Way Off Topic: Brawl In Detroit

Old November 22nd 04, 02:38 PM
Patrick

Default Way Off Topic: Brawl In Detroit

I'm sure everyone has seen the clips of this on the news.

----
INDIANA Pacers forward Ron Artest was yesterday banned for the rest of
the NBA season, the longest non-drug suspension in league history.

Artest will miss the final 72 games of the season for sparking a melee
in which Pacers players traded punches with Detroit Pistons supporters
in the stands and on the court during a game on Saturday.
"What he (Artest) did was unforgivable," NBA commissioner David Stern
said. "It was a horrible scene and it is up to us to see it is not
repeated.

"I have been a commissioner for 21 years. This is the worst game I
have ever seen, period."

Artest's Indiana teammate Stephen Jackson was suspended for 30 games
and Pacers standout Jermaine O'Neal will miss 20 games after they
followed Artest into the stands.

Jackson and O'Neal landed solid punches on spectators, O'Neal knocking
one man to the court, while Artest punched another fan when confronted
on the court.

Detroit police are investigating, but as yet no charges have been
laid.

No one was seriously injured in the brawl, although at least one fan
was treated in hospital and an official suffered a cut on the head
after being hit by a bottle tossed from the stands.

Detroit's Ben Wallace received a six-game ban, while teammates
Chauncey Billups, Elden Campbell and Derrick Coleman will serve
one-game suspensions for leaving the bench during one of the worst
brawls in American sporting history.

Indiana's Anthony Johnson drew a five-game suspension and Reggie
Miller a one-game ban.

Stern left no doubt yesterday who was in charge.

Asked if the league's disciplinary committee was in unison on the
heavy suspensions, Stern replied: "It was unanimous - 1-0. I decided
it."

The suspensions are without pay and will cost Artest $7 million,
Jackson $2.3 million, O'Neal $5.75 million, Wallace $560,500 and
Johnson $165,800
--

NoOp Comment: WOW! You could buy a whole lot of vehicles and
automotive stuff with this coin! Now what needs to be done is

--
After Artest was shoved, he lay on the scorer's table where a
spectator hurled a drink that hit him in the head. Artest rose and ran

"The actions of the players involved wildly exceeded the
professionalism and self-control that should fairly be expected from
NBA players," Stern said. "The entire league is put on notice based on
this unprecedented fiasco." - AFP
----

Patrick
'93 Cobra
'83 LTD
Old November 22nd 04, 03:36 PM
Backyard Mechanic

> After Artest was shoved, he lay on the scorer's table where a
> spectator hurled a drink that hit him in the head. Artest rose and ran
> into the stands to confront another fan and bedlam ensued.

You mean after he was shoved because of his cheap shot on Wallace?

There's plenty of blame to go around here, I'm for prosecution of the fan, if
it can be done... but you have to look at Artest's overall record and
attitude.

WTH was he lying on the table?

Let's face it... he's an out of control self absorbed idiot!
Old November 23rd 04, 12:18 AM
Patrick

Backyard Mechanic > wrote in message >...

> > After Artest was shoved, he lay on the scorer's table where a
> > spectator hurled a drink that hit him in the head. Artest rose and ran
> > into the stands to confront another fan and bedlam ensued.

> You mean after he was shoved because of his cheap shot on Wallace?

> There's plenty of blame to go around here, I'm for prosecution of the fan,
> if it can be done... but you have to look at Artest's overall record and
> attitude.

> WTH was he lying on the table?

> Let's face it... he's an out of control self absorbed idiot!

I'm not defending the guy but he's received his punishment, and more
if he gets criminal charges. All I'm saying is let's just not excuse
the fans' ****ty behavior. A few were almost as bad as Artest.

Patrick
'93 Cobra
'83 LTD
Old November 23rd 04, 12:33 AM
Spike

And this is the example set for the youth of America, by both players
and adult fans. It's been getting worse as time passes. We now look
more like Brit soccer fans who have been barred in the past from
attending games in several European countries.

An example needs to be made of the players and against the fans.
And that goes equally well in auto racing. Time to get back to
teaching good sportsmanship, and deflate some egos.

On 22 Nov 2004 06:38:19 -0800, (Patrick) wrote:

>I'm sure everyone has seen the clips of this on the news.
>
>----
>INDIANA Pacers forward Ron Artest was yesterday banned for the rest of
>the NBA season, the longest non-drug suspension in league history.
>
>Artest will miss the final 72 games of the season for sparking a melee
>in which Pacers players traded punches with Detroit Pistons supporters
>in the stands and on the court during a game on Saturday.
>"What he (Artest) did was unforgivable," NBA commissioner David Stern
>said. "It was a horrible scene and it is up to us to see it is not
>repeated.
>
>"I have been a commissioner for 21 years. This is the worst game I
>have ever seen, period."
>
>Artest's Indiana teammate Stephen Jackson was suspended for 30 games
>and Pacers standout Jermaine O'Neal will miss 20 games after they
>followed Artest into the stands.
>
>Jackson and O'Neal landed solid punches on spectators, O'Neal knocking
>one man to the court, while Artest punched another fan when confronted
>on the court.
>
>Detroit police are investigating, but as yet no charges have been
>laid.
>
>No one was seriously injured in the brawl, although at least one fan
>was treated in hospital and an official suffered a cut on the head
>after being hit by a bottle tossed from the stands.
>
>Detroit's Ben Wallace received a six-game ban, while teammates
>Chauncey Billups, Elden Campbell and Derrick Coleman will serve
>one-game suspensions for leaving the bench during one of the worst
>brawls in American sporting history.
>
>Indiana's Anthony Johnson drew a five-game suspension and Reggie
>Miller a one-game ban.
>
>Stern left no doubt yesterday who was in charge.
>
>Asked if the league's disciplinary committee was in unison on the
>heavy suspensions, Stern replied: "It was unanimous - 1-0. I decided
>it."
>
>The suspensions are without pay and will cost Artest $7 million,
>Jackson $2.3 million, O'Neal $5.75 million, Wallace $560,500 and
>Johnson $165,800
>--
>
>NoOp Comment: WOW! You could buy a whole lot of vehicles and
>automotive stuff with this coin! Now what needs to be done is
>prosecute the HELL out of the moronic fans who provoked and got
>involved in this brawl!

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Old November 27th 04, 02:45 PM
SVTKate

I agree with you Spike, but the problem with teaching good sportsmanship at
this point, you would ahve to teach that there will be winners AND losers
all over again.

These days, the philosophy is that everyone is a winner when they are young.
Then when they grow up they don't realize that throwing a hissy fit will not
get them a trophy too like it did when they were kids.

--
Kate
98 Cobra Drop Top

Old November 27th 04, 08:07 PM
Spike

Soooo true...

Major sports have become "wrestling". A carnival where all the freaks
and clowns come out and put on a show. Even auto racing is getting bad
with the glove throwing and intentional running drivers off the track,
etc.

Gone are the days when a sports figure set a good example for kids
growing up. Gone are the days when they played because they loved the
game. Now it's all about money. No more free autographs, even from big
kids on bicycles, skates, or boards.

And gone are the days when you could afford to take your kids to a
sporting even on a regular basis.

I either need a time machine, or it's time for this dinosaur to go
extinct....

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 14:45:26 GMT, "SVTKate"

Old November 28th 04, 12:07 AM
Spike

Not excusing anyone. Bad sportmanship and bad manners kinda go
together. Our sports are getting to be like soccer in Europe.

Unfortunatrely, and I know this from law enforcement, it only takes a
couple of hecklers to get a crowd going toward being out of control.

I did see where at least one of the fans has been banned from that
arena for life. Doesn't matter whether its a game or a concert or
what. That's a start.

Old November 28th 04, 03:38 PM
Backyard Mechanic

Try MLS or A-League soccer, and Minor league baseball.

Ever hear of Landon Donovan? Freddy Adu? (Dunno if Freddy signs for free..
I wouldnt if I were him- carpal tunnel)

These are two guys that are known the world over and you can actually MEET
them..... I'm a Columbus Crew Season ticket holder and the players frequently
mix with the fans... and this is BIG stuff, but low-key... fans party on the
pitch after one game a season, most of the Crew players come out to talk and
mingle, and Donovan (visiting San Jose) did as well

Lamar Hunt (KC Chiefs, AFC founder)owns the team and along with Bob Kraft,
(Patriots, Revolution) the owners design the League PR to be fan-friendly.

But back to the subject,, let's not forget the obnoxious Little League,
Football, and Soccer parent!

Spike opined in :

Old November 28th 04, 11:34 PM
Spike

>But back to the subject,, let's not forget the obnoxious Little League,
>Football, and Soccer parent!

Unfortunately, that's where a lot of it begins. That and coaches who
couldn't be big names in their lives so they become tyrannical coaches
to kids.... To tell a kid to physically take an opponent out of the
game is bad form. They should probably run psyche evals on both
parents and coaches.

There are quite a number of big names who still mix with the fans and
sign autographs for free. Those are the heroes in my book. The ones
who are totally out for the money should be replaced by the hero
types. But it's not about the game anymore. It's about the money; from
management, to players.

Those people should get some PR going to turn things around, and then
maybe they's stop seeing all those empty seats. Concentrate more on
filling seats than how much CBS or ESPN is going to pay for broadcast
rights.
Old November 30th 04, 07:03 AM
winze

.....and gone are the days when the "good ole boys" raced for food and
the need for speed! now we have the likes of baby face Kurt Busch and
the pretty boy twins Jeff Gordon/Jimmy Johnson and stupid commercials
featuring Michael Waltrip,Dale Jr. razor blades and Ups trucks! I'll
take the days when they drove real cars and smoked cigarettes during
cautions and settled disagreements with fist on the backstretch!

Detroit in CJ Greg Jeep 2 January 7th 05 02:34 PM
Off topic CVT tranny question for Jim Warman or others... CRAngelo Ford Explorer 6 November 19th 04 02:49 PM
Detroit rear, or lockright F&B Greg 4x4 4 July 3rd 04 07:16 PM
F.S. 85 GM DANA 60, 1ton 4x4 AXLES, 4.56 gears, Detroit Locker. in NH,ME MilitaryTruckParts 4x4 8 March 20th 04 01:20 PM
Giving away old parts near Detroit Rrolllly Antique cars 1 September 22nd 03 02:51 AM