Forza Motorsport 2 realtime screens

Old September 7th 06, 12:46 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators,uk.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games
Paul Heslop

Default Forza Motorsport 2 realtime screens

Bikini Whacks wrote:

> In article >,
> says...
> > Bikini Whacks wrote:
> > >
> > > In article >,

says...

http://myspace.com/zomoniac

> > > Was something on your mind as you started that?

> > Why? Is it a mess? I have actually had one of those days today, you
> > know, where you feel like everything is a dream and you're going to
> > wake up in a minute and think, thank **** for that.
> >

> No, it's ALL a dream, mate.
>
> Doing any more laying today?

:O) I only just got it, after re-reading about four times. Good
grief, even thinking about it right now would tire me out :O)

--
Paul (Neurotic to the bone No doubt about it)
Stop and Look
Old September 7th 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators,uk.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games
The Gray One

Paul Heslop wrote:

> I'm 50/50. I certainly don't brag about either but when i was laying
> both I thought GT4 was sharper, the edges of the vehicles seemed
> cleaner and the cars just looked right. The other thing is the much
> vaunted visual mods on forza, the vinyl's etc. they appear very low
> rez and chunky and sometimes shadows actually have almost square
> stepping, very bad shadows like I used to notice in the original Gran
> turismo when driving the Honda sports car the shadows under the
> spoiler always looked glued on later. backgrounds on forza are also
> often hazy, soft edged, like paintings rather than realistic.

Perhaps but GT4's handling of the cars is very arcady where as Forza
was far more realistic in terms of the driving model.

Old September 7th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators,uk.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games
Paul Heslop

The Gray One wrote:

> Paul Heslop wrote:
>

> > I'm 50/50. I certainly don't brag about either but when i was laying
> > both I thought GT4 was sharper, the edges of the vehicles seemed
> > cleaner and the cars just looked right. The other thing is the much
> > vaunted visual mods on forza, the vinyl's etc. they appear very low
> > rez and chunky and sometimes shadows actually have almost square
> > stepping, very bad shadows like I used to notice in the original Gran
> > turismo when driving the Honda sports car the shadows under the
> > spoiler always looked glued on later. backgrounds on forza are also
> > often hazy, soft edged, like paintings rather than realistic.

> Perhaps but GT4's handling of the cars is very arcady where as Forza
> was far more realistic in terms of the driving model.

Which as always been my contention anyway. I got forza later but I had
pretty much got fed up with GT4 by then and forza breathed in some
life. I guess if you really know all that stuff about PSI etc you
could do some serious things but as it is I get more of a blast from
forza and haven't touched GT4 for ages. My son is the other way round,
played forza once, didn't like and now plays GT4.

TBH and in a big way I am still having more fun from the need for
speed games than any other driving game around. :O)

Old September 8th 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators,uk.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games
Dave[_3_]

In article .com>, "The Gray One" > wrote:

>Perhaps but GT4's handling of the cars is very arcady where as Forza
>was far more realistic in terms of the driving model.

Perhaps, but the braking was broke (far too sensitive). And some
cars show too much power-on oversteer, most show too much throttle
sensitivity in transition from over to understeer (IMHO).

Maybe it would have been better if I used a good wheel instead of
the stock controller?

Also, lots of the cockpit views were broke. For instance the NSX's
is from a worm's eye view. As opposed to one of the LMP cars
(Cadillac?) which seemed to be from someone standing on top of it.
Old September 8th 06, 09:40 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators,uk.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games
Paul Heslop

Dave wrote:

> In article .com>, "The Gray One" > wrote:
>
> >Perhaps but GT4's handling of the cars is very arcady where as Forza
> >was far more realistic in terms of the driving model.

> Perhaps, but the braking was broke (far too sensitive). And some
> cars show too much power-on oversteer, most show too much throttle
> sensitivity in transition from over to understeer (IMHO).
>
> Maybe it would have been better if I used a good wheel instead of
> the stock controller?
>
> Also, lots of the cockpit views were broke. For instance the NSX's
> is from a worm's eye view. As opposed to one of the LMP cars
> (Cadillac?) which seemed to be from someone standing on top of it.

the top view on GT4 were really crap though. after three tries that
was the best they could do? I always loved the GT series but that game
had to be the biggest let down in many depts. Oh and while we're at
it, we get a 5 second penalty in the rally races for bumping into
anything, including the other driver making us hit them for which they
get NO PENALTY! In a 'sim' surely it should be evenly balanced and
both cars play by the same rules?
Old September 8th 06, 10:37 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators,uk.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games
Zomoniac

On 2006-09-08 09:40:51 +0100, Paul Heslop > said:

> Dave wrote:
>>
>> In article .com>,
>> "The Gray One" > wrote:
>>
>>> Perhaps but GT4's handling of the cars is very arcady where as Forza
>>> was far more realistic in terms of the driving model.

>> Perhaps, but the braking was broke (far too sensitive). And some
>> cars show too much power-on oversteer, most show too much throttle
>> sensitivity in transition from over to understeer (IMHO).
>>
>> Maybe it would have been better if I used a good wheel instead of
>> the stock controller?
>>
>> Also, lots of the cockpit views were broke. For instance the NSX's
>> is from a worm's eye view. As opposed to one of the LMP cars
>> (Cadillac?) which seemed to be from someone standing on top of it.

> the top view on GT4 were really crap though.

Which view? If you play GT from anything other than the in-car view
then I can't take you seriously p

Shame PS2 isn't up to the job of a cockpit view, it must be said.

> after three tries that
> was the best they could do? I always loved the GT series but that game
> had to be the biggest let down in many depts. Oh and while we're at
> it, we get a 5 second penalty in the rally races for bumping into
> anything, including the other driver making us hit them for which they
> get NO PENALTY! In a 'sim' surely it should be evenly balanced and
> both cars play by the same rules?

Yup, it's ****. Another great game let down my AI cheating, just like
Ridge Racer 6 with the AI infinite turbo on later races. The worst one
I've ever come across was Virtua Striker 2 on DC (which was a terrible
game anyway), you could be hammering the CPU all match and it would
score 3 in the last five minutes, it wouldn't actually let you control
your players, they would spontaneously run in the wrong direction,
basically when it decided it was going to score there was absolutely
nothing you could do about it.

--
http://myspace.com/zomoniac

Old September 8th 06, 11:29 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators,uk.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games
Paul Heslop

Zomoniac wrote:

> On 2006-09-08 09:40:51 +0100, Paul Heslop > said:
>
> > Dave wrote:

> >> Perhaps, but the braking was broke (far too sensitive). And some
> >> cars show too much power-on oversteer, most show too much throttle
> >> sensitivity in transition from over to understeer (IMHO).
> >>
> >> Maybe it would have been better if I used a good wheel instead of
> >> the stock controller?
> >>
> >> Also, lots of the cockpit views were broke. For instance the NSX's
> >> is from a worm's eye view. As opposed to one of the LMP cars
> >> (Cadillac?) which seemed to be from someone standing on top of it.

> > the top view on GT4 were really crap though.

> Which view? If you play GT from anything other than the in-car view
> then I can't take you seriously p

:O) I just dabble occasionally with all views. The one where you're
on the roof? You can see more of the roof than anything else
sometimes, if the vehicle is squareish and has a short front end.
makes it look like you're driving a box.

> Shame PS2 isn't up to the job of a cockpit view, it must be said.

But it has been, hasn't it? Colin Mcrae, the toca games?

> > after three tries that
> > was the best they could do? I always loved the GT series but that game
> > had to be the biggest let down in many depts. Oh and while we're at
> > it, we get a 5 second penalty in the rally races for bumping into
> > anything, including the other driver making us hit them for which they
> > get NO PENALTY! In a 'sim' surely it should be evenly balanced and
> > both cars play by the same rules?

> Yup, it's ****. Another great game let down my AI cheating, just like
> Ridge Racer 6 with the AI infinite turbo on later races.

But with ridge racer, and need for speed etc at least they are arcade
and you expect some of this ridiculous over even handedness towards
AI. Remember the thing where I think in GT3 and 4 there are certain
races it doesn't matter how good you drive the pack remain a certain
distance behind, even when you check the stats and see that you were
bloody obviously burning the arse off them in every way? Oh, and of
course their ability to take a corner like it was a nice gradual bend
when it is a f***ing V shaped ******* with a nice wedge in the rails
for you to lodge the front of your over-powered monster into?
*******s! :O)

The worst one
> I've ever come across was Virtua Striker 2 on DC (which was a terrible
> game anyway), you could be hammering the CPU all match and it would
> score 3 in the last five minutes, it wouldn't actually let you control
> your players, they would spontaneously run in the wrong direction,
> basically when it decided it was going to score there was absolutely
> nothing you could do about it.
>
> --
> http://myspace.com/zomoniac

My son often complains when he plays the manager games, gets what
should be the perfect team, they should be heroes, half the team want
to leave, people retire, the best striker gets injured three seconds
after kickoff and the goalies hand falls off... mind you, that could
be the story of newcastle united :O)

Old September 8th 06, 11:41 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators,uk.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games
Dave[_3_]

In article >, Paul Heslop > wrote:

>the top view on GT4 were really crap though.

Seconding the other guy's post, I always stay in-car.
Yes, I'd love them to add true cockpits ala PGR3. But you know
what? In playing that game 3-4 hrs (borrowed X360), I found myself
turning off the dash. Why? While it is very pretty, it is
distracting and gives you less of a view of the road than you'd have
in real racing. I auto-X and have tracked my car a couple of times.
You pay zero attention to the cockpit. And, at least with my Miata,
you see a lot more outside than from these cockpit views.

after three tries that
>was the best they could do? I always loved the GT series but that game
>had to be the biggest let down in many depts.

I agree there. While the 480p and 1080i, 500+ cars and record # of
tracks were all improvements, it just was too much like GT3 after
the long wait.

>get NO PENALTY! In a 'sim' surely it should be evenly balanced and
>both cars play by the same rules?

I'm just more tired of the crappy AI. But I didn't think Forza's
was all that good either. Check that, it was excellent on some
tracks (LS) horrid on others (most fantasy tracks, Road Atlanta).
Old September 8th 06, 11:50 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators,uk.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games
Zomoniac

On 2006-09-08 11:29:49 +0100, Paul Heslop > said:

> Zomoniac wrote:

>>> the top view on GT4 were really crap though.

>> Which view? If you play GT from anything other than the in-car view
>> then I can't take you seriously p
>>

> :O) I just dabble occasionally with all views. The one where you're
> on the roof? You can see more of the roof than anything else
> sometimes, if the vehicle is squareish and has a short front end.
> makes it look like you're driving a box.
>
>> Shame PS2 isn't up to the job of a cockpit view, it must be said.

> But it has been, hasn't it? Colin Mcrae, the toca games?

Yeah but the cars there didn't look a tenth as good as on GT. I doubt
it could get them up to a satisfactory level without sacrificing
something major.

--
http://myspace.com/zomoniac

Old September 8th 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators,uk.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.games
Paul Heslop

Zomoniac wrote:

> On 2006-09-08 11:29:49 +0100, Paul Heslop > said:
>
> > Zomoniac wrote:

> >> Which view? If you play GT from anything other than the in-car view
> >> then I can't take you seriously p
> >>

> > :O) I just dabble occasionally with all views. The one where you're
> > on the roof? You can see more of the roof than anything else
> > sometimes, if the vehicle is squareish and has a short front end.
> > makes it look like you're driving a box.
> >
> >> Shame PS2 isn't up to the job of a cockpit view, it must be said.

> > But it has been, hasn't it? Colin Mcrae, the toca games?

> Yeah but the cars there didn't look a tenth as good as on GT. I doubt
> it could get them up to a satisfactory level without sacrificing
> something major.
>
> --
> http://myspace.com/zomoniac

Yeah, and i don't know if it's really true but I felt as the series
progressed the cars look less realistic, more like tin toys, specially
the touring cars. It's like they couldn't be bothered to smooth out
the edges. When we first got a demo for TOCA on the pc, or amiga,
whichever it was at the time we were so gobsmacked at the detail and
specially the damage. I didn't even try to race, just drove round
smashing into stuff! Then Toca two had all that thick pluming smoke
from the engine, ace stuff now commonplace and boring.