right front knocking

Old August 25th 05, 12:00 AM
T T

Default right front knocking

When i hit even small bumps, i get a knocking sound in the fight front
area. 2 shops said that my struts are new & the rest of the front end is
fine. they said thats normal for the gt suspension. it only bangs on the
passenger side. it handles great & the steering is tight. one shop
thought it might be the upper strut mount. the other shops said no.
HELP......

thanx a bunch......

Old August 25th 05, 03:14 AM

1) Sway bar ends would be a place to look. The rubber insulators get
worn out over time and break off. Cheap/easy to fix at home with simple
tools.

OR

2) the brake caliper insulators. These are little rubber/metal sleeves
that the front brake caliper bolts get inserted into. Cheap/easy to fix
at home with simple tools.

I have had 1 + 2 make a noise similar to the one you are describing.

OR

3) You could also have a bad/worn out front A-Arm bushing. Fairly hard
to fix at home and you need lots of tools. Think of dismantling your
entire front suspension.

Tech/Money tip: With regards to 3) above, FRPP sells brand new a-arms
with new ball joints and bushings installed for about the same price as
new balljoints in your existing arms plus labor. For some extra money
you can have new balljoints and bushings in a new a-arm assembly. I just
did a set of these on my 86 coupe and it worked out great.

Chris

Old August 25th 05, 12:44 PM
T T

Thanx Chris. gonna check those out this morning.

Old August 25th 05, 03:40 PM
tom

"T T" > wrote in message
> When i hit even small bumps, i get a knocking sound in the fight front
> area. 2 shops said that my struts are new & the rest of the front end is
> fine. they said thats normal for the gt suspension. it only bangs on the
> passenger side. it handles great & the steering is tight. one shop
> thought it might be the upper strut mount. the other shops said no.
> HELP......
>
> thanx a bunch......

Depending on how loud the knock is...it could be something as simple as that
black-plastic-front-spoiler-thing coming loose and rattling around under the
front bumper, which is connected with those panhead plastic friction
fasteners. I had a noisy right front (kinda like you described) and
refastened mine with stainless steel bolts. Problem solved.

Old August 26th 05, 12:37 PM
SVTKate

I too have mystery knocking, at slow sppeds in turning big and little bumps.
It has been there for some time I have even suspected the transmission
mounts because it seems to tellegraph through the firewall. BUT you know how
mystery noises are, theymove like gypsies!

We have had this car up in the air at least four times looking for it.

I'm going to take the ideas offered in this post and look again. If we find
anything, we will holler.

"T T" > wrote in message
: When i hit even small bumps, i get a knocking sound in the fight front
: area. 2 shops said that my struts are new & the rest of the front end is
: fine. they said thats normal for the gt suspension. it only bangs on the
: passenger side. it handles great & the steering is tight. one shop
: thought it might be the upper strut mount. the other shops said no.
: HELP......
:
: thanx a bunch......
: