Starforce again

Old January 11th 06, 04:15 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default Starforce again

Sean Cousins wrote:
> http://forums.ubi.com/groupee/forums...2871061083/p/5
>
> posted by I3thHouR
>
> Let me start by saying I am a developer and a Webmaster of a number of
> major Game related sites.
>
> I have 25 years experience in the Business thus I make very sure that
> I have fully researched what I comment about. My credentials precede
> me, I do not agree with or endorse software piracy. However to play my
> existing Starforce games I have had to crack them.
>
> Issues concerning Starforce.
>
> 1. They are based in Moscow so exempt from a number of the laws that
> we in the West rely upon. The 3rd Party Companies that use their copy
> protection are not exempt.
>
> 2. In Windows XP Starforce gives Ring 0 (super user level access) to
> Ring 3 (Standard users). In normal English this basically means that
> any third party application such as Trojans or Viri are given the
> ability to have full access the both software and hardware.
>
> 3. As many of you will be aware XP does have DMA/IDE issue that’s
> dates back to its creation. In which if packets are lost during the
> reading or writing of a disk. XP interprets this as an error and steps
> the IDE speed down. Eventually it will revert to 16bit compatibility
> mode rendering a CD/DVD writer virtually unusable. In some
> circumstances certain drives cannot cope with this mode and it results
> in physical hardware failure (Most commonly in multiformat CD/DVD
> writer drives). A sure sign of this step down occurring is that the
> burn speeds will get slower and slower (no matter what speed you
> select to burn at). Starforce on a regular basis triggers this silent
> step down. Until it reaches the latter stages most peeps do not even
> realise it is happening.
>
> Excluding the Hardware failure, the normal way to cure this is to
> uninstall all the CD/DVD drivers and the Primary/Secondary IDE
> controllers. (Then reboot). If you did not know about Starforce, you
> can now be faced with another problem. Normally windows searches and
> reinstalls the drivers. However with Starforce present this can cause
> the system to either fail to find the hardware or fail to find the
> drivers. Creating the illusion that the hardware has failed.
>
> This gets even worse if you have SCSI hardware/virtual drives. SCSI
> virtual printer driver (basically any SCSI hardware/Virtual drivers
> present) As these may have to be removed before the other hardware
> becomes visible.
>
> 4. Because Starforce are aware of these issues (Including the Trojan
> Gateway) this is exempt from the EULA and could be deemed as "Gaining
> access with malicious intent". Not only would starforce be liable, but
> also the 3rd party company that endorsed/used that application.
>
> Ubisoft really need to do themselves a favour and dump Starforce. They
> have earned their quotas on the existing titles. So there is no reason
> not to make full bypasses available in a legit format.

> [...]

dumb people who have no clue will buy them. There are a lot of people
who have absolutly no idea about this. They then send thier "broken"
computer out for repairs. Some guy makes a buck, and they are happy.
It's called economics( or something like that)...lol..j/k btw

Mike
mls67

GTR and Starforce Engineer Simulators 87 January 17th 06 07:51 PM
Does rFactor come with Starforce? Cowboy Bob Simulators 14 December 29th 05 02:20 AM
SO, GTL? Starforce cause hard reboots? Sting32 Simulators 30 August 22nd 05 09:59 AM
Boycott Starforce reggie white Simulators 8 August 20th 05 05:50 AM
Starforce Mike Beauchamp Simulators 1 October 17th 04 11:55 PM