Wrangler ?'s

Old September 26th 04, 10:49 AM
Carl Saiyed

Default Wrangler ?'s

I am looking to purchase a Jeep Wrangler as a daily driver and to take to
the mtns occasionaly, no serious off roading. I am looking for a 96 and up,
under 100,000 miles. I have a few questions:

I would assume the 2.5 liter is pretty weak, so I would want to find one
with the 4 liter, correct? I drive 40 miles a day so gas mileage really
isn't a huge issue.

How reliable are said Jeeps as daily drivers?

What should I look out for? I'd like to buy one as stock as possible.

If I buy one with a soft top, is it expensive to aquire a hard top?

How loud is the hard top / soft top when up/on and on the freeway at approx.
65 versus a regular passenger car.

Any other advice?

Thanks,

Carl

Old September 26th 04, 04:16 PM
Greg

If you can find one with the Dana 44 rear end as opposed to the Dana 35 it
would be better. Besides a few known and well discussed problems, they are
very reliable. Used hard tops go for $750.00 to $1500.00, and you do want
the hard top, cheaper to find one with a hard top and then get a soft top if
you want later. Soft top at 65 mph will sound like it's being ripped off at
200 mph, hard top will just sound like your going 200 mph. Gas millage isn't
much different between 4 and 6 cyl, so go 6.
If I was looking for a used TJ I would be looking for a 98 up, D 44,
checking underneath for dents in skid plate to see where it's been, checking
manifold for cracks, and looking at only 4.0L hardtops.
Posting your questions in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys will get you a few
more thing to look out for, although it's heading is willys, I only know of
one guy there who drives a willys. But it is a well used news group
dedicated to jeeps, you can find out anything about any jeep there.

Old September 26th 04, 06:11 PM
Chris Perdue

>From: "Carl Saiyed"

>I would assume the 2.5 liter is pretty weak, so I would want to find one
>with the 4 liter, correct? I drive 40 miles a day so gas mileage really
>isn't a huge issue.

i had a 94 YJ with the 2.5...was no muscle machine on the highway but
adequate...in offroad situations it was fine also...the factory put a really
decent low range ratio in the 4 cylinder models...

>How reliable are said Jeeps as daily drivers?

six years and 80k miles had to replace one axle seal in the front(was covered
under warantee)

>If I buy one with a soft top, is it expensive to aquire a hard top?

depends on if you want aftermarket or factory...aftermarket is about 2k for a
hard top...factory parts would be best if you could find them in a wrecking
yard...the factory had full steel doors with roll up windows...

>How loud is the hard top / soft top when up/on and on the freeway at approx.
>65 versus a regular passenger car.

not sure of the hardtop since i had a soft top...it can be quite loud...if you
take a trip with a passenger you will be a bit hoarse after the trip if you
intend to talk...<G>.... a loud stereo helps with day to day highway
rides.....heh

Chris Perdue

"Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug!"

Remove "PANTS" to e-mail

Wrangler MTR Tires Mladen 4x4 6 September 14th 04 07:04 PM
Goodyear Wrangler AT/R Expedtion Report Peter Strong 4x4 2 September 7th 04 07:05 PM
Wrangler TJ Tire axle gearing Questions Derek Proctor 4x4 6 June 3rd 04 02:28 PM
Where can I get Wrangler window/door hinges? Brian Link 4x4 2 May 17th 04 03:52 PM