Land Cruiser or Mitsubishi

Old October 2nd 05, 05:59 PM
aido

Default Land Cruiser or Mitsubishi

Hi

I need to purchase a jeep for work. 60% of the time the jeep will be on
the roads and the remainder of the time in fields. Either a LWB or SWB,
Diesel. I'm planning on spending approximately 18 to 19000 euro in
the republic of Ireland. I have been looking around and it appears that
I will be able to purchase a 2000 or 2001 jeep.

My initial thought was to purchase a Toyota Land cruiser. I have heard
they are very reliable and probably the most reliable of all the jeeps
within my budget.

Secondly I am interested in the Mitsubishi Pajero. The Pajero appears
to have a far nicer interior, and offers more feathers compared to the
Land Cruiser.

What are the common issues with either of these jeeps?
Which is more reliable?
Are the running costs equal?

I would appreciate and welcome your comments

Thanks in advance

Old October 2nd 05, 09:31 PM
Paul Rooney

On 2 Oct 2005 09:59:20 -0700, "aido" > wrote:

>Which is more reliable?

The Toyota.
--

Paul Rooney
Old October 3rd 05, 07:38 AM
Axel Hammer

Paul Rooney schrieb:

> >Which is more reliable?

> The Toyota.

Absolutely.

Old October 3rd 05, 03:12 PM
Greg

Don't know which one to buy, but do know it wont be a Jeep.

oups.com...

Old October 5th 05, 06:47 AM
Bob Walker

"aido" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi
>
> I need to purchase a jeep for work. 60% of the time the jeep will be on
> the roads and the remainder of the time in fields. Either a LWB or SWB,
> Diesel. I'm planning on spending approximately 18 to 19000 euro in
> the republic of Ireland. I have been looking around and it appears that
> I will be able to purchase a 2000 or 2001 jeep.
>
> My initial thought was to purchase a Toyota Land cruiser. I have heard
> they are very reliable and probably the most reliable of all the jeeps
> within my budget.
>
> Secondly I am interested in the Mitsubishi Pajero. The Pajero appears
> to have a far nicer interior, and offers more feathers compared to the
> Land Cruiser.
>
> What are the common issues with either of these jeeps?
> Which is more reliable?
> Are the running costs equal?
>
> I would appreciate and welcome your comments
>
> Thanks in advance

I've had 2 Mitsubishi Montero's, or Pajero's as you know them, and I
absolutely love them. The first was a 1993 that I cionsidered a 'mountain
goat' and the latest is a 2002 Limited that I bought new and have had for
45,000 miles; about 5,000 miles being on rough roads and unmaintained trails
in the US southwest desert. I've bounced it over rocks and through streams
and over mud and sand and after 3 years it doesn't have one single rattle
(unibody) or any mechanical problems, although by looking at the exterior
you'd think it went through hell and back with dents and scratches from the
desert rocks and plants. It only gets 13.5 mpg but it can cruise at 90 mph
all day and is a very comfortable highway and city vehicle. The interior is
very roomy and the front and middle seats fold almost flat into a bed. I
carry a lot of gear inside and on the roof. The roof rack doesn't block the
moon roof, which is large enough for someone in the middle seat to stand up
through it. The audio system is first class with 9 Infinity speakers.

My wife's boss has had several Toyota Land Cruisers and while I would say
that they are a superior vehicle, they are also about 30 - 40% more
expensive than the largest Mitsubishi. A better comparison is the Toyota
Sequoia. I have a Toyota Avalon and I give equal praise to each company for
service and reliability. As much as I would like a V8 I still prefer the
Mitsubishi.

Bob Walker

Old October 6th 05, 03:57 AM
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

aido wrote:

> Hi
>
> I need to purchase a jeep for work. 60% of the time the jeep will be on
> the roads and the remainder of the time in fields. Either a LWB or SWB,
> Diesel. I'm planning on spending approximately 18 to 19000 euro in
> the republic of Ireland. I have been looking around and it appears that
> I will be able to purchase a 2000 or 2001 jeep.
>
> My initial thought was to purchase a Toyota Land cruiser. I have heard
> they are very reliable and probably the most reliable of all the jeeps
> within my budget.

What year and model? It may make a difference.

Here (in the USA) Landcruisers have changed significantly lately. I have
a '97 FJ80 but I wouldn't touch one of the newer USA models. On the
other hand, the models and equipment packages available in the rest of
the world may differ significantly from what we can get over here
(diesel, for one thing, solid axles for another).

--
Paul Hovnanian
Error: Keyboard not attached. Press F1 to continue.
Old October 10th 05, 08:38 AM
lacruiser

"What are the common issues with either of these jeeps?
Which is more reliable? "

Aido, the answer to your question can be found by looking at what
vehicles are used in the 3rd world countries. You'll discover that in
former British colonies, it's usually LandRover, and in others, it's
LandCruiser. There's a reason for this, the cruiser is WAY overbuilt,
and much more reliable than the Rovers.

If you buy one of the 80-series diesels, you may be surprised to learn
that the automatic transmission that's fitted to the truck is the same
one that's used in a bus in Japan. That's why these auto boxes
routinely go 250,000 miles without rebuild, sometimes many more miles.
I can write many more paragraphs about other components on the truck
that are very heavy-duty, but suffice it to say that the trucks are
very tough. I'm in the car business in California, and I've had many
offroad trucks, but the cruiser is the one that I take out for many
many seriously nasty trails, and it just doesn't break. I'm out
wheeling with other brands of vehicles, and with the abuse we subject
our vehicles to, the others eventually break. Jeeps are particularly
light-duty vehicles, so if you're going to do some tough trails, you
should buy the cruiser. If you're going to do only easy dirt roads,
the Jeep would do.

Old November 6th 05, 11:48 AM
A Mate

I drive a Mitsubishi Pajero DiD diesel. Will go anywhere I'm likely to need
to - tho' perhaps not over as rough terrain as a Cruiser would!!!!
On the highway it cruises beautifully. It's comfortable. It cost me about
$10KAUD less than a comparably equipped Cruiser - and it has a warranty for
5 years, as opposed to 3 for as Cruiser.

QED for me!

oups.com...

Old November 6th 05, 12:46 PM
Erik-Jan Geniets

A Mate wrote:

> I drive a Mitsubishi Pajero DiD diesel. Will go anywhere I'm likely to need
> to - tho' perhaps not over as rough terrain as a Cruiser would!!!!
> On the highway it cruises beautifully. It's comfortable. It cost me about
> $10KAUD less than a comparably equipped Cruiser - and it has a warranty for
> 5 years, as opposed to 3 for as Cruiser.
>
> QED for me!
>
> "aido" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Hi
> >
> > I need to purchase a jeep for work. 60% of the time the jeep will be on
> > the roads and the remainder of the time in fields. Either a LWB or SWB,
> > Diesel. I'm planning on spending approximately 18 to 19000 euro in
> > the republic of Ireland. I have been looking around and it appears that
> > I will be able to purchase a 2000 or 2001 jeep.
> >
> > My initial thought was to purchase a Toyota Land cruiser. I have heard
> > they are very reliable and probably the most reliable of all the jeeps
> > within my budget.
> >
> > Secondly I am interested in the Mitsubishi Pajero. The Pajero appears
> > to have a far nicer interior, and offers more feathers compared to the
> > Land Cruiser.
> >
> > What are the common issues with either of these jeeps?
> > Which is more reliable?
> > Are the running costs equal?
> >
> > I would appreciate and welcome your comments
> >
> > Thanks in advance

I think the Jeep is the worst choice. Not reliable enough. Breaks down
every now and then.
The Pajero en the Cruiser are both very good cars. I prefer the Cruiser
mainly because of the looks.
I would even go for an older cruiser above a Pajero.
Anyway you won't regret buying either of these.
Kind regards,
Erik-Jan.