iRacing = crack in a box

Old June 23rd 08, 07:14 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default iRacing = crack in a box

On Jun 23, 10:31 am, Tony R >
> >> Bitches better prepare yourself, simracing is back.

> > But for how long? We've been weaned on non-stop variety for two years
> > with rFactor and GTR2. You're going to be content with a half dozen
> > cars and tracks? Yes, there are more but the $ mounts up quick. And
> > there's the protracted, boring apprenticeship with the Solstice and...
> > that other one. Maybe novelty is the real crack.

> If that was the case this place would be alive with posts about new mods
> and tracks rather than discussing the quality of delivery pizzas...

Haha, good point.
I'll probably get an IR trial membership, nevertheless, out of sheer
curiosity.
Old June 23rd 08, 09:38 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

Ok, a few points, speaking for myself...

First, the mess that rFactor has become is exactly what I want to get AWAY
from.

Second, does iRacing cost? Yes. Is it expensive? Depends on your
perspective. When you pays your $156 for a full year, you also get $60 in
iRacing $$$ to spend on tracks, cars, etc.... so it's not _that_ bad.

And the "protracted, boring apprenticeship with the Solstice and..." thing
is only as protracted and boring as you make it. Race clean, and often, and
you're out of there in no time.

I went through that stage. LOL, several times, actually You'll live.

-Larry

Old June 23rd 08, 11:06 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
0-0-0-0-0

So just to be clear on your view Larry....

You're saying that rFactor with ALL it's FREE mod content is a "mess"

but as long as you have to PAY for new stuff -- then it's "not_that_bad".

LOL - kind of funny when you look at it that way isn't it !?!

Old June 24th 08, 02:03 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ed Medlin[_2_]

"Larry" > wrote in message
> Ok, a few points, speaking for myself...
>
> First, the mess that rFactor has become is exactly what I want to get AWAY
> from.
>
> Second, does iRacing cost? Yes. Is it expensive? Depends on your
> perspective. When you pays your $156 for a full year, you also get $60 in
> iRacing $$$ to spend on tracks, cars, etc.... so it's not _that_ bad.
>
> And the "protracted, boring apprenticeship with the Solstice and..." thing
> is only as protracted and boring as you make it. Race clean, and often,
> and you're out of there in no time.
>
> I went through that stage. LOL, several times, actually You'll live.
>
> -Larry

I like rFactor fine. The main problem is that there are just so many
mods......and a lot of them very much the same, that it gets confusing
especially online.

BTW Larry.......I haven't heard anything from iRacing yet. I have signed up
for their newsletter and all but still no word on the invite.

Ed

Old June 24th 08, 03:40 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Scott B. Husted

0-0-0-0-0 wrote:
> So just to be clear on your view Larry....
>
> You're saying that rFactor with ALL it's FREE mod content is a "mess"
>
> but as long as you have to PAY for new stuff -- then it's "not_that_bad".
>
> LOL - kind of funny when you look at it that way isn't it !?!

You can eat a ton of food at Taco Bell for $9.99, or you can get a great
meal at a premium steak house for $50.

You can get 'full' at either, but I know I'll enjoy and remember the
steak house dinner much more. Taco Bell is great when I'm hungry, only
have $10 on me, and don't have the time for the steak house.

--
Scott B. Husted®
http://www.RacingHistorian.com

Old June 24th 08, 06:43 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony R

Uwe Schürkamp wrote:

>> If that was the case this place would be alive with posts about new mods
>> and tracks rather than discussing the quality of delivery pizzas...

> I'm not sure I can agree with you here, Tony (although I normally do
> on other matters). Simracing communication is mostly done using those
> pesky web forums these days (which also is a blessing because it keeps
> the myspace type kiddies at a safe distance ;-), and I think the
> recent buzz in here about iRacing ist mostly due to us "old school"
> GPL types still checking RAS for news every once in a while.

The reference was to novelties though, I don't think RAS is the place
you will see the novelty "it rocks" posts you will see on the pesky web
forums.

Those hardened few left will know the real deal when they see and still
post up the negatives.

In the food analogy that seems to be taking off here iRacing is the high
quality restaurant for sure but the menu is limited. If you don't fancy
what is on the menu it then best to go elsewhere and check back to see
what is new every now and then. If you like what is on offer there is no
doubt the quality is top notch.

Cheers
Tony
Old June 24th 08, 08:56 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovich

Tony R:
> Uwe Schürkamp:
>>> If that was the case this place would be alive with posts about new mods
>>> and tracks rather than discussing the quality of delivery pizzas...

>> I'm not sure I can agree with you here, Tony (although I normally do
>> on other matters). Simracing communication is mostly done using those
>> pesky web forums these days (which also is a blessing because it keeps
>> the myspace type kiddies at a safe distance ;-), and I think the
>> recent buzz in here about iRacing ist mostly due to us "old school"
>> GPL types still checking RAS for news every once in a while.

> The reference was to novelties though, I don't think RAS is the place you
> will see the novelty "it rocks" posts you will see on the pesky web
> forums.
>
> Those hardened few left will know the real deal when they see and still
> post up the negatives.
>
> In the food analogy that seems to be taking off here iRacing is the high
> quality restaurant for sure but the menu is limited. If you don't fancy
> what is on the menu it then best to go elsewhere and check back to see
> what is new every now and then. If you like what is on offer there is no
> doubt the quality is top notch.

Five years ago, when I used to race online, I had problem, I was an
European who liked Nascar races. There were not too many people online when
I was awake. I don't know what is the situation now, how many people race
online, but I wonder, if you like to eat at Taco Bell, will you eat there
alone? -- Mario Petrinovich

Old June 25th 08, 02:02 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

"0-0-0-0-0" > wrote in message

> So just to be clear on your view Larry....

hmmm....

> You're saying that rFactor with ALL it's FREE mod content is a "mess"

Yep. Can't keep up with it, it's utterly fragmented, completely out of
control, and something I personally don't have the time to deal with.

> but as long as you have to PAY for new stuff -- then it's "not_that_bad".

No, it's not. Not when it's quality materials managed in a quality manner.
Not a screwed up free-for-all like rFactor is.

> LOL - kind of funny when you look at it that way isn't it !?!

I find nothing funny about the current rFactor mess.

I have NO problem with rFactor (other than I don't much care for ISI engine
based sims). It's the uncontrolled mess that the whole tracks, cars, mods
thing has become. Every time I've EVER tried to join a race I either didn't
have the right Mod, track, version of track or mod, or whatever. I spent
more time trying to keep up with the changes than racing.

At least in iRacing if something changes, you get an "Update Required" flag
and you mash a button to update. And EVERONE has to do it so everyone is on
the same page.

If rFactor would incorporate something like that, 90% of my gripes with
rFactor would go away.

Old June 25th 08, 02:04 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

Or...

iRacing is the Mac, rFactor is the PC.

LOL

-Larry

Old June 25th 08, 02:05 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

Agreed on the rFactor thing...

As for the invites, we are keeping them on their toes with "when" questions.
Trust me

-Larry