67 - Long or Short Axle ?

Old August 18th 10, 08:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky[_3_]

Default 67 - Long or Short Axle ?

Hi everyone.

I'm just sorting through all my stuff. I have most of the back end of a
67 bug. I was wondering if the axle tubes/shafts are early / late - or
one year only ?

thanks

Rich
Old August 19th 10, 09:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
AshMan40

On Aug 19, 4:57*am, tricky > wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> I'm just sorting through all my stuff. I have most of the back end of a
> 67 bug. *I was wondering if the axle tubes/shafts are early / late - or
> one year only ? *

'67 Beetles had a one-year-only rear axle & housing. It was a longer
axle shaft, but still used the narrow brake drum found before '68...
so the splined section of the shaft is short. In '68 the splined area
was longer to handle wider drums.
The cast iron ends of the housings should have an "A" cast into them.

Old August 19th 10, 05:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky[_3_]

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 01:18:36 -0700, AshMan40 wrote:

> On Aug 19, 4:57Â*am, tricky > wrote:
>> Hi everyone.
>>
>> I'm just sorting through all my stuff. I have most of the back end of a
>> 67 bug. Â*I was wondering if the axle tubes/shafts are early / late - or
>> one year only ?

> '67 Beetles had a one-year-only rear axle & housing. It was a longer
> axle shaft, but still used the narrow brake drum found before '68... so
> the splined section of the shaft is short. In '68 the splined area was
> longer to handle wider drums.
> The cast iron ends of the housings should have an "A" cast into them.

Thanks AshMan

so is any of it any good for a straight axle conversion for a split
screen van ?

Rich