Super Beetle Frame problem?

Old August 30th 10, 07:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
OldIron

Default Super Beetle Frame problem?

Hello

I am looking at my '73 SB vert, and the frame head in front is pretty
torched.
The body is in quite good shape, though...

Any ideas on what/how to replace a SB frame-head? I am a decent
welder, but was curious if any had attempted this feat.

Also, does anyone know if/where to locate/purchase a framehead for a
super?

Thanks

OldIron
Old September 3rd 10, 04:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky[_3_]

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 13:05:33 -0500, OldIron wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am looking at my '73 SB vert, and the frame head in front is pretty
> torched.
> The body is in quite good shape, though...
>
> Any ideas on what/how to replace a SB frame-head? I am a decent welder,
> but was curious if any had attempted this feat.
>
> Also, does anyone know if/where to locate/purchase a framehead for a
> super?
>
> Thanks
>
> OldIron

SB frame heads are stupidly expensive these days :-(

You can get a full bottom repair plate , depending on where yours has
rotted..

The replacement procedure is just a mater of alignment and good welding.

I did mine with the body off. made a jig from the floor pan to the front
frame head mounts of the original head, then cut the FH off where it
meets the tunnel(see you new head to see where to cut) , and line the new
head up using the jig. the fuel line needs to be dealt with where it
exits / enters the head

- it's been a few years since I did mine, I'll see if I still have the
photo's.

Rich
Old September 3rd 10, 06:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Randall

On 8/30/2010 11:05 AM, OldIron wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am looking at my '73 SB vert, and the frame head in front is pretty
> torched.
> The body is in quite good shape, though...
>
> Any ideas on what/how to replace a SB frame-head? I am a decent
> welder, but was curious if any had attempted this feat.
>
> Also, does anyone know if/where to locate/purchase a framehead for a
> super?
>
> Thanks
>
> OldIron

On the Samba forum last month I brought up the question of how to
straighten a frame head.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427456
A VW repair shop employee I talked to on the phone said a junkyard
replacement pan for my Type 3 could cost anywhere from $500 to $2000. In
many cases it might be cheaper to straighten your frame rather than look
for another decent one.

-- Randall

Old September 7th 10, 03:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
OldIron

Thanks
Unfortunately, the problem is rust and corrosion, not collison
based...
OldIron

Old September 8th 10, 10:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky[_3_]

On Mon, 06 Sep 2010 21:11:42 -0500, OldIron wrote:

> Thanks
> Unfortunately, the problem is rust and corrosion, not collison based...
> OldIron
>
> On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 10:30:52 -0700, Randall >
> wrote:
>
>>On 8/30/2010 11:05 AM, OldIron wrote:
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> I am looking at my '73 SB vert, and the frame head in front is pretty
>>> torched.
>>> The body is in quite good shape, though...
>>>
>>> Any ideas on what/how to replace a SB frame-head? I am a decent
>>> welder, but was curious if any had attempted this feat.
>>>
>>> Also, does anyone know if/where to locate/purchase a framehead for a
>>> super?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> OldIron

>>On the Samba forum last month I brought up the question of how to
>>straighten a frame head.
>>http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427456 A VW repair shop
>>employee I talked to on the phone said a junkyard replacement pan for my
>>Type 3 could cost anywhere from $500 to $2000. In many cases it might be
>>cheaper to straighten your frame rather than look for another decent
>>one.
>>
>>-- Randall

I cant find my 'resto' thread. I'll see if I have any photo's hiding on
my hard drive somewhere.

I would agree though, if at all possible, a repair is a good option !

as far as replacing. the thing that needs to be correct is the position
of the front chassis mounting holes. you need a way of referencing the
new holes on the new frame head, after you have cut the old one off.

I used angle bolted to the floor pan with alginment mark for where the
frame head needs to be. then you can remover your old frame head, and
know where the new one needs to be. I hope that makes sense ???

oh ... and the welds need to be really good !
Old September 11th 10, 04:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
OldIron

Tricky
I love the angle-iron idea. I have tons from old garage doors. I can
use them and mark accordingly.
Yeah, as I'm not that good at the old spark machine, I have a friend
who is a steam-fitter that will performing the surgery for me...
I'll do the frame-headectomy and prep-work and then she'll be firing
up the old Hobart...
Photos would be of GREAT help!!
Thanks
OldIron

On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 04:13:44 -0500, tricky