Hard top opinions?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 3rd 10, 11:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Default Hard top opinions?

Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2010-05-03, Don Q <Don> wrote:
>> On 2010-05-02 19:12:11 -0400, Grant Edwards > said:
>>
>>> Never lock a Miata.

>> Seriously? Do you have a secondary protection like lo-jack?

> It came with an alarm, but I never arm it. Miatas have used had
> chipped keys for 6-8 years now.
>
>> Otherwise isn't this an invitation for joy riders in the
>> neighborhood?

> From what I've read the theft rate for Miatas is very low. And nobody
> steals car stereos anymore...
>
>> I realize a door lock won't stop a pro thief, but...

> If an ignition lock that requires an RFID chip in the key isn't going
> to stop a joy rider, a Miata door lock sure isn't going to slow them
> down.
>
> Anybody with a coat hanger can open a locked Miata in 15 seconds.
>
> Anybody with a brick can open a locked Miata in 5 seconds.
>
> I accidentally locked my keys in the car once (the stupd "alarm"
> system sometimes decides to arm/lock all on it's own -- which is
> damned annoying). The guy from the locksmith company used a
> fiberglass rod instead of a coat hanger, but he had the car open in a
> few seconds.
>
> If somebody wants to rifle around in my glovebox and then steal $3-4
> worth of change from the cupholder, I'd just as soon they didn't smash
> a window to do it.
>
> If I have to leave something I don't want stolen in the car, I lock it
> in the trunk.
>
>>> I never regretted mine for a second, and I kept it when I moved from
>>> an NA to an NB.

>> I did not realize the two models used interchangeable tops.

> It depends on the exact year/serial-number of the NB, but to move a
> hardtop from an NA to an NB you generally have to change out the
> "hook" parts on the front latches, and the rear window defogger
> requires an adapter cable. Details can be found at:
>
> http://miata.fosketts.net/index.php?...a_Hard_Top_FAQ
>
>> Good to know! (But the third gen looks too different, so I am
>> assuming you can't keep it for another move.)

> Dunno.
>
> I think my next Miata will probably be another NB.

Just so Don doesn't think this is an odd thing, I second this advice,
even on an older Miata without the chip protection.

A couple of other things to consider.....

The hardtop itself becomes an item of interest to some thieves. One
reported hardtop theft happened in a snowstorm and left the car full of
snow.

Leaving the car unlocked is still no guarantee against a stupid thief. I
also remember reading about someone who left their Miata unlocked and
still had the top slashed above the lock. It's just a matter of
adjusting the odds a bit.

I have had two Miatas over 10 years and have never locked either one and
have never had a sign of anyone being in the car that wasn't supposed to
be, knock on wood.

Pat

Opinions? NapalmHeart[_2_] Corvette 8 July 11th 09 02:38 PM
Any opinions on the X5? Ivan Marsh[_2_] BMW 16 September 22nd 08 07:15 AM
your opinions? [email protected] Honda 13 October 23rd 06 06:06 PM
Opinions on a BMW 325 Dan BMW 9 October 31st 04 01:13 PM