Gonna Buy Me A New Mustang Sedan, Or Wagon.

Old December 14th 06, 02:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default Gonna Buy Me A New Mustang Sedan, Or Wagon.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...1065/MICROSITE

Good idea, bad idea? Post your comments.

Here are mine. I would love to see the Mustang chassis used to produce
some new RWD cars! And while, I love quirky vehicles (I own a Honda
element), and vehicles with some amount of utility (reason I love
hatchback Mustangs), I think Ford, and the Mustang name, would be
better off calling this sedan & wagon idea something other than
Mustang, AND using body panels that look nothing like a Mustang. That
said, I'd still love to see a limited production run of that GT500K
wagon.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-Mustang-She... QcmdZViewItem

Patrick

Old December 14th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe[_1_]

wrote in
ups.com:

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?
AID=/20061213/FREE/612110
> 29/1065/MICROSITE
>
> Good idea, bad idea? Post your comments.
>
> Here are mine. I would love to see the Mustang chassis used to
> produce some new RWD cars! And while, I love quirky vehicles (I own
> a Honda element), and vehicles with some amount of utility (reason I
> love hatchback Mustangs), I think Ford, and the Mustang name, would be
> better off calling this sedan & wagon idea something other than
> Mustang, AND using body panels that look nothing like a Mustang. That
> said, I'd still love to see a limited production run of that GT500K
> wagon.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-Mustang-She...imited-Ed-Art-

Print
> _W0QQitemZ6638712574QQihZ012QQcategoryZ14047QQcmdZ ViewItem
>

> Patrick

Patrick, I totally agree with you. It's something that might actually
help Ford save its collective ass. DC has already done this to an
extent with the 300, Magnum, and Charger. Great way to leverage a
single chassis design.

Joe
Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC
Old December 14th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
chris

I agree, build and expand on the platform all you want, but call the
sheetmetal something else. Mustang has never been a wagon or sedan, always a
two door coupe, and as iconic as the Mustang is, it should stay that way.

If you want to add a second set of doors to it, bring back the Fairlane,
Maverick or Futura nameplate.

ups.com...

Old December 14th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Hawgman

I'm sorry.. did you say "never"?

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...05/cdwagon.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...nWagon-RVL.jpg

Old December 14th 06, 05:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

In article . com>, wrote:

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...1065/MICROSITE

> Good idea, bad idea? Post your comments.

Old Idea.

Ford first toyed with it about 40 years ago.

Old December 14th 06, 05:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, chris wrote:
> I agree, build and expand on the platform all you want, but call the
> sheetmetal something else. Mustang has never been a wagon or sedan, always a
> two door coupe, and as iconic as the Mustang is, it should stay that way.
>
> If you want to add a second set of doors to it, bring back the Fairlane,
> Maverick or Futura nameplate.

Maverick came in two door and later four door versions. I wouldn't mind a
new two door maverick. Problem is, ford would intentionally cripple the
maverick in the US as it did in the 70s in favor of mustang

Old December 14th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight

"Hawgman" > wrote in message
. com...
> I'm sorry.. did you say "never"?
>
> http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...05/cdwagon.jpg
>
> http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...nWagon-RVL.jpg

Never. As in, never in production or available to the general public.
Prototypes hardly count.

That being said, I HATE that "new" Mustang. Looks very much to me like a
Magnum wannabe, and I don't care for the Magnum.

I know that Ford is desperate, but I have to believe that diluting the
Mustang's genes with sedans and wagons is NOT the way to go. They're banking
on increased sales that may well not be there.

A four-door Mustang in V6 and GT configurations? Call it something else.
This redefines what a Mustang is and weakens the brand altogether. Sorry,
Ford, but your Mustang is an American ICON, which means that just about
everyone has a pretty good idea of what the name connotes. By bringing it
out in sedan and wagon models, you reduce the Mustang to the rest of the
herd, losing the very appeal that makes it your top nameplate.

No, I think that if you want to finally kill the Mustang off, that's the way
to go.

dwight

Old December 14th 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Backyard Mechanic

Joe > wrote:

> wrote in
> ups.com:

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?
> AID=/20061213/FREE/612110
>> 29/1065/MICROSITE
>>
>> Good idea, bad idea? Post your comments.
>>
>> Here are mine. I would love to see the Mustang chassis used to
>> produce some new RWD cars! And while, I love quirky vehicles (I own
>> a Honda element), and vehicles with some amount of utility (reason I
>> love hatchback Mustangs), I think Ford, and the Mustang name, would be
>> better off calling this sedan & wagon idea something other than
>> Mustang, AND using body panels that look nothing like a Mustang. That
>> said, I'd still love to see a limited production run of that GT500K
>> wagon.

>> Patrick

> Patrick, I totally agree with you. It's something that might actually
> help Ford save its collective ass. DC has already done this to an
> extent with the 300, Magnum, and Charger. Great way to leverage a
> single chassis design.

what am I missing here?

What difference does it make that Mustang is the first-use?

Let the custom carriage shops convert it to wagons or sedan deliveries,
just like before..
you pay..DEAL with it!
Old December 15th 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Lynn McGuire

> A four-door Mustang in V6 and GT configurations? Call it something else. This redefines what a Mustang is and weakens the brand
> altogether. Sorry, Ford, but your Mustang is an American ICON, which means that just about everyone has a pretty good idea of what
> the name connotes. By bringing it out in sedan and wagon models, you reduce the Mustang to the rest of the herd, losing the very
> appeal that makes it your top nameplate.

http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Conte...ge&c=DF YPage

Ford of Australia seems to disgree with you. And, you can get all
the way from the base 250 hp 4.0L I-6 to the 350 hp 4V 5.4L Boss
V8 (and with a six speed manual, cool).

Lynn

Old December 15th 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> A four-door Mustang in V6 and GT configurations? Call it something else. This redefines what a Mustang is and weakens the brand
>> altogether. Sorry, Ford, but your Mustang is an American ICON, which means that just about everyone has a pretty good idea of what
>> the name connotes. By bringing it out in sedan and wagon models, you reduce the Mustang to the rest of the herd, losing the very
>> appeal that makes it your top nameplate.

> http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Conte...ge&c=DF YPage
>
> Ford of Australia seems to disgree with you. And, you can get all
> the way from the base 250 hp 4.0L I-6 to the 350 hp 4V 5.4L Boss
> V8 (and with a six speed manual, cool).

They don't sell the mustang down under (except for some special imports),
they sell falcons. Nobody here will have a problem with sedans, wagons,
utes, or anything else on the mustang platform carrying names like
falcon, maverick, and ranchero. The key is that it isn't called a
mustang.