2004 M3 starting issues, longish

Old September 27th 04, 11:57 PM
Jim Levie

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:05:23 -0400, John E. Yurkon wrote:

> "Jim Levie" > wrote in message
> news
>> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 21:24:32 -0400, John E Yurkon wrote: Injectors
>> leaking down would certainly be a problem. but I can't see them being
>> influenced by "full throttle accelerations", like the OP said. His
>> problem description sounds more like plug fouling or carbon build up or
>> perhaps contamination of the hot wire in the MAF.

> I'm the OP. You have a point. I would think though that long drives at
> 75mph,
> 3,000rpm would clear the fouling and/or carbon. Another symptom that I
> didn't mention was that occasionally I smell gasoline outside the vehicle
> after
> it's parked for awhile. I haven't paid enough attention to see if it's
> correlated
> with the long cranking times.

It would, unless the engine is running rich. I can't see a leaking
injector causing a gas smell. The residual pressure in the feed rails
would bleed down pretty quickly and that gas is pretty much trapped inside
of the intake system. An external leak would result in a pronounced gas
smell. But, it should be easy enough to find out if there's a significant
amount of fuel in the intake after the car sits. Just take out the air
filter and sniff.

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.

Old October 9th 04, 05:54 AM
Rein

I don't think there is any pressure left in any car after 2 days.
Besides that, the fuel-pump priming that you talk about should be more
than enough to get it back up to pressure. Unless ofcourse, there's an
issue with the fuel pump.

Old October 9th 04, 05:59 AM
Rein

wrote:

>"Jim Levie" > wrote in message
>news
>> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 21:24:32 -0400, John E Yurkon wrote:
>> Injectors leaking down would certainly be a problem. but I can't see them
>> being influenced by "full throttle accelerations", like the OP said. His
>> problem description sounds more like plug fouling or carbon build up or
>> perhaps contamination of the hot wire in the MAF.

>I'm the OP. You have a point. I would think though that long drives at
>75mph,
>3,000rpm would clear the fouling and/or carbon. Another symptom that I
>didn't mention was that occasionally I smell gasoline outside the vehicle
>after
>it's parked for awhile. I haven't paid enough attention to see if it's
>correlated
>with the long cranking times.

If you smell gas I would have them check out the injectors. They could
be leaking outside of the engine. I've smelled this on other cars that
had more miles on them and the seals between the fuelrail and the
injector were dried out and it would leak fuel. This might be
happening with your car.