EA NASCAR Demo Is Released

Old January 22nd 05, 06:25 PM
John Simmons

In article > ,
says...
> John,
>
> You need to try it for your won edification. I have run it since it came out
> and am not reviewer and won't attempt it.
>
> What I have read previously is true, and false. It was only after I saw,
> drove, messed with all the settings that I satisfied my own curiosity.
>
> I appreciate what you say (I read this group daily and have for years, just
> don't post much).
>
> So do a girl racer a favor and try it. I am interested in YOUR opinion, not
> your opinion based on others comments...
>
> ;-)

First, EA's entry into this gaming genre has been anything but
impressive, or even noteworthy. Historically, their nascar games have
always sucked, so it shouldn't surprise you to see so many people
assuming it's gonna suck without even seeing the demo.

Second, I have an LCD screen and I run everythig at 1280x1024. I can
tell you right now that if I'm not happy with the visuals, it doesn't
matter WHAT the rest of the demo might have in it. Since the demo
doesn't allow me to run the game at the monitor's native resolution, the
visuals will damn sure be less than impressive.

Third, a lot of people who's opinions I respect are saying it's crap (or
no better than the crap we saw last year from EA). I know for a fact
that most of those people have the same outlook I do. This saves me a
lot of time.

Fourth, I heard that EA said the demo isn't anything like what the final
product would be like. If that's the case, why the hell should I waste
my time looking at a demo that does not truely represent the product?

Why does it matter whether or not you're a "girl racer"? I'm here for
sim racing, not pandering to women's sensitivities (or anyone else's for
that matter).

Old January 22nd 05, 06:41 PM
RHinNC

Thanks for the reply

Old January 22nd 05, 11:48 PM
jwilson54

Yes ,exactly like a boat,I really wanted this to be a great sim but I.m
afraid its business as usual at EA.

Old January 23rd 05, 01:57 AM
John DiFool

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:03:38 GMT, Mitch_A >
wrote:

>ZZ wrote:
>
>> Maybe it's just me, but I figured I'd ask. Does anyone get the
>> impression that driving the cars it feels like drving a boat? The first
>> impression I got was this thing is floating and wallowing around all
>> over. I had no sensation of what was happening.
>> I've never driven a stock car, but I never thought it would feel like
>> driving a boat. Is it me or the setups? Maybe it's the new physics? So
>> far it just feels like something is wrong with the demo to me.
>>
>> Does someone have a decent setup for the tracks?
>>

>I get that same feeling, or lack of ZZ. Larry was just telling me that he
>feels like hes floating in GTR, I can only imagine what his impression of
>this thing is IMO its a horrible effort and totally on par with all the
>other EA crap.
>
>I dont think EA has ANY clue what a true simmer wants.
>
>Mitch

I thought you were one of their more staunch defenders Mitch? ;-)

JD

Old January 23rd 05, 04:37 AM
Mitch_A

John DiFool wrote:

> I thought you were one of their more staunch defenders Mitch? ;-)
>
> JD

Hehe. Not at all. I just want something better than NR2003 and as far
as I can tell NSR isnt going to be it. I always thought F1C and its
mods were decent and I LOVE both the R-Factor and GTR demos but this
seems a step back not forward. The couple things I did like is the
sensation of speed and the UI

Its kinda like Linux. If you even mention once you think XP is still a
superior desktop solution you are labeled forever Even though Ive
never said anything but GTR and R-Factor surpass 03.

I love Papy and its too bad they no longer exist to give us NR2005 which
Im sure would be leaps beyond NSR or 03 but they dont and all I can do
is hope someday things improve. Ive seen here on RAS that this demo
doesnt reflect the final version but history shows us little change from
a demo to the final.

Mitch
Old January 23rd 05, 06:22 AM
Alan Le

> Anyone else only getting 16 bit as options?

Not saying you wouldn't have caught this, but NSR puts 32-bit resolutions
first. This is contrary to the F1C titles which always listed them after
the 16-bit ones.

Alan

Old January 23rd 05, 11:43 AM
Edgecrusher

I have and it always default back to the low res settings.

_____

Steve

"Military intelligence, two words combined that can't make sense."

Old January 23rd 05, 02:54 PM
clancy

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 08:47:21 -0500, "Steve Blankenship"
> wrote:

>Yes, but like 16bit, it only goes up to 1024X768 (which is less than I run
>any game at). Tried kicking the desktop up to 1600X1200 before running the
>3D Config since I usually have it at 1024X768 and thought that might be the
>issue, but it didn't help. Could easily run higher res in the game but the
>lame config util won't allow it.

I have 1600 x 1200 available in the 3D config utility, as well as the
32-bit modes.

Radeon 9800 with latest 5.1 drivers.
Old January 23rd 05, 04:32 PM
RHinNC

> Second, I have an LCD screen and I run everythig at 1280x1024. I can
> tell you right now that if I'm not happy with the visuals, it doesn't
> matter WHAT the rest of the demo might have in it. Since the demo
> doesn't allow me to run the game at the monitor's native resolution, the
> visuals will damn sure be less than impressive.

I have a 19" LCD and can run the demo at 1600x1200 32bit with no issues.
Very sharp graphics.

However as you have as well, the native resolution on my LCD is 1280x1024
and that is the resolution that I run the sim.
Graphics are very good.

Now the sim itself is another story...lol