How are cracks in windshield handled these days?

Old May 3rd 14, 06:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.tech
MoPar Man

Default How are cracks in windshield handled these days?

A few months ago I was working on my car (2000 Chrysler 300m) and
lifting one of the front corners to do some suspension work. I didn't
hear anything, but at some point it must have been due to body torque or
twisting that caused a crack in the windshield, in the opposite side to
where I was lifting.

The crack starts about an inch or two up from the bottom of the
passenger-side corner, goes towards the center of the windshield for
about an inch or two and then curves back toward the edge and up for
about 6 inches. So the crack is on the edge of the area swept by the
passenger-side wiper blade. The crack probably starts at the edge of
the glass, but I can't tell because of the windshield trim.

Since it happened maybe 5 or 6 months ago, the crack might have grown by
an inch or two since then.

What is available from the world of windshield repair these days that is
typically applied to this sort of situation - if anything?
Old May 3rd 14, 06:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

MoPar Man wrote:
> A few months ago I was working on my car (2000 Chrysler 300m) and
> lifting one of the front corners to do some suspension work. I didn't
> hear anything, but at some point it must have been due to body torque or
> twisting that caused a crack in the windshield, in the opposite side to
> where I was lifting.
>
> The crack starts about an inch or two up from the bottom of the
> passenger-side corner, goes towards the center of the windshield for
> about an inch or two and then curves back toward the edge and up for
> about 6 inches. So the crack is on the edge of the area swept by the
> passenger-side wiper blade. The crack probably starts at the edge of
> the glass, but I can't tell because of the windshield trim.
>
> Since it happened maybe 5 or 6 months ago, the crack might have grown by
> an inch or two since then.
>
> What is available from the world of windshield repair these days that is
> typically applied to this sort of situation - if anything?

Cracks are different than chips. Some can be repaired but usually it
isn't worth the money. It sounds like yours has spread over the
recommended distance already (generally anything over 5" or so long is
not repairable).

Safelite says about 350 for new glass installed, Used glass runs about
100 bucks if you wanted to DIY.

--
Steve W.
Old May 3rd 14, 07:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.tech
Percival P. Cassidy[_2_]

On 05/03/14 01:45 pm, Steve W. wrote:
> MoPar Man wrote:
>> A few months ago I was working on my car (2000 Chrysler 300m) and
>> lifting one of the front corners to do some suspension work. I didn't
>> hear anything, but at some point it must have been due to body torque or
>> twisting that caused a crack in the windshield, in the opposite side to
>> where I was lifting.
>>
>> The crack starts about an inch or two up from the bottom of the
>> passenger-side corner, goes towards the center of the windshield for
>> about an inch or two and then curves back toward the edge and up for
>> about 6 inches. So the crack is on the edge of the area swept by the
>> passenger-side wiper blade. The crack probably starts at the edge of
>> the glass, but I can't tell because of the windshield trim.
>> Since it happened maybe 5 or 6 months ago, the crack might have grown by
>> an inch or two since then.
>>
>> What is available from the world of windshield repair these days that is
>> typically applied to this sort of situation - if anything?

> Cracks are different than chips. Some can be repaired but usually it
> isn't worth the money. It sounds like yours has spread over the
> recommended distance already (generally anything over 5" or so long is
> not repairable).
>
> Safelite says about 350 for newglass installed, Used glass runs about
> 100 bucks if you wanted to DIY.

Our car insurance covered our cracked windshield about 8 years ago.
Probably depends on the company.

Perce

Old May 4th 14, 07:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Sat, 03 May 2014 13:23:22 -0400, MoPar Man > wrote:

>A few months ago I was working on my car (2000 Chrysler 300m) and
>lifting one of the front corners to do some suspension work. I didn't
>hear anything, but at some point it must have been due to body torque or
>twisting that caused a crack in the windshield, in the opposite side to
>where I was lifting.
>
>The crack starts about an inch or two up from the bottom of the
>passenger-side corner, goes towards the center of the windshield for
>about an inch or two and then curves back toward the edge and up for
>about 6 inches. So the crack is on the edge of the area swept by the
>passenger-side wiper blade. The crack probably starts at the edge of
>the glass, but I can't tell because of the windshield trim.
>
>Since it happened maybe 5 or 6 months ago, the crack might have grown by
>an inch or two since then.
>
>What is available from the world of windshield repair these days that is
>typically applied to this sort of situation - if anything?

Sounds too long to do anything about. Its rare for my cars to go more
then a year or two before a rock causes a crack. If it's not
bothering my view I don't bother fixing it till there are enough rock
pits that it's worth the trouble, even though I have insurance. When
the pits start to create enough glare into the sun I get it replaced
and tell them the crack happened last week.
Old May 8th 14, 01:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.tech
MG

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message ...

On 05/03/14 01:45 pm, Steve W. wrote:
> MoPar Man wrote:
>> A few months ago I was working on my car (2000 Chrysler 300m) and
>> lifting one of the front corners to do some suspension work. I didn't
>> hear anything, but at some point it must have been due to body torque or
>> twisting that caused a crack in the windshield, in the opposite side to
>> where I was lifting.
>>
>> The crack starts about an inch or two up from the bottom of the
>> passenger-side corner, goes towards the center of the windshield for
>> about an inch or two and then curves back toward the edge and up for
>> about 6 inches. So the crack is on the edge of the area swept by the
>> passenger-side wiper blade. The crack probably starts at the edge of
>> the glass, but I can't tell because of the windshield trim.
>> Since it happened maybe 5 or 6 months ago, the crack might have grown by
>> an inch or two since then.
>>
>> What is available from the world of windshield repair these days that is
>> typically applied to this sort of situation - if anything?

> Cracks are different than chips. Some can be repaired but usually it
> isn't worth the money. It sounds like yours has spread over the
> recommended distance already (generally anything over 5" or so long is
> not repairable).
>
> Safelite says about 350 for newglass installed, Used glass runs about
> 100 bucks if you wanted to DIY.

Our car insurance covered our cracked windshield about 8 years ago.
Probably depends on the company.

Perce

Depends on the policy, not the company.

How would an experienced driver have handled this? Jo[_2_] Driving 142 July 23rd 10 02:55 PM
Cracks in alloys Edward[_1_] BMW 3 May 30th 08 10:35 PM
Cracks in soft top Barry Mazda 2 November 14th 07 04:07 AM
glass cracks Craig Technology 3 June 15th 06 01:54 AM
Coverage for CR-V and Element Windshield Cracks Stephen Mackie Honda 2 January 26th 05 12:51 PM