Paging Joel Jacobs

Old August 14th 04, 10:57 PM
Tom in Missouri

Default Paging Joel Jacobs

Hey, Joel,

I found a page with your name on it.
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/D...oldvettes.html

Are you the one that bought this '63 coupe? Man, it looks rough.

Old August 14th 04, 11:03 PM
Joel Jacobs

"Tom in Missouri" > wrote in message
link.net...
> Hey, Joel,
>
> I found a page with your name on it.
> http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/D...oldvettes.html
>
> Are you the one that bought this '63 coupe? Man, it looks rough.

Nope, not me......

Had a '61 IN '61..... then have had since then: '89, '91, '95 (all bought
new), and now own a '94 that I bought from a friend.

After my '61 I have had ZERO interest in owning C1s, C2s, or C3s.

Joel

Old August 15th 04, 12:28 AM
Tom in Missouri

Oh well, that what happens with names - too many people have them.

It always gets me in the sci fi movies that the characters on other planets
are often one-name characters and yet they are uniquely identified. Make
you wonder if they are 50 character planets or something.

Old August 15th 04, 05:00 AM
Joel Jacobs

"Tom in Missouri" > wrote in message
hlink.net...
> Oh well, that what happens with names - too many people have them.
>
> It always gets me in the sci fi movies that the characters on other

planets
> are often one-name characters and yet they are uniquely identified. Make
> you wonder if they are 50 character planets or something.

I figure around 35.

Joel

Old August 15th 04, 05:35 AM
Rufio

"Joel Jacobs" > wrote in message

> "Tom in Missouri" > wrote in message
> hlink.net...
> > Oh well, that what happens with names - too many people have them.
> >
> > It always gets me in the sci fi movies that the characters on other

> planets
> > are often one-name characters and yet they are uniquely identified.

Make
> > you wonder if they are 50 character planets or something.

> I figure around 35.
>
> Joel

What about Shaq, Madonna, Michael, Saddam, Evita, Adolf, Fidel, Prince,
Axel, Sting, etc. - it's the important people who only have/need 1 name
(gotta get ME one of those) !

Old August 15th 04, 05:11 PM
W. Moore

Hi Joel,
Curiosity......please elaborate on why you don't care for the older cars.
Thanks.

Old August 15th 04, 10:40 PM
Joel Jacobs

> Hi Joel,
> Curiosity......please elaborate on why you don't care for the older cars.
> Thanks.

Older cars... so many of them so lovely to look at, and they hold such
wonderful memories that I can pull up - and often do - at will. For me,
though, the old cars deserve to remain just that - memories - or something
owned by someone else that I can look at and say, "I drove from Naples to
Milan in one of those," and smile at the thought.

The truth is, of course, as delightful as many of those old cars were they
were very much a product in development and oh how we loved them! Up until
about 1965 I could tell you the make and model of anything on the road.
From '29 A models to the 250 GTE Ferrari, and on into, "Oh, that? That's a
62 Sedan de Ville." Or a "Jaguar XK-140." The list could go on, but you get
the idea.

I've had passel of cars that I've loved, a few that I disliked, and a
couple that I downright hated. Mostly, though, it's been a long line of
things I've loved and many that I've coveted.

Why don't I care for older cars? Well, most of them out ran the brakes and
the lights, they wore out quickly (most cars in the 50s and 60s needed ring
and valve jobs at 50,000, 60,000 miles), the wipers were mostly ineffective,
the AC and heating systems were mostly inferior, the cars, overall, were
uncomfortable, and anything "power" usually didn't work very long, or all
too often, at all.

On the other hand, my current C4, with 114,000 on the clock uses no oil,
will nudge past the 160 mark, the power stuff all works, the brakes will
haul my fanny down from 140 with no fade, no drift, and save my rear end in
the process.

And then there's a sound system better than many people have in their homes,
a comfort level worthy of an $1,800 recliner, gas mileage approaching
so-called "economy cars," and such sheer handling performance that old cars
sit back and look and say, "That's what I want to be when I grow up!"

Should someone want an old car I say, "Have at it. Do what makes you happy."
As for me, I'll let those older cars remain pleasant memories, or something
that I can look at in a museum or at a car show and remember, "Man, that
ride from Ouray to Silverton, what a ride!"

Joel

Old August 15th 04, 11:19 PM
Dad

> Should someone want an old car I say, "Have at it. Do what makes you
happy."
> As for me, I'll let those older cars remain pleasant memories, or

something
> that I can look at in a museum or at a car show and remember, "Man, that
> ride from Ouray to Silverton, what a ride!"
>
> Joel

I must agree whole heartedly, let the old Corvettes rest in peace. That
comfort (or lack there of) that you mentioned in the old cars would just
barely allow you to get out of the old solid axel Corvettes after a 10 hour
drive. Even nearly 47 seven years later at my present age I survive a 10
hour trip much better than I did back then. Corvettes were made to drive,
who wants to have one to look at? My problem is that with two to drive,
which one do I take today, short cruise 72, trip, 2004.
--
Dad
04 C5 CE Z51

Old August 16th 04, 02:24 PM
Bob G.

>I must agree whole heartedly, let the old Corvettes rest in peace. That
>comfort (or lack there of) that you mentioned in the old cars would just
>barely allow you to get out of the old solid axel Corvettes after a 10 hour
>drive. Even nearly 47 seven years later at my present age I survive a 10
>hour trip much better than I did back then. Corvettes were made to drive,
>who wants to have one to look at? My problem is that with two to drive,
>which one do I take today, short cruise 72, trip, 2004.

]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

Very true... Having 5 of these "Toys" and none being a C5 my "trip
Car" is my 95 ...right now it sits above my 79 on the one lift, and
it has been there for over a month... (no trips lol)...

Most of you know I am in my "early 60's, and the comfort issue is now
a major one... the 95 was purchased within daysafter doing the First
National Corvette Caravan only because my wife (and me too) were
honestly beat to hell on that trip driving my 72 .. sore back, sore
ass, loose teeth, hot feet and a lot more "little" pains at the end of
each days drive...

All That said... The 95 will be replaced with either a C5 or new C6

BUT I have absolutely no desire to sell the 64 or 72 or 76 or the 79
They are all very well suited to my "needs" ... (fun) at 2000 to
3000 miles driven ( per car) they have not been a major problem to
maintain.. and all just a hoot to drive (under 200 miles that is)

Just my opinion...

Bob Griffiths

Old August 16th 04, 07:22 PM
Joel Jacobs

<snip>

> Most of you know I am in my "early 60's, and the comfort issue is now
> a major one... the 95 was purchased within daysafter doing the First
> National Corvette Caravan only because my wife (and me too) were
> honestly beat to hell on that trip driving my 72 .. sore back, sore
> ass, loose teeth, hot feet and a lot more "little" pains at the end of
> each days drive...

I too am in my early '60s..... I've got about 40,000 miles in C5s, and I
like them, but cannot bring myself to climb out of the C4s as I think they
are much much much better looking cars. I think the front end of the C5s and
C6s are just plain, flat, ugly. But, that's just me....

Joel