rebuild transmission for 94 GC

Old February 27th 05, 02:40 PM
ESM

Default rebuild transmission for 94 GC

Hi all, the transmission in my 94 GC is shot. It won't get out of first. I
don't know how much it will cost to have pulled and repaired. It's been
going south for a good solid year. First it was hard to get into 3rd, had
to modulate the gas. Then it became impossible to get out of first once the
transmission fluid had a few minutes to warm up.

I was thinking that a fully rebuild/reman transmission might be cheaper then
the labor to pull the current trans and then have to repair it and get new
parts. Are there any places in the US that sell fully assembled
transmissions for this vehicle? It's got the I6 and has part time AWD.

Old February 27th 05, 03:24 PM
Jo Bo

Since it has the I6 then it might have the AW4 Asin transmission like the
I6 Cherokees have but I'm not sure. However they are considered bullet
proof. If it were a Cherokee it could be the Throttle Position Sensor on the
throttle body. You my want to try it. It's a ten minute, $30 fix. What
happens is the Transmission Control Unit thinks you have your foot to the
floor and won't shift untill it gets maxed out on the RPM's. Also if it is a
AW4 then it DOES NOT use Chrysler fluid. It uses Dexron. Lots of confusion
and mis information here on trans fluid.

JoBo

om...

Old February 27th 05, 03:30 PM
Jo Bo

If this is a duplicate please ignore as a error occured as I was sending the
original. First you might have the ASIN AW4 transmission as it's a I6. They
are considered bullet proof. And if you do try the Throttle Postion Sensor.
If it's bad the transmission controler thinks your foot is constantlly on
the floor and won't shift till the rpm's are maxed out. This is a common
problem on the I6 Cherokees with automatic. A $30 ten minute fix. Also they
use Dexron fluid, not the Chrysler type.

JoBo

JoBo
om...

Old February 27th 05, 03:43 PM
ESM

Well this is actually the 3rd transmission. It went out at 35k miles,
repaired under warranty, then it went out around 70 or 80k I think, repaired
out out of pocket. Now it's at 140k miles but it's been slowly going south
for a good 10-15k miles. I don't know which box it is. Is there an easy
way to check?

Old February 27th 05, 03:48 PM
Jo Bo

That sounds like a Chrysler tranny not a Asin AW4! I'm not sure how to tell.
I got a build sheet from the dealer on my 96 xj and it listed everything
including the transmission type.

JoBo

Old February 27th 05, 05:46 PM
Rick

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 15:43:32 +0000, ESM wrote:

> Well this is actually the 3rd transmission. It went out at 35k miles,
> repaired under warranty, then it went out around 70 or 80k I think, repaired
> out out of pocket. Now it's at 140k miles but it's been slowly going south
> for a good 10-15k miles. I don't know which box it is. Is there an easy
> way to check?

My Haynes manual says the three speed auto trans. ID #'s are stamped on
the LEFT side of the transmission case just above the pan.

The AW4 transmission ID "tag" is located on the RIGHT rear side of the
case and is an ID tag with numbers stamped to identifym transmission.

--
Rick

Old February 27th 05, 05:56 PM
DougW

ESM did pass the time by typing:
> Hi all, the transmission in my 94 GC is shot. It won't get out of first. I
> don't know how much it will cost to have pulled and repaired. It's been
> going south for a good solid year. First it was hard to get into 3rd, had
> to modulate the gas. Then it became impossible to get out of first once the
> transmission fluid had a few minutes to warm up.
>
> I was thinking that a fully rebuild/reman transmission might be cheaper then
> the labor to pull the current trans and then have to repair it and get new
> parts. Are there any places in the US that sell fully assembled
> transmissions for this vehicle? It's got the I6 and has part time AWD.

If it's just the valve body, that's an easy repair (or replace). Don't even
need to drop the tranny.

try
http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com/moparonline.htm
for OEM without the OEM markup. (I have had good
experiences dealing with them)

--
DougW

Old February 27th 05, 07:39 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Try:
http://www.transonline.com/transdige...ers/index.html
Unless you haven't change the fluid.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old March 18th 05, 05:03 PM
JohnM

Jo Bo wrote:
> That sounds like a Chrysler tranny not a Asin AW4! I'm not sure how to tell.
> I got a build sheet from the dealer on my 96 xj and it listed everything
> including the transmission type.
>
> JoBo

3 failures in under 150K.. yup, sounds like a Chrysler transmission to
me too..
Old March 18th 05, 07:28 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Every automatic transmission will fail at fifty thousand miles if
the fluid hasn't been changed.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/