4.0 Head Gasket Oil Leak

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 22nd 04, 12:08 AM
DougW

Default 4.0 Head Gasket Oil Leak

Matt Osborn did pass the time by typing:
> My dealer showed me an oil leak along the passenger side of the engine
> and said my head gasket needed to be replaced. He also said that DC
> had redesigned the head gasket to prevent these leaks fro the oil
> galleys.
>
> My 2000 TJ has just over 98K miles and I switched to Mobil 1 for the
> first time about two weeks ago. A google search turned up evidence of
> this leak as a common problem, but most decided to ignore it as the
> leak wasn't severe.
>
> Anybody know the true story here?

Just to clarify something. There is a valve cover gasket and
a head gasket. Odds of the head gasket needing replaced because
of an oil leak is about as close to zero as you can get.

What you have is a small leak from the valve cover gasket that's
running back and down the side of your engine. Just like mine does.

A full synthetic will find holes regular dino won't. I'd just wipe
the engine side and watch for where the leak is. If your not getting
drips on the driveway I'd ignore it.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://members.cox.net/wilsond
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Civic Head Gasket Chopface Honda 3 December 17th 04 02:33 AM
Head Gasket Leak? maxpower Chrysler 4 October 11th 04 03:00 PM
Head Gasket Leak? Mandrake Chrysler 0 October 10th 04 10:16 PM