Expected Gas Mileage on a 98' Cherokee

Old February 12th 04, 05:21 PM
Mike Romain

I 'really' don't like your damage description!

It would take a whole ****load more than a fender crunch to 'write off'
a Cherokee. A 'salvage' title means that more damage was done than the
vehicle was worth.....

But that aside, the Cherokee is a great machine! They have a very well
behaved 4x4 system and can go amazing places off road. I have run into
groups of ATVers 'way' back in the Canadian bush and they all figure
there just 'must' be some new trail they don't know about for me to get
back in there. LOL!

My old one only gets around 24 US mpg running easy and fully loaded with
4 adults and camping gear running hard at 75 mph or so down to 20 mpg or
so.

The engines are very strong and long lasting. Ours has over 300,000 km
on it and still only uses a liter of oil between changes.

The newer Cherokees have a few quirks like a tendency to crack the
exhaust manifold, but not much else besides normal maintenance.

There is a good Jeep specific group over at the
rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys newsgroup.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 12th 04, 05:21 PM
Mike Romain

Old February 12th 04, 06:55 PM
Mike Romain

Yes and no....

Do you know any 'good' mechanics you can take it to to have a really
good once over done on it? Preferably with a 4 wheel alignment.

Could be the best $75.00 ever spent on it!!!!

The price is 'radically' low for a 98, sooo.....

We shopped around trying to find a Cherokee in the 3000 dollar range and
most were old rust buckets with tons of miles.

We found a good one by showing up at the guy's house, 25 miles away at
11 at night in a blizzard to be the first ones to look at it. We paid
$2800.00 for a '1988' Cherokee with 250,000 km on it and figured we got
a great deal!!!!!!

Only one main owner before us, the gent selling it only had it for 6
months and liked it so much he went out and bought a brand new one.

Ours is 10 years older than that one you are looking at!!!!!

'I' am good at checking out vehicle damage and have been driving old
beaters since the early 70's and have seen too many bent or warped
frames from collisions to take any 'dealers' word for the damage.

The parts list means dick, did the frame need straightening?

Well, the parts list actually set off alarms in my head, soo...

The Cherokee has a unique setup, it has a full boxed frame under it with
the body tub welded to the top of the frame rails rather than on mounts.

They call it a 'uniframe' unit, not a 'unibody unit'.

On vehicles like that, I look at tire wear very closely. If the frame
is warped, the tires skin off the edges.

If the tires are mis matched, run away fast! That means the skinned off
ones are replaced to make it look like good rubber to sell the thing to
some 'sucker'...

A 4x4 Cherokee 'must' have all 4 tires the same brand and style or the
vehicle isn't safe for the road.

It will 'not' pass a safety inspection with odd or mixed tires and odd
tires mean run fast or drop the price down to 2K 'if' you can find a
mechanic to make the thing work right or safety certify it.....

Strange eh....

I think the price is way too low so am extremely suspicious...

If you are anywhere near Toronto Canada I would be more then pleased to
come check it out for you and I 'really' know my Jeeps.

'Posted and mailed'

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 12th 04, 06:55 PM
Mike Romain

Old February 12th 04, 07:40 PM
Iowa883

Old February 12th 04, 07:40 PM
Iowa883

Old February 12th 04, 08:01 PM
David

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message ...

> I think the price is way too low so am extremely suspicious...

I think a rule of thumb is salvage title means half price.

Old February 12th 04, 08:01 PM
David

Old February 12th 04, 08:39 PM
Mike Romain

David wrote:

> "Mike Romain" > wrote in message ...
> >
> > I think the price is way too low so am extremely suspicious...

> I think a rule of thumb is salvage title means half price.

Yes, but....

Mike