longer intake manifold studs?

Old August 29th 10, 03:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Scott

Default longer intake manifold studs?

I've recently switched intakes and now the studs in the heads that
bolt down the intake manifolds are too short (they used to always be a
little bit too short, but now they're so short that the nut only goes
on about half way). Anyhow, pulled one out by double-nutting it so
they aren't stuck too bad.

So hopefully one simple question -- in a case like this does one
usually buy a longer stud, or does one just reinstall the existing
studs backed out a little bit more?

Thanks,
Scott
Old August 29th 10, 04:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani[_2_]

"Scott" > wrote in message
> I've recently switched intakes and now the studs in the heads that
> bolt down the intake manifolds are too short (they used to always be a
> little bit too short, but now they're so short that the nut only goes
> on about half way). Anyhow, pulled one out by double-nutting it so
> they aren't stuck too bad.
>
> So hopefully one simple question -- in a case like this does one
> usually buy a longer stud, or does one just reinstall the existing
> studs backed out a little bit more?
>
> Thanks,
> Scott

you could put them in a bit from bottomed, if needed... if you do use some
thread locker so they don't just twist in... My preference would be to buy
some longer studs, but that's just me...

Old August 30th 10, 01:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jim Ed

I have long studs on my 1600cc DP Type 1.
I use 2 nuts on each stud to make sure the intake manifold does not
come loose.

Old August 31st 10, 01:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jim Ed

On Aug 29, 7:15*pm, Jim Ed > wrote:
> *I have long studs on my 1600cc DP Type 1.
> *I use 2 nuts on each stud to make sure the intake manifold does not
> come loose.

Using two nuts to lock the manifold down may not be such a good idea.
This makes it difficult when replacing the plugs.
I removed the no. 2 and no. 4 nuts or the rear most nuts on the
intake manifold to get the plugs out easier.

Old September 1st 10, 04:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Scott

I ended up going with the longer studs, and some of the 11mm nuts and
wavy washers for them. The nuts are a bit tall, but I made sure to
check and make sure the spark plug socket would still fit (closer
quarters than I'd like, but doable).

Exhaust manifold no longer made- option? Bubba[_2_] Technology 23 March 19th 08 03:11 AM
Do I need to replace my intake manifold? Raul Honda 6 October 24th 07 11:01 PM
Intake Manifold/O2 Sensor [email protected] Technology 1 April 14th 07 08:44 PM
Intake manifold dosio Ford Explorer 7 February 20th 07 09:53 PM
5.9 Hi-Po Intake Manifold RCSnyder Jeep 11 February 3rd 06 12:52 AM