S-10 : anyone know if there are weak spots ?

Old February 14th 04, 04:44 PM
Thomas

Default S-10 : anyone know if there are weak spots ?

Hi,

I have bought a 2000 ZR2 LS last year and I am trying to find out
where the weak spots are. It has just over 40,000 miles on it now.
Driving is mostly done on Michigan Roads, sometimes Off the Michigan
Roads ;-).

I think there is way too much play in the steering, since I can turn
the wheel 5° with little if any influence on the direction.
Also the 31x10.5 BFG AT tires loose Air like nothing ... one week
equals about 5 pounds. Its worse if I do not drive, i.e. leave the
truck at the airport while I am on business trips.

Anybody know what the steering thing could be and/or what I can do to
fix the air loss in the tires ? (I had the guys at firestone check for
leaks and they found zero, zip, zilch)

What else should I check while I am on it ? What about linkage parts ?
Any bushings, ball joins, etc. that tend to wear out prematurely ?
Old February 14th 04, 08:56 PM
rnf2

Ask at alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks for S-10 gurus.

om...

Old February 14th 04, 08:56 PM
rnf2

Ask at alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks for S-10 gurus.

om...

Old February 16th 04, 03:30 PM
Mike Hall

"Thomas" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
>
> I have bought a 2000 ZR2 LS last year and I am trying to find out
> where the weak spots are. It has just over 40,000 miles on it now.
> Driving is mostly done on Michigan Roads, sometimes Off the Michigan
> Roads ;-).
>
> I think there is way too much play in the steering, since I can turn
> the wheel 5° with little if any influence on the direction.
> Also the 31x10.5 BFG AT tires loose Air like nothing ... one week
> equals about 5 pounds. Its worse if I do not drive, i.e. leave the
> truck at the airport while I am on business trips.
>
> Anybody know what the steering thing could be and/or what I can do to
> fix the air loss in the tires ? (I had the guys at firestone check for
> leaks and they found zero, zip, zilch)
>
> What else should I check while I am on it ? What about linkage parts ?
> Any bushings, ball joins, etc. that tend to wear out prematurely ?

It is a good idea to research these things BEFORE buying.. re. loss of
pressure in the tires, alloy rims have a problem in that the laquer can
start to flake away.. if this happens under the bead of the tire, it can
result in loss of pressure.. get the tire place to remove the tires and then
remove any flakey bits of laquer from the rims.. worth a try for sure..

Old February 16th 04, 03:30 PM
Mike Hall

om...