are all pick-up trucks 4x4 nowadays?

Old December 22nd 05, 02:12 AM posted to alt.trucks.chevy,alt.trucks.ford,alt.autos.dodge.trucks,rec.autos.4x4

Default are all pick-up trucks 4x4 nowadays?

I wonder if most of the newly built pick-up trucks (domestic or
imported) are made in four wheel drive?
I recall in the old days that during the winter, pick-up trucks usually
have problem with tractions, and they have to buy bags of sand to make
sure that the rear wheels are not spinning. What about the new trucks
and pick-ups? Are they now front wheel drive, all wheel drive, or 4
wheel drive? I hardly hear someone complaining that they have to load
their pick up truck with bags of sand any longer. Is this still the
practice during winter months?

Old December 22nd 05, 02:25 AM posted to alt.trucks.chevy,alt.trucks.ford,alt.autos.dodge.trucks,rec.autos.4x4

A 4x4 is an option. Since you pay in fuel mileage, If you don't need
it, don't get it.

oups.com...
:

Old December 22nd 05, 02:49 AM posted to alt.trucks.chevy,alt.trucks.ford,alt.autos.dodge.trucks,rec.autos.4x4

Depending on where you live, and the general common hobbies of your
area you will see more 4x4's. In snow country, wherer i live 4x4 is so
common its hard to find a 2x4 on ther road at the moment. Many have a
newer 2x4 that they use in the summer and an old beater 4x4 that they
use in the winter. In california you may see many more 2x4's then 4
by's. Its all personal choice and preferance.

Old December 22nd 05, 02:52 AM posted to alt.trucks.chevy,alt.trucks.ford,alt.autos.dodge.trucks,rec.autos.4x4

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I wonder if most of the newly built pick-up trucks (domestic or
> imported) are made in four wheel drive?

Yes, and they all have CTD HOs with heated seats.

FMB

Old December 22nd 05, 03:58 AM posted to alt.trucks.chevy,alt.trucks.ford,alt.autos.dodge.trucks,rec.autos.4x4

The use of sand in the bed isn't relegated to 4x2's. My dad and
brother both have put sand tubes in the bed of their 4x4s. It helps
keep the rear wheels planted, helps to get the tires down through the
snow to pavement where they can get traction and keep from sliding
out.

Old December 22nd 05, 03:35 PM posted to alt.trucks.chevy,alt.trucks.ford,alt.autos.dodge.trucks,rec.autos.4x4

Mellowed wrote:

> A 4x4 is an option. Since you pay in fuel mileage, If you don't need
> it, don't get it.

A true 4x4 system (not AWD) doesn't make any significant difference in
milage anymore. For example my 2004 4x4 silverado gets better city milage
than a friends 2005 2wd F150.

Old December 23rd 05, 08:08 AM posted to alt.trucks.chevy,alt.trucks.ford,alt.autos.dodge.trucks,rec.autos.4x4

"mudmonkey" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Depending on where you live, and the general common hobbies of your
> area you will see more 4x4's. In snow country, wherer i live 4x4 is so
> common its hard to find a 2x4 on ther road at the moment. Many have a
> newer 2x4 that they use in the summer and an old beater 4x4 that they
> use in the winter. In california you may see many more 2x4's then 4
> by's. Its all personal choice and preferance.

You would be suprized how may 4X4s there are here in CA that will never be
used....

Old December 23rd 05, 01:56 PM posted to alt.trucks.chevy,alt.trucks.ford,alt.autos.dodge.trucks,rec.autos.4x4

As all else have mentioned, 4X2's are still made and are easy to get, and
yes, it depends on where you live as to what you need, but more often what
you are going to be doing with it. I made the decision to get my '99 F150
Lariat fully loaded with all options, but as a 4x2, simply because although
I live on Long Island and although you can drive on the ocean beach, I was
not going to take a brand new 30K truck out by the salt water. We get snow
here, but not enough to warrant 4WD and it's as flat as a pancake.

oups.com...