Harmon Kardon Looks STUPID!

Old October 21st 04, 11:31 PM
tech27

Default Harmon Kardon Looks STUPID!

Had a nice 2004 325iX as a loaner for a few days. The worst thing about it
was the Karmon Hardon stereo. Actually, it didn't sound bad, but the idiots
put their name in black on silver plates on the tweeters (must help the
sound a lot), as well as the same deal, only bigger, on the rear deck
speakers. Not only is the name overpowering (it's more noticeable than any
BMW id), but it very nicely reflects all the time in the rear glass.

Why would BMW allow such ugly branding on their cars?

Disgusting.

Old October 22nd 04, 03:17 PM
tech27

"Holger Hirschfeld" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
>>was the Karmon Hardon stereo. Actually, it didn't sound bad,

> Then you most probably didn´t have a BT-Kit mounted.
> My Harman Kardon sounds like hell.

I said it didn't sound bad, not that it sounded great, or ever good, but
given the price level of the car I'd say it was base line acceptable. But I
certainly wouldn't be happy with it in the long term.

>>Why would BMW allow such ugly branding on their cars?

> I think that it depends on your point of view. I do not feel disturbed
> by its looks.

Of course that's a matter of personal taste. However, I do object to the
constant distraction of the silver reflections in the rear window. And since
it doesn't sound that good, why bother to "advertise" it. Just tacky in my
opinion.

Old October 24th 04, 05:05 AM
tech27

"Karl Winkler" > wrote in message
om...

> I have a '96 e36 with the deluxe HK system, and I don't notice the
> logos at all. Not only that, but I think the sound is pretty damn
> good, compared to other car systems I've had in other vehicles
> (although this may be not be saying much). So maybe it's the newer
> cars?
>
> Karl Winkler
> Lectrosonics, Inc.
> http://www.lectrosonics.com

Like I said, the sound wasn't bad, but of course it's not as good as the
system in my new M5 (in my opinion).
You are probably right about the "Harmon Kardon" name plates on every
speaker. I've never noticed them on earlier models either. If you see an new
3 series with the HK system, check it out (you'll need to sit in the car to
see the beautiful silver lines reflected in the rear window).

---