on the grass when there is clearing
>> a sign stating "Keep Off The Grass!".

> I await your sanctimonius reply to my post.
>
> Go ahead, you know you want to...
>
> E.P.

Edward, sanctimonious? Me? No. That's what I was accusing Mr. Scott of
being.

Ed, may I call you Ed? I was just bitching and moaning and being a real
*******. Taking a cheap shot at Mr. Scott, with his chest all puffed out
and his indignity all in a huff. I fear for his health. This kind of
behavior just raises your stress and your blood pressure, not healthy at
all. A more satisfying thing is getting even. This is not merely revenge,
it's also conditioning the offender not to do it again. Keying their
vehicle or letting the air out of their tires is just brutish and
unsophisticated. I prefer a more subtle approach, one that doesn't point
back to me. Let me illustrate with a story, one that actually happened.

A few weeks back just before the high school was to dismiss for the
afternoon, a FedEx driver tried to make a delivery, knowing full well that
the school does not accept deliveries between 2-2:45. This was about 2:05,
and a couple of buses had already lined up. One of those drivers, a women
about 5'4", told he that he would be better off parking out at the curb
and walking in. The delivery driver told her to "**** off", and parked
next to her bus. She moved her bus over and blocked him in, then the rest
of the fleet showed up (one and two at a time), and completely closed off
the entire lot as we do every day at this time. When the FedEx driver came
out of the school, about 2:15, he was hemmed in by a sea of yellow. He
demanded that we move our buses and let him out. The guy was fit to be
tied, cussing and ranting, going around taking down the license plate of
every bus in the lot. At 2:20, the bell rang and the kids made for the
buses. At 2:27 the go signal was given and we filed out of the lot, making
sure that there are no other vehicles in line with the buses. By 2:35, the
last bus has left the lot and the POV's are allowed to leave. So now this
driver is twenty minutes behind because he thought the rules didn't apply
to him. To this day, that FedEx driver flips the bird to us when he
encounter one of our buses, but he has not attempted to make a delivery
when he's not suppose to.

On a foot note, the Director of Transportation was alerted early on in the
situation. He and the Vice Principle stood at the edge of the lot trying
not to laugh. The next day, the director commended the driver for not
beating the snot out of the FedEx driver.

Doug

Old December 8th 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ed Pirrero

Doug Maddox wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 11:31:58 -0800, Ed Pirrero wrote:
> > Doug Maddox wrote:
> >> I await pictures of people walking on the grass when there is clearing
> >> a sign stating "Keep Off The Grass!".

> > I await your sanctimonius reply to my post.
> >
> > Go ahead, you know you want to...
> >
> > E.P.

> Edward, sanctimonious? Me? No. That's what I was accusing Mr. Scott of
> being.

Yes, I saw that.

> Ed, may I call you Ed? I was just bitching and moaning and being a real
> *******. Taking a cheap shot at Mr. Scott, with his chest all puffed out
> and his indignity all in a huff. I fear for his health. This kind of
> behavior just raises your stress and your blood pressure, not healthy at
> all. A more satisfying thing is getting even.

[snip just-desserts story]

When you can't get even, venting is sometimes good.

But it's obvious you completely understand the situation - where folks
feel they have the right to inconvenience others just so they won't be
inconvenienced themselves.

Now, I understand that delivery folks have a hard job moving all that
stuff, and saving a few steps every day adds up. But the guy in my
story (which was also completely true) was nowhere to be seen. He
wasn't doing any delivery that I could see. And as far as I know, he
was parked there for at least 45 minutes. And if this had been the
ONLY time that had ever happened, I wouldn't think much of it. But I
have seen folks do the dumbest stuff - like double park while a
passenger runs to buy movie tickets, completely blocking the travel
lane (and since there's steady traffic in the other direction, no
possiblity of pulling around) for more than 10 minutes. How do I know?
I timed it. Of course, I was three cars back, and blocked in myself,
so there wasn't much I could do.

Admittedly, these extreme instances are rare, but I have seen plenty of
the same sorts of things where folks seem to think they are the only
ones on the face of the planet, or that their time is *the* most
important thing. After a while, this sort of attitude, a sort of "me
first, fsck you" mindset, begins to become annoying.

Sort of like the guy who feels the need to cruise in the left lane,
pacing the car beside him. Why? Maybe so he can see clear road for
miles ahead. Or because he feels that since his speedometer is the
only accurate one in the world, that he should set an example for those
of us who might not be reading the same speed on ours. I dunno.

I don't think Scott's pictures describe something incredibly rare that
can be shrugged off as abberation. I think they portray a society more
coarse and selfish than it used to be. I remember a time when EVERYONE
only took one parking space, no matter how nice their car. Or when
folks pulled into a parking lot and pulled into the first slot
available, instead of cruising around for minutes, looking for one to
open up closer to the door.

Not so much a blood pressure, stress sort of thing, but a shrugged
shoulders, deep sigh sort of thing.

E.P.

Old December 8th 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Doug Maddox

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 16:29:12 -0800, Ed Pirrero wrote:

> Doug Maddox wrote:
>> >
>> > I await your sanctimonius reply to my post.
>> >
>> > Go ahead, you know you want to...
>> >
>> > E.P.

>> Edward, sanctimonious? Me? No. That's what I was accusing Mr. Scott of
>> being.

> Yes, I saw that.
>
>> Ed, may I call you Ed? I was just bitching and moaning and being a real
>> *******. Taking a cheap shot at Mr. Scott, with his chest all puffed out
>> and his indignity all in a huff. I fear for his health. This kind of
>> behavior just raises your stress and your blood pressure, not healthy at
>> all. A more satisfying thing is getting even.

> [snip just-desserts story]
>
> When you can't get even, venting is sometimes good.
>

> But it's obvious you completely understand the situation - where folks
> feel they have the right to inconvenience others just so they won't be
> inconvenienced themselves.
>
> Now, I understand that delivery folks have a hard job moving all that
> stuff, and saving a few steps every day adds up. But the guy in my
> story (which was also completely true) was nowhere to be seen. He

I thought we were talking about Scott's story?

> wasn't doing any delivery that I could see. And as far as I know, he
> was parked there for at least 45 minutes. And if this had been the
> ONLY time that had ever happened, I wouldn't think much of it. But I
> have seen folks do the dumbest stuff - like double park while a
> passenger runs to buy movie tickets, completely blocking the travel
> lane (and since there's steady traffic in the other direction, no
> possiblity of pulling around) for more than 10 minutes. How do I know?
> I timed it. Of course, I was three cars back, and blocked in myself,
> so there wasn't much I could do.

I get people blocking the travel lanes all the time. This morning another
para-transit outfit parked their rig in the loading zone of the local
hosp. There were nowhere to be found! They tied up all the others trying
to get in the loop for twenty minutes. About the most effective is to have
our office call their office and the hosp. Next time they don't get cut
any slack when they need it. But we digress.

> Admittedly, these extreme instances are rare, but I have seen plenty of
> the same sorts of things where folks seem to think they are the only
> ones on the face of the planet, or that their time is *the* most
> important thing. After a while, this sort of attitude, a sort of "me
> first, fsck you" mindset, begins to become annoying.

I don't think the majority have that mindset at all. They don't think at
all, they are not paying attention to what consequences their actions
have. Don't get me wrong, I have run into some true MFFY's. I just smile
at them and throw them a peace sign. They ain't gonna get MY goat today.

> Sort of like the guy who feels the need to cruise in the left lane,
> pacing the car beside him. Why? Maybe so he can see clear road for
> miles ahead. Or because he feels that since his speedometer is the only
> accurate one in the world, that he should set an example for those of us
> who might not be reading the same speed on ours. I dunno.
>
> I don't think Scott's pictures describe something incredibly rare that
> can be shrugged off as abberation. I think they portray a society more
> coarse and selfish than it used to be. I remember a time when EVERYONE
> only took one parking space, no matter how nice their car. Or when
> folks pulled into a parking lot and pulled into the first slot
> available, instead of cruising around for minutes, looking for one to
> open up closer to the door.

I agree that they are common. I was just questioning how horrible a crime
had been committed. Don't want to blow things out of proportion. That's
when we get people calling for the death penalty for littering. (Yes I
know I'm blowing this out of proportion, and I'm using it to illustrate my
point).

> Not so much a blood pressure, stress sort of thing, but a shrugged
> shoulders, deep sigh sort of thing.
>
> E.P.

Doug