sensors on oil filter housing, 95 VR6 passat

Old May 24th 06, 05:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default sensors on oil filter housing, 95 VR6 passat

Hi,

I have recently had a few stray oil pressure warning buzzers go off on
my 95 passat VR6. The dealership checked the pressure and everything is
up to spec... they said to change to a heavier oil and it would go
away. I still get these warnings occasionally after a long drive.

Next, I checked the sensor on the oil filter housing. To my surprise,
there was two sensors on the housing. One of them is leaking oil out
the top at the connector... I am presuming that this could be causing a
pressure drop and giving me these warnings. I know that the one on the
left-most side of the car is an oil pressure sensor (it has a pressure
spec on it)... Anyone agree?

What is the other sensor? Is it a temp sensor? It is this mysterious
one that is leaking...

I hear that there is two sensors... Anyone know where the other is
located?

Adam S

Old May 25th 06, 01:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Both are for oil PSI and each has a different PSI rating. Low PSI for under
2000rpm & hi pressure for above 2000rpm... just replace both.

ups.com...

Old May 25th 06, 06:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

"Lost In Space/Woodchuck" > wrote in message
> Both are for oil PSI and each has a different PSI rating. Low PSI for
> under 2000rpm & hi pressure for above 2000rpm... just replace both.

Dumb question but I'll ask anyway. Do you need to drain the oil (as if you
were changing the oil) when you are changing the sensor (will oil come out)
or is most/all of the oil pretty much in the sump if the car has been
sitting a while? Just wondering how messy this might end up being...?

Old May 25th 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Matt B. wrote:
> "Lost In Space/Woodchuck" > wrote in message
> > Both are for oil PSI and each has a different PSI rating. Low PSI for
> > under 2000rpm & hi pressure for above 2000rpm... just replace both.

> Dumb question but I'll ask anyway. Do you need to drain the oil (as if you
> were changing the oil) when you are changing the sensor (will oil come out)
> or is most/all of the oil pretty much in the sump if the car has been
> sitting a while? Just wondering how messy this might end up being...?

No mess when I removed them... not easy to get the little buggers out
though. Maybe just my big farmer hands, but I wound up having to weld a
little arm onto an old socket to get them out...

Old May 28th 06, 10:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

"stag5353" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have recently had a few stray oil pressure warning buzzers go off on
> my 95 passat VR6. The dealership checked the pressure and everything is
> up to spec... they said to change to a heavier oil and it would go
> away. I still get these warnings occasionally after a long drive.

More blither, proving that dealerships are not intrinsically any more
reliable
nor knowledgeable than the average jakeleg mechanic.

Old June 5th 06, 03:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

They make special sockets for these sensors. They are not VW specific so
they are not too hard to find. As mentioned they can be a bear to get out
sometimes.

JoBo

ups.com...