Gonna Buy Me A New Mustang Sedan, Or Wagon.

Old December 15th 06, 02:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
My Name Is Nobody

Default Gonna Buy Me A New Mustang Sedan, Or Wagon.

"Lynn McGuire" > wrote in message
>> A four-door Mustang in V6 and GT configurations? Call it something else.
>> This redefines what a Mustang is and weakens the brand altogether. Sorry,
>> Ford, but your Mustang is an American ICON, which means that just about
>> everyone has a pretty good idea of what the name connotes. By bringing it
>> out in sedan and wagon models, you reduce the Mustang to the rest of the
>> herd, losing the very appeal that makes it your top nameplate.

> http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Conte...ge&c=DF YPage
>
> Ford of Australia seems to disgree with you. And, you can get all
> the way from the base 250 hp 4.0L I-6 to the 350 hp 4V 5.4L Boss
> V8 (and with a six speed manual, cool).
>
> Lynn

Uh, no Ford Australia seems to be in total agreement with Dwight. You are
mistaken, those ARE NOT Mustangs, they are Falcons, Fairmonts & Futuras...

Old December 15th 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...nWagon-RVL.jpg

> Never. As in, never in production or available to the general public.
> Prototypes hardly count.

> That being said, I HATE that "new" Mustang. Looks very much to me like a
> Magnum wannabe, and I don't care for the Magnum.

REALLY? You don't like the Magnum?! I think this may be the first
time in 10 or so years we've been sharing this space in USENET that we
strongly disagree. Because I absolutely love the Magnum! In fact, I'm
going to rent one soon to take on a nice long trip. That long wagon
sleek body, chopped roof and a Hemi under the hood, what's not to love?

> I know that Ford is desperate, but I have to believe that diluting the
> Mustang's genes with sedans and wagons is NOT the way to go. They're banking
> on increased sales that may well not be there.

I think my biggest problem with these new Mustang sedans and wagons is
that the entire Ford line would/could soon be the Mustang line. And
with so many Mustang-looking vehicles in their lineup, the Mustang
uniqueness would be gone/lost. That said, again, I'd still like to see
a few GT500Ks built.

> A four-door Mustang in V6 and GT configurations? Call it something else.
> This redefines what a Mustang is and weakens the brand altogether. Sorry,
> Ford, but your Mustang is an American ICON, which means that just about
> everyone has a pretty good idea of what the name connotes. By bringing it
> out in sedan and wagon models, you reduce the Mustang to the rest of the
> herd, losing the very appeal that makes it your top nameplate.

Just to add some more debate what about the new Mini Traveler or the
fact the WRX comes in both sedan and wagon versions?

> No, I think that if you want to finally kill the Mustang off, that's the way
> to go.

I think Ford could get away with building a few Mustang wagons or
sedans. I'm sure there would be enough collectors willing to snap them
up to have something unique, but if Ford were to make a Mustang line of
cars and produce 1,000s and 1,000s every year for a number of years the
Mustang name would forever be ruined.

Patrick

Old December 15th 06, 03:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

In article . com>, wrote:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...nWagon-RVL.jpg

Somewhere there is a falcon wagon with a full shelby treatment. It was a
racing support vehicle back in the 60s.

> I think my biggest problem with these new Mustang sedans and wagons is
> that the entire Ford line would/could soon be the Mustang line.

Better than the early 80s when they were all fairmonts. oh wait... the
mustang was fairmont too....

> I think Ford could get away with building a few Mustang wagons or
> sedans. I'm sure there would be enough collectors willing to snap them
> up to have something unique, but if Ford were to make a Mustang line of
> cars and produce 1,000s and 1,000s every year for a number of years the
> Mustang name would forever be ruined.

They just should just bite the bullet and bring the falcon and the ute
over. They can make a wagon out of it as well.

Old December 15th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_1_]

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> dwight wrote:
>
>> > I'm sorry.. did you say "never"?

>> > http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...05/cdwagon.jpg

> http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...nWagon-RVL.jpg
>
>> Never. As in, never in production or available to the general public.
>> Prototypes hardly count.

>> That being said, I HATE that "new" Mustang. Looks very much to me like a
>> Magnum wannabe, and I don't care for the Magnum.

> REALLY? You don't like the Magnum?! I think this may be the first
> time in 10 or so years we've been sharing this space in USENET that we
> strongly disagree. Because I absolutely love the Magnum! In fact, I'm
> going to rent one soon to take on a nice long trip. That long wagon
> sleek body, chopped roof and a Hemi under the hood, what's not to love?

Paint it black, it's a hearse. You know I'm no fan of the current Chrysler
styling. And I've never liked the chopped hot rod look, especially in
production vehicles. One man's sleek is another man's oogly. That 6.1 Hemi
sounds interesting, though...

>> I know that Ford is desperate, but I have to believe that diluting the
>> Mustang's genes with sedans and wagons is NOT the way to go. They're
>> banking
>> on increased sales that may well not be there.

> I think my biggest problem with these new Mustang sedans and wagons is
> that the entire Ford line would/could soon be the Mustang line. And
> with so many Mustang-looking vehicles in their lineup, the Mustang
> uniqueness would be gone/lost. That said, again, I'd still like to see
> a few GT500Ks built.

GT500KW. A nice little 4-door station wagon.

>> A four-door Mustang in V6 and GT configurations? Call it something else.
>> This redefines what a Mustang is and weakens the brand altogether. Sorry,
>> Ford, but your Mustang is an American ICON, which means that just about
>> everyone has a pretty good idea of what the name connotes. By bringing it
>> out in sedan and wagon models, you reduce the Mustang to the rest of the
>> herd, losing the very appeal that makes it your top nameplate.

> Just to add some more debate what about the new Mini Traveler or the
> fact the WRX comes in both sedan and wagon versions?

If someone tucked a Mini into my Christmas stocking, I'd trade it in the
next day. And the WRX...? Ask me again, when it even APPROACHES the iconic
stature of the Mustang nameplate. Matter o' fack, that WRX would make a
sweet little crossover, if Subaru could figure out the weight ration and
handling characteristics to match it up with an expanded cargo area... Maybe
they should look into a hatchback design.

>> No, I think that if you want to finally kill the Mustang off, that's the
>> way
>> to go.

> I think Ford could get away with building a few Mustang wagons or
> sedans. I'm sure there would be enough collectors willing to snap them
> up to have something unique, but if Ford were to make a Mustang line of
> cars and produce 1,000s and 1,000s every year for a number of years the
> Mustang name would forever be ruined.
>
> Patrick

We agree there. Mustang = pony car, and a 4-door V6 Mustang might as well be
named "Camry."

dwight

Old December 15th 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_1_]

"Brent P" > wrote in message
. ..
> In article . com>,
> wrote:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...nWagon-RVL.jpg

> Somewhere there is a falcon wagon with a full shelby treatment. It was a
> racing support vehicle back in the 60s.
>
>> I think my biggest problem with these new Mustang sedans and wagons is
>> that the entire Ford line would/could soon be the Mustang line.

> Better than the early 80s when they were all fairmonts. oh wait... the
> mustang was fairmont too....

Preach it. I own a couple of those Fairmonts.

The 2005, unless I'm mistaken, is the first wholly-Mustang Mustang, built
from the ground up to BE a Mustang. In other words, Ford FINALLY got it
right, after 40 years of building Mustangs on other platforms.

To now build a sedan or wagon and slap the "Mustang" nameplate on it would
be insulting.

dwight

Old December 15th 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
wadner

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...1065/MICROSITE

> > Good idea, bad idea? Post your comments.

> Old Idea.
>
> Ford first toyed with it about 40 years ago.

I'd buy one of these!

http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Conte...ge&c=DF YPage

Old December 15th 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox

wadner wrote:
> Brent P wrote:
>> In article . com>, wrote:

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...1065/MICROSITE

>>> Good idea, bad idea? Post your comments.

>> Old Idea.
>>
>> Ford first toyed with it about 40 years ago.

> I'd buy one of these!
>
> http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Conte...ge&c=DF YPage

Oh, oh my. Okay NOW we have crossed the line...
http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Conte...1024&c=DFYPage
--
“I intended that "not stupid" be a requirement.” – Seth
Breidbart
Old December 15th 06, 11:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, WindsorFox wrote:
> wadner wrote:

>> http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Conte...ge&c=DF YPage

> Oh, oh my. Okay NOW we have crossed the line...
> http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Conte...1024&c=DFYPage

Just go for the whole 9 yards already...
Falcon XR8 Ute.
http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Conte...1024&c=DFYPage

Old December 16th 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe[_1_]

"dwight" > wrote in
:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...yGT350StationW
> [...]

> the iconic stature of the Mustang nameplate. Matter o' fack, that WRX
> would make a sweet little crossover, if Subaru could figure out the
> weight ration and handling characteristics to match it up with an
> expanded cargo area... Maybe they should look into a hatchback design.
>
>>> No, I think that if you want to finally kill the Mustang off, that's
>>> the way
>>> to go.

>> I think Ford could get away with building a few Mustang wagons or
>> sedans. I'm sure there would be enough collectors willing to snap
>> them up to have something unique, but if Ford were to make a Mustang
>> line of cars and produce 1,000s and 1,000s every year for a number of
>> years the Mustang name would forever be ruined.
>>
>> Patrick

> We agree there. Mustang = pony car, and a 4-door V6 Mustang might as

Following the logic, does that mean the 2-door V6 Mustang is the
"Accord"?
Old December 16th 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_1_]

"Joe" > wrote in message
> "dwight" > wrote in
> :
>
>> > wrote in message
>> ups.com...

> http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...yGT350StationW
>>> agon-RVL.jpg

>>> REALLY? You don't like the Magnum?! I think this may be the first
>>> time in 10 or so years we've been sharing this space in USENET that
>>> we strongly disagree. Because I absolutely love the Magnum! In
>>> fact, I'm going to rent one soon to take on a nice long trip. That
>>> long wagon sleek body, chopped roof and a Hemi under the hood, what's
>>> not to love?

>> Paint it black, it's a hearse. You know I'm no fan of the current
>> Chrysler styling. And I've never liked the chopped hot rod look,
>> especially in production vehicles. One man's sleek is another man's
>> oogly. That 6.1 Hemi sounds interesting, though...

>>> I think my biggest problem with these new Mustang sedans and wagons
>>> is that the entire Ford line would/could soon be the Mustang line.
>>> And with so many Mustang-looking vehicles in their lineup, the
>>> Mustang uniqueness would be gone/lost. That said, again, I'd still
>>> like to see a few GT500Ks built.

>> GT500KW. A nice little 4-door station wagon.

>>> Just to add some more debate what about the new Mini Traveler or the
>>> fact the WRX comes in both sedan and wagon versions?

>> If someone tucked a Mini into my Christmas stocking, I'd trade it in
>> the next day. And the WRX...? Ask me again, when it even APPROACHES
>> the iconic stature of the Mustang nameplate. Matter o' fack, that WRX
>> would make a sweet little crossover, if Subaru could figure out the
>> weight ration and handling characteristics to match it up with an
>> expanded cargo area... Maybe they should look into a hatchback design.

>>> I think Ford could get away with building a few Mustang wagons or
>>> sedans. I'm sure there would be enough collectors willing to snap
>>> them up to have something unique, but if Ford were to make a Mustang
>>> line of cars and produce 1,000s and 1,000s every year for a number of
>>> years the Mustang name would forever be ruined.
>>>
>>> Patrick

>> We agree there. Mustang = pony car, and a 4-door V6 Mustang might as
>> well be named "Camry."
>>
>> dwight

> Following the logic, does that mean the 2-door V6 Mustang is the
> "Accord"?

No. Solara.

)