Infiniti Q45 oil pan removal procedure

Old December 11th 04, 05:37 PM
Miki

Default Infiniti Q45 oil pan removal procedure

The first step in the service manual says: "Remove engine."

You may not have to remove it, you could probably jack it up. You
would likely have to lift it until it's against the firewall, because
the pan needs quite a few inches of drop-down before it'll clear the
crank counterweights.

Old December 13th 04, 11:30 PM
q45yesman

I'd be very surprised if a 1993 is insured against collision & theft.

You need to drop the oil pan out the bottom.
You do NOT need to remove the Q45 VH45DE engine.
But, you do need to unbolt the two motor mounts.
So you MUST support the engine from above!
Otherwise, you'll be crushed when you remove the front crossmember.
To remove the front crossmember the suspension links come off.
The transverse link must be removed to access crossmember bolts.
Leave the steering rack hanging once you remove the crossmember.
Mechanics can do this in a day.
DIY will take a few weekends as you're essentially removing the engine.
Most of the time you also have to remove the front engine gusset.
That adds about 5 more hours to the job.
That's because the alternator & compressor are bolted to the gusset.
The fan and all the belts have to come off to unbolt these two units.
Remove two rear engine gussets and the flywheel plate.
Support the transmission but leave the tranny mount intact.
You also have to disconnect the steering u-joint just above the rack.
While you're there you may as well replace the two engine mounts.
Also replace the two steering rack bushings while you're already there.
Some replace the alternator while they have it out.
You do not ever wish to remove an alternator after once doing it once.
Only 18 bolts hold the Q45 oil pan onto the engine.
While you're there look for chain guide parts in the oilpan.
Almost all 1990 to 1993 Qs will have lost their chain guides by now.
You can get a kit from Joe at Scottsdale (www.everythingnissan.com).
They are the best price Infiniti parts dealership in the world by far.
If you don't replace those guides you will lose your engine eventually.
Timing chains slip teeth & valves tap dance on your piston head.
Guides & oil pan almost always come in pairs.
Button it all up with RTV red & locktite red and you're all set.
Simple.

The whole procedure is explained on the Nissan Infiniti Club site
www.nicoclub.com

Old December 14th 04, 08:02 AM
Hagrinas Mivali

q45yesman wrote:
> I'd be very surprised if a 1993 is insured against collision & theft.

I have a 1991 that's insured against collision and theft. I also have a
$1000 deductible. The extra coverage cost very little. The replacement
cost for my vehicle through a dealer in my area with my low mileage is
$5,648. Considering that the slightest damage can cost a few thousand
dollars these days, it's been worth it for me. Since the vehicle was new,
my wife has had two minor scrapes with it. They were both expensive to fix,
both well over $1000, and both low enough that they did not raise my rates.
The most recent one was within the past year. The payment I got made up for
the premiums. Had I dropped collision five years ago, or even more, I would
not have saved enough money to have made up for what it would have cost
without it.

Also, many people get insurance when the vehicle is new and just send in a
check when the bill comes without thinking about it. If the extra amount
added up to hundreds of dollars, perhaps I'd consider dropping it.

Old December 14th 04, 09:12 AM
N. Harriet

In article .com>, "Miki" > wrote:
>The first step in the service manual says: "Remove engine."

Are you sure? What manual are you looking at? All Infiniti Q45 cars seem to
come with a shop manual in the trunk, so everyone has one.The shop manual
I have does NOT state to remove the engine in the oilpan removal section.

The bad news is the shop manual only has two pages on the process.
1= Remove engine under cover
2= Drain engine oil
3= Remove fan coupling with fan
4= Remove the following parts
(all drive belts, alternator, air compressor, engine gusset)
5= Remove steering lower joint
6= Set a suitable transmission jack under the transmission.
Hoist engine with engine slinger.
7= Remove suspension member assembly
8= Remove oil pan bolts and nuts
9= Remove oil pan

A lot appears to be missing from the shop manual (which is typical). Just
looking at that front engine crossmember gives me the willies. It must have
dozens of bolts with steering and suspension parts and wires all over the
place.

If anyone has written a good guide to an oil pan removal, pleaes let me know.
Old December 14th 04, 09:16 AM
N. Harriet

In article >, "Hagrinas Mivali"
> wrote:
>>> A biker dropped his pannier in front of me on the freeway.
>>> After dragging the saddlebag for 100 yards, I ran out of oil.
>>> Turns out I gouged and dented my Q45 oilpan beyond repair.

>> Shouldn't either his or your insurance cover this???

>That depends on the insurance.

All I have is liability. Nothing else.
I didn't think anyone covers a car once it hit eight to ten years, do they?
Old December 14th 04, 09:20 AM
N. Harriet

>Shouldn't either his or your insurance cover this???
If you see a guy with a helmet and Aerostitch on a big black BMW with only one
saddlebag, tell him I'm looking for him. He owes me some money. Plus when he
gets home, he's going to want all that stuff that must've been in that
saddlebag (I found gray toshiba portable computer parts all over my engine and
ladies underthings .. no kiddin).
Old December 14th 04, 09:29 AM
N. Harriet

In article .com>, "q45yesman" > wrote:
>I'd be very surprised if a 1993 is insured against collision & theft.

It isn't. I didn't think anyone insured a ten year old Q.

>The whole procedure is explained on the Nissan Infiniti Club site
>www.nicoclub.com

I just looked. That web site is awesome! More about Nissan and Infiniti
cars that all of the usenet combined. But I didn't find the oil pan removal
procedure in the search. Do you have a better link?