oil pressure sending switch

Old December 23rd 05, 09:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default oil pressure sending switch

Ok, this is getting nuts. I have run through 4 oil pressure sending switches
in the past 2 years, I put the last one in on November 4, it is spewing oil
now. I have been buying them at NAPA. Well, I bought 1 and keep getting
replacements under the warranty. (and I can replace them now in total
darkness in about 10 minutes)

Today I stopped at the Saturn dealer and bought the factory replacement,
which was $30+.

Anybody else have this problem?

Old December 23rd 05, 11:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Nope. Two Saturns (1992 & 1994), > 140,000 on each, still on original
senders.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]
---
Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at http://www.evilplastic.com

Old December 27th 05, 01:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

In article <n5_qf.312$X86.80@trnddc04>,
"David Teichholtz" > wrote:

> Anybody else have this problem?

Yep. My Harley popped 'em with yearly regularity. Turned out to be
wicked high oil pressure. Check yours, if it's not more or less in the
midle range, I'd look long and hard at the pump, relief valve, and such.
excessive pressure or just not enough can sometimes pop these silly
sensors...
Old January 2nd 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

> wicked high oil pressure. Check yours, if it's not more or less in the
> midle range, I'd look long and hard at the pump, relief valve, and such.
> excessive pressure or just not enough can sometimes pop these silly
> sensors...

Thanks. I intend to install a 'real' oil pressure gauge soon. I'm not sure
what I will do if I do find abnormally high pressure. We are talking a 95
SW1 with 193,000 miles on her. Car still runs fine, I'll probably just keep
swapping out the sensors under the warranty. I doubt if I will keep the car
much past 300,000 miles or so.

-David

Old January 2nd 06, 03:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

In article <QG%tf.5135$uv.3364@trnddc06>,
"David Teichholtz" > wrote:

> I'm not sure
> what I will do if I do find abnormally high pressure.

It might be worth looking into, as it can screw up other things besides
sensors. Or at least on paper, it can. Or it might be a plugged up
passage. If you're just a bit high, I wouldn't worry though.

> We are talking a 95 SW1 with 193,000 miles on her.

Hmmm.

> Car still runs fine, I'll probably just keep
> swapping out the sensors under the warranty.

hehehehe. Hey, if it's free...

Of course, the pressure relief might be stuck, and you might be really
flooding the crap out of the bearings and all. The big worry is it'll
unstuck and get stuck openish, dropping the pressure too low.

> I doubt if I will keep the car
> much past 300,000 miles or so.

I gave up on mine at 256,000, but there were lots of 'issues' creeping
in, and dammit, I wanted a new car anyway. Not able to pass the smogger
finally condemed it, if it passed, I'd still have it if only so I could
save up more money - I hate buying cars on time...