93 Grand Cherokee Limited evaporator R&R

Old May 31st 06, 02:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default 93 Grand Cherokee Limited evaporator R&R

It looks like my evaporator is leaking. A charge to the A/C system with dye
resulted in a smell inside the cabin, no external leaks, and it quickly lost
pressure. How much of a PITA job would this be for a do-it-yourselfer? Am I
crazy even considering it? What is the general consensus on a junkyard
replacement? I know they're well burried but most junkyard CG's around here
are pretty well stripped already. Any tips on spotting a good one?

Old May 31st 06, 02:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

It is a big PITA you basically have to remove most of the dash. Do not buy
a junk yard replacement unless you like removing most of your dash twice.
Do-it-yourself depends on your AC knowledge, tools and how much you like
cussing.

Coasty

Old May 31st 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Coasty did pass the time by typing:
> It is a big PITA you basically have to remove most of the dash. Do not buy
> a junk yard replacement unless you like removing most of your dash twice.
> Do-it-yourself depends on your AC knowledge, tools and how much you like
> cussing.

Ditto on the don't buy it from the yard. Who knows if it was
leaking or not. A dealer I use for OEM is www.chryslerpartsdirect.com

Old May 31st 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

> > It is a big PITA you basically have to remove most of the dash. Do not

buy
> > a junk yard replacement unless you like removing most of your dash

twice.
> > Do-it-yourself depends on your AC knowledge, tools and how much you

like
> > cussing.

> Ditto on the don't buy it from the yard. Who knows if it was
> leaking or not. A dealer I use for OEM is www.chryslerpartsdirect.com

As luck would have it, a parts shop nearby has an evaporator for around
$150. That's quite a bit better than the $400 part the shop that diagnosed
the system wanted to stick in it. "Wanted" is probably the wrong term, they
didn't care much for the thought of tearing into it that far either.

I figure what the hell, I have access to other vehicles if need be for a
while, and I have an FSM for the ZJ (It doesn't cover my engine, but the
HVAC should be the same). I think I'll give it a shot when I get a weekend
(or week) all to myself.

Old May 31st 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

> I've done it once to my '84 Thunderbird, next time I'll gladly pay
> a thousand to have it done, but not my '89 Thunderbird's heater core, I
> don't need no stinkin' heater:
> http://www.billhughes.com/jeepDashRemoved.jpg

Y'know, it looks like the biggest pain in the ass would be keeping the
wiring harness straight. I think I'll give it a shot when time permits.
Hopefully everything still works when I put 'er back together.

Old June 1st 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

SBlackfoot proclaimed:

>> I've done it once to my '84 Thunderbird, next time I'll gladly pay
>>a thousand to have it done, but not my '89 Thunderbird's heater core, I
>>don't need no stinkin' heater:
>>http://www.billhughes.com/jeepDashRemoved.jpg

> Y'know, it looks like the biggest pain in the ass would be keeping the
> wiring harness straight. I think I'll give it a shot when time permits.
> Hopefully everything still works when I put 'er back together.

Get a Factory Service Manual before you try to remove the dash. It will
pay for itself.

Every now and then, the memories fade and I try another significant
under or in dash repair job. Thankfully my current ZJ hasn't needed
much and the memories are still fresh. Listen to Bill on this one if
you are much over 35 or not overly limber.

Old June 1st 06, 10:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

> Get a Factory Service Manual before you try to remove the dash. It will
> pay for itself.

I already have one.

Old June 1st 06, 02:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

SBlackfoot did pass the time by typing:
>> Get a Factory Service Manual before you try to remove the dash. It will
>> pay for itself.

> I already have one.

Even with the factory service book (the 2" thick one) it's not
going to cover every nut and bolt like the 2ft thick dealer
service book does. Your best buddy is going to be a digital
camera. Add to that some masking tape, plastic bags, and a pen.
Mark everything so you don't wind up with "spare parts".

That and when your done you can make a cool webpage.

--
DougW

Old June 1st 06, 09:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

> Even with the factory service book (the 2" thick one) it's not
> going to cover every nut and bolt like the 2ft thick dealer
> service book does. Your best buddy is going to be a digital
> camera. Add to that some masking tape, plastic bags, and a pen.
> Mark everything so you don't wind up with "spare parts".

lol Yep, it's the +/- 2" think FSM. I also have a Haynes lying around for
what it's worth, and a Chilton's CD. Plus I've found a couple of
walkthroughs online. Hopefully there won't be any major surprises.

I picked up the brand new evap core today. $160 Canadian after taxes, not
too bad. I need to shop around for a heater core though. Might as wll do it
too while I'm in there...

Old June 2nd 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Hi Doug,
Good ideas, in my experience it was a two step forward, one back
kind of thing. Some how I'd remember that plug that wouldn't reach after
I sealed off that section and go back to that point. At the last of
about twenty hours I was telling myself I didn't care if nothing worked,
but the A/C, fortunately it all did. The pictures are a good idea as no
one believe you when I say the pedals and steering column's got to come
out.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/