A Cars forum. AutoBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AutoBanter forum » Auto newsgroups » 4x4
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

help , 1997 gmc jimmy . towing requirements for utility trailer 2000lb payload

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 10th 13, 04:45 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default help , 1997 gmc jimmy . towing requirements for utility trailer 2000lb payload

I bought a used 1997 gmc jimmy with factory tow package to haul stock for my business. I am looking at a 5 x 10 utility trailer to carry about 2000 lb cargo.

I will be doing two trips of 600 miles and return initially. There are no extreme hills and I plan on the return trip taking 3 or 4 says.

The hitch says 2000lb or 6000 with weight adjusting hitch. The owners manual says electric brakes for over 1000 lb trailer.

Several trailer dealers have told me I do NOT need trailer brakes and my hitch is fine for a trailer of 2990 GVW.

I dont mind spending the money on upgrades since it will be a cost of the business.

Do I need trailer brakes ?
do I need to get a new hitch rated to say 4 - 5000 lbs ?

any comments welcome - this is much harder than I thought