Will it sell?

Old February 16th 08, 01:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

Default Will it sell?

Ed White wrote:
> "Michael Johnson" > wrote in message
>> I decided to put my 1989 LX 5.0L on ebay and see what happens. I never
>> thought this day would come but I really think it is time to move on to a
>> newer Mustang. I need to get rid of the old one first since I don't have
>> the garage space for two cars that would be basically "toys" for the most
>> part. Here's a link: http://tinyurl.com/2acoet

> It is a very nice looking car. However, it is my guess you won't be able to
> sell it on Ebay. The success rate on Ebay is pretty low, and I think with a
> $10k opening level, it is going to be hard to for an individual seller to
> generate any interest. When I looked tonight, there were 41 1989 Mustangs on
> Ebay, and yours had the highest listed price of any non Saleen / non
> convertible 1989 Mustang. The mods are very valuable, but I think you are
> going to need to find a real enthusiast to get full value. The problem with
> Ebay is that you get a very limited time window. Autotrader or Cars.com will
> leave the ad up for a very long time, which works in your favor. Craig's
> List is a great deal too....
>
> I spent almost a year shopping for a late model 2 seat Thunderbird on Ebay
> before I finally found one that was a "deal." During that time I tracked the
> sales of similar cars and only about 1 in 20 sold on the first try. Two
> years later when I decided to sell the T bird, I tried Ebay, but got
> nowhere. Eventually I sold it off an Autotrader Ad (interestingly to a Ford
> Dealer).
>
> Good luck.

I put it on ebay because they had a great deal for listing autos last
week. I will put it in a local trader if it doesn't sell.

Old February 16th 08, 02:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

The Wolf With the Red Roses wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 16:25:42 -0500, Michael Johnson >
> wrote something wonderfully witty:
>
>> I decided to put my 1989 LX 5.0L on ebay and see what happens. I never
>> thought this day would come but I really think it is time to move on to
>> a newer Mustang. I need to get rid of the old one first since I don't
>> have the garage space for two cars that would be basically "toys" for
>> the most part. Here's a link: http://tinyurl.com/2acoet
>>

> Not to me, and not at that price.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.
Old February 16th 08, 04:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
elaich[_2_]

Michael Johnson > wrote in
:

> Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Well, you asked "will it sell?" so you were asking for opinions, right?

Gainesville, VA... wow, does that take me back. I grew up in NOVA in the
50s/60s, and Gainesville was just a blinking light on 29-211. I can just
imagine what it looks like now compared to then.

I wish you the best, but I don't think you'll sell it at that price. You
must realize that most Mustang enthusiasts are either for the original
models, or the late model retros. The Fox bodied 4 eyes and aero styles are
really kind of a ******* child in the lineage, and it takes a real Fox body
freak to appreciate them. I wouldn't give up my '83 GT for anything, but
I'm one of those Fox freaks.
Old February 16th 08, 04:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

elaich wrote:
> Michael Johnson > wrote in
> :
>
>> Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

> Well, you asked "will it sell?" so you were asking for opinions, right?

Someone once told me that many times it isn't what you say but how you
say it that is important.

> Gainesville, VA... wow, does that take me back. I grew up in NOVA in the
> 50s/60s, and Gainesville was just a blinking light on 29-211. I can just
> imagine what it looks like now compared to then.

You wouldn't recognize the place now. Imagine 10,000+ new homes and
hundreds of acres of shopping centers and that is what is here today.

> I wish you the best, but I don't think you'll sell it at that price. You
> must realize that most Mustang enthusiasts are either for the original
> models, or the late model retros. The Fox bodied 4 eyes and aero styles are
> really kind of a ******* child in the lineage, and it takes a real Fox body
> freak to appreciate them. I wouldn't give up my '83 GT for anything, but
> I'm one of those Fox freaks.

The car will sell to someone that knows their way around modding a
Mustang in a serious nature. Too many have no clue as to the cost and
work associated with putting a seriously modified car together. I'm not
looking for those that a) don't have the money to spend and b) doesn't
know the true value of the modifications. Price out the mods I have
listed and consider the good condition the car is in and any serious
buyer will know the price is more than reasonable. If someone is
looking to steal it then they need to move on. I don't have to sell it
and there are plenty of other venues available to market it. One way I
could probably sell it quickly, and for more money, is to get it
licensed and take the prospective buyer for a ride.

I really want a convertible and the redesigned Mustangs are supposed to
be here for the 2009 model year. The Fox car has been good to me but
I'm ready for something newer.
Old February 16th 08, 01:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe[_95_]

Michael Johnson > wrote in
:

> Joe wrote:
>> Michael Johnson > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> I decided to put my 1989 LX 5.0L on ebay and see what happens. I
>>> never thought this day would come but I really think it is time to
>>> move on to a newer Mustang. I need to get rid of the old one first
>>> since I don't have the garage space for two cars that would be
>>> basically "toys" for the most part. Here's a link:
>>> http://tinyurl.com/2acoet

>> You traitorous rat *******! I thought you were going to leave it to
>> me in your will...

> Stand in line. I have youngsters in the family that are very upset
> with me right now. They thought it would be one of theirs one day
> too. The trouble with them is they have ridden in (and in some cases
> even driven) the car and know how well 460 ft-lbs of torque can light
> up the rear wheels and pin you back in the seat during hard
> acceleration.

Seriously, I'd keep it. A car like that is a family heirloom, not to
mention a real fun toy.
Old February 16th 08, 03:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

Joe wrote:
> Michael Johnson > wrote in
> :
>
>> Joe wrote:
>>> Michael Johnson > wrote in
>>> :

>>> You traitorous rat *******! I thought you were going to leave it to
>>> me in your will...

>> Stand in line. I have youngsters in the family that are very upset
>> with me right now. They thought it would be one of theirs one day
>> too. The trouble with them is they have ridden in (and in some cases
>> even driven) the car and know how well 460 ft-lbs of torque can light
>> up the rear wheels and pin you back in the seat during hard
>> acceleration.

> Seriously, I'd keep it. A car like that is a family heirloom, not to
> mention a real fun toy.

I want a convertible and I simply don't have the space in the garage for
two cars. Plus, the newer cars are very good performers and in reality
are just better cars period. It also helps that I really like the looks
of the new Mustangs.
Old February 16th 08, 04:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Zodness

"Michael Johnson" > wrote in message
> Joe wrote:
>> Michael Johnson > wrote in
>> :

>>> Stand in line. I have youngsters in the family that are very upset
>>> with me right now. They thought it would be one of theirs one day
>>> too. The trouble with them is they have ridden in (and in some cases
>>> even driven) the car and know how well 460 ft-lbs of torque can light
>>> up the rear wheels and pin you back in the seat during hard
>>> acceleration.

>> Seriously, I'd keep it. A car like that is a family heirloom, not to
>> mention a real fun toy.

> I want a convertible and I simply don't have the space in the garage for
> two cars. Plus, the newer cars are very good performers and in reality
> are just better cars period. It also helps that I really like the looks
> of the new Mustangs.

New ones have air bags both sides, smother ride. And all the parts are new.
I did not like the throttle response of the new ones, nor the drone of the
muffler. Perhaps 09 ?? Few like to ride in my 93 5.0 8# (modded ex cop
car) because suspension is stiff, and is too quick for them. Scares most
people. I like it. Rough and fast, somewhat not new inside, and cheap faded
blue paint shot over the black and white. (except for the performance type
of people). Great around town fast.

MJ's 89 is a good deal, as all the work is done, drive it for a few years
for fun, sell it later.

Old February 16th 08, 11:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

Zodness wrote:
> "Michael Johnson" > wrote in message
>> Joe wrote:
>>> Michael Johnson > wrote in
>>> :

>>> Seriously, I'd keep it. A car like that is a family heirloom, not to
>>> mention a real fun toy.

>> I want a convertible and I simply don't have the space in the garage for
>> two cars. Plus, the newer cars are very good performers and in reality
>> are just better cars period. It also helps that I really like the looks
>> of the new Mustangs.

> New ones have air bags both sides, smother ride. And all the parts are new.
> I did not like the throttle response of the new ones, nor the drone of the
> muffler. Perhaps 09 ?? Few like to ride in my 93 5.0 8# (modded ex cop

Poor throttle response on the new cars is a common complaint. Thottles
on the new ones are controlled by electronics and not an actual cable
connection from the accelerator pedal to the throttle body. The after
market tuners chips can resolve this issue through revisions to the
computer programming. Actually, the new Stangs get 20-30 rwhp from a
custom tune and better drivability to boot.

> car) because suspension is stiff, and is too quick for them. Scares most
> people. I like it. Rough and fast, somewhat not new inside, and cheap faded
> blue paint shot over the black and white. (except for the performance type
> of people). Great around town fast.

The fox Mustangs are really a throw back to the late 60s and early 70s
muscle cars, IMO. They are fun to drive and tough as hell. What is
driving me to get a new one is that I have had convertibles on and off
since I was in college and haven't owned one for 4-5 years and really
want another one.

Old February 17th 08, 02:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe[_106_]

Michael Johnson > wrote in
:

> Zodness wrote:

>>> I want a convertible and I simply don't have the space in the garage
>>> for two cars. Plus, the newer cars are very good performers and in
>>> reality are just better cars period. It also helps that I really
>>> like the looks of the new Mustangs.

>> New ones have air bags both sides, smother ride. And all the parts
>> are new. I did not like the throttle response of the new ones, nor
>> the drone of the muffler. Perhaps 09 ?? Few like to ride in my 93
>> 5.0 8# (modded ex cop

> Poor throttle response on the new cars is a common complaint.
> Thottles on the new ones are controlled by electronics and not an
> actual cable connection from the accelerator pedal to the throttle
> body. The after market tuners chips can resolve this issue through
> revisions to the computer programming. Actually, the new Stangs get
> 20-30 rwhp from a custom tune and better drivability to boot.
>
>> car) because suspension is stiff, and is too quick for them. Scares
>> most people. I like it. Rough and fast, somewhat not new inside, and
>> cheap faded blue paint shot over the black and white. (except for
>> the performance type of people). Great around town fast.

> The fox Mustangs are really a throw back to the late 60s and early 70s
> muscle cars, IMO. They are fun to drive and tough as hell. What is
> driving me to get a new one is that I have had convertibles on and off
> since I was in college and haven't owned one for 4-5 years and really
> want another one.
>
>> MJ's 89 is a good deal, as all the work is done, drive it for a few
>> years for fun, sell it later.

So Michael, what are you thinking about? A garden-variety GT
convertible, or something a bit more exotic?
Old February 17th 08, 03:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

Joe wrote:
> Michael Johnson > wrote in
> :
>
>> Zodness wrote:

>>> New ones have air bags both sides, smother ride. And all the parts
>>> are new. I did not like the throttle response of the new ones, nor
>>> the drone of the muffler. Perhaps 09 ?? Few like to ride in my 93
>>> 5.0 8# (modded ex cop

>> Poor throttle response on the new cars is a common complaint.
>> Thottles on the new ones are controlled by electronics and not an
>> actual cable connection from the accelerator pedal to the throttle
>> body. The after market tuners chips can resolve this issue through
>> revisions to the computer programming. Actually, the new Stangs get
>> 20-30 rwhp from a custom tune and better drivability to boot.
>>
>>> car) because suspension is stiff, and is too quick for them. Scares
>>> most people. I like it. Rough and fast, somewhat not new inside, and
>>> cheap faded blue paint shot over the black and white. (except for
>>> the performance type of people). Great around town fast.

>> The fox Mustangs are really a throw back to the late 60s and early 70s
>> muscle cars, IMO. They are fun to drive and tough as hell. What is
>> driving me to get a new one is that I have had convertibles on and off
>> since I was in college and haven't owned one for 4-5 years and really
>> want another one.
>>
>>> MJ's 89 is a good deal, as all the work is done, drive it for a few
>>> years for fun, sell it later.

> So Michael, what are you thinking about? A garden-variety GT
> convertible, or something a bit more exotic?

Well, I would prefer a GT500 convertible but I just can't justify the
premium they have put on them. I am leaning toward a Mustang GT or
maybe one of the specialty Mustangs like a Bullit and then eventually
putting a Kenne Bell kit on it. I won't go hog wild with the mods
again. The KB kits are complete and well done cost about $4,000-$5,000
which really is a bargain for the power it delivers. A GT with a KB kit
delivers performance nearly on par with a stock GT500 and for $15k-$20k
less considering the price of GT500 convertibles.

This being said I will look at all the convertibles in the mid $30k to
mid $40k range. I'm really not that interested in mega horsepower and
just want enough to make it a decent performer, something that can run a
low 14, high 13 second 1/4 mile. I will consider other things like
handling, build quality, fit and finish, ergonomics etc. Until I drive
some cars it is hard to say which way I will go. The Mustang does
provide a lot of car for the money though so I think it has the initial
edge. Especially considering the after market performance parts it has
available.

Sell BMW blackmarketdata.com BMW 1 September 7th 07 01:51 AM
how to sell a BMW? ELD BMW 6 May 28th 06 03:30 AM
Trying to sell your car? lnd BMW 0 August 26th 05 12:01 AM
Sell your Car jushil General 5 December 27th 04 11:08 PM
Sell A Car www.VehixTrader.com General 0 December 27th 04 09:43 PM