DAWN, clean to a fault.

Old December 15th 06, 05:16 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

Default DAWN, clean to a fault.

Since I may have been guilty of starting this silly subject by stating that I
use Dawn to wash my car here is some of what is said about Dawn soap on
http://www.dawn-dish.com/

Don't put the Dawn away after the dishes are done. Dawn is great for all sorts
of other chores. Try it diluted in water to clean appliance exteriors,
chandeliers and light fixtures, painted woodwork, and more. -- -- Note:
Painted, as in what is used to coat sheet metal and plastic automotive parts. In
this case they recommend it for some of the toughest, appliances, and weaker,
woodwork. Automotive paint falls in between those finishes.

Dawn Complete is a breakthrough dish liquid that delivers excellent tough-food
cleaning technology while improving the look and feel of your hands with a
formula that contains vitamin E- and B5-enhanced microgels. Who ever thought
doing the dishes might lead to more beautiful hands? -- -- Might be gentle
enough to wash your Ford.

Make Dawn Dishwashing Liquid/Antibacterial Hand Soap part of your routine
handwashing. It's great every day and is always ready for those greasy
challenges. Tough on grease—and bacteria on hands! -- -- Should be safe enough
to kiss your car goodnight.

Dawn is the product of choice for major rehabilitation organizations to clean
oil off birds injured in oil spills. -- -- Come to think of it I haven't seen
any ducks that shine like they have any wax on them. Must be gentle or the duck
would squawk about it to the news media.

Ingredient information (other than what's on the label) is confidential. You may
want to visit the Soap & Detergent Association's website at
http://www.sdahq.org. They provide a list of general ingredients commonly used
in hand dishwashing products. Once you arrive at their site, choose Dishwashing,
Fact Sheet Notebook, then Hand Dishwashing Products. Scroll down the page a bit
and you will find the ingredient list.

Does Procter & Gamble recommend that it be used as a car wash soap, no, can it
be used to wash a car, yes. Why would they if it cut into the car wash soap
industry they are connected with? Surfactants are the main active ingredients in
dish washing soap along with oil, sometime vegetable oil, and both are used in
liquid car wash soap.

As a side note even though Dawn also contains alcohol you should not drink it,
just a thought, Windex has a higher quantity but still not drinkable. What I'm
saying is the kind of ingredients makes the product, how much dictates its use.

© 2006 Procter & Gamble. All Rights Reserved.
Dawn® is a registered trademark of Procter & Gamble.
All copy and claims valid in the U.S.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old December 15th 06, 11:36 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
TCW

"Dad" > wrote in message
.. .
> Ingredient information (other than what's on the label) is confidential.
> You may want to visit the Soap & Detergent Association's website at
> http://www.sdahq.org. They provide a list of general ingredients commonly
> used in hand dishwashing products. Once you arrive at their site, choose
> Dishwashing, Fact Sheet Notebook, then Hand Dishwashing Products. Scroll
> down the page a bit and you will find the ingredient list.

For arguments sake here's what Sal Zaino says in his instructions for
preping a car for his excellent polish.

"I would definitely recommend you remove the wax buildup on your paint. Just
use Liquid Dawn (hand dishwashing liquid) as a car wash. It has a high
alkaline content which cuts right thru carnauba wax, paraffin, silicone
oils, etc. This will get your paint finish squeeky clean and wax free."

Tom

Old December 16th 06, 12:09 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"TCW" > wrote in message ...

> "Dad" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> Ingredient information (other than what's on the label) is confidential. You
>> may want to visit the Soap & Detergent Association's website at
>> http://www.sdahq.org. They provide a list of general ingredients commonly
>> used in hand dishwashing products. Once you arrive at their site, choose
>> Dishwashing, Fact Sheet Notebook, then Hand Dishwashing Products. Scroll down
>> the page a bit and you will find the ingredient list.

> For arguments sake here's what Sal Zaino says in his instructions for preping
> a car for his excellent polish.
>
> "I would definitely recommend you remove the wax buildup on your paint. Just
> use Liquid Dawn (hand dishwashing liquid) as a car wash. It has a high
> alkaline content which cuts right thru carnauba wax, paraffin, silicone oils,
> etc. This will get your paint finish squeeky clean and wax free."
>
> Tom

Does that mean that it won't harm the finish?? Who would have ever guessed that,
and that added alcohol does make it squeaky clean. Used to use Zaino that people
gave me at the shop but it is little better than just doing a good polish and
wax. WAY over priced and just poured their cleaners into the gallon can I get
cleaners in, same results. Thanks for the reminder.

Old December 16th 06, 12:32 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Andy

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 18:36:58 -0500, "TCW" > wrote:

>"Dad" > wrote in message
. ..
>> Ingredient information (other than what's on the label) is confidential.
>> You may want to visit the Soap & Detergent Association's website at
>> http://www.sdahq.org. They provide a list of general ingredients commonly
>> used in hand dishwashing products. Once you arrive at their site, choose
>> Dishwashing, Fact Sheet Notebook, then Hand Dishwashing Products. Scroll
>> down the page a bit and you will find the ingredient list.

>For arguments sake here's what Sal Zaino says in his instructions for
>preping a car for his excellent polish.
>
>"I would definitely recommend you remove the wax buildup on your paint. Just
>use Liquid Dawn (hand dishwashing liquid) as a car wash. It has a high
>alkaline content which cuts right thru carnauba wax, paraffin, silicone
>oils, etc. This will get your paint finish squeeky clean and wax free."

Dawn removes wax, my point exactly!
Old December 16th 06, 12:52 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Andy" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 18:36:58 -0500, "TCW" > wrote:
>
>>For arguments sake here's what Sal Zaino says in his instructions for
>>preping a car for his excellent polish.
>>
>>"I would definitely recommend you remove the wax buildup on your paint. Just
>>use Liquid Dawn (hand dishwashing liquid) as a car wash. It has a high
>>alkaline content which cuts right thru carnauba wax, paraffin, silicone
>>oils, etc. This will get your paint finish squeeky clean and wax free."

> Dawn removes wax, my point exactly!

Actually here's what you said - - "Its not an old wifes tale. You shouldn't use
a chamois either, you should use terry cloth or microfiber towels to dry a car.
Yes it takes of everything then leaves a residue. You clearly don't have an
understanding of how dish soap works on automotive finsishes, but you
won't change because your too cheap."

What I'm trying to figure out is how "it takes of(f) everything and leaves a
residue". How do you take off everything and leave something on the surface??

Is that what it does on your Corvette?

Old December 16th 06, 02:04 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Andy

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 19:52:49 -0500, "Dad" > wrote:

>What I'm trying to figure out is how "it takes of(f) everything and leaves a
>residue". How do you take off everything and leave something on the surface??

I would have thought it would be clear. It would leave a residue
AFTER it takes off whats on it. So if you still don't understand that
concept I don't know what else there is.

I said that it MAY leave a residue.

The only thing I am refering to is WAX. Dawn takes off WAX. Thats
the only thing. If your goal is to take off the wax for whatever
reason, then it doesn't matter if you use Dawn.

Does it do that on my Corvette, well I wouldn't use Dawn to start
with. I have seen it (Dawn) strip off wax on other cars.

If you are talking about Dawn damaging the Paint / Clearcoat then
thats different. I don't think Dawn would damage Paint or Clearcoat.

This is going to be my last comment on this topic, it's time to move
on.
Old December 16th 06, 02:34 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Andy" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 19:52:49 -0500, "Dad" > wrote:
>
>>What I'm trying to figure out is how "it takes of(f) everything and leaves a
>>residue". How do you take off everything and leave something on the surface??

> I would have thought it would be clear. It would leave a residue
> AFTER it takes off whats on it. So if you still don't understand that
> concept I don't know what else there is.
>
> I said that it MAY leave a residue.
>
> The only thing I am refering to is WAX. Dawn takes off WAX. Thats
> the only thing. If your goal is to take off the wax for whatever
> reason, then it doesn't matter if you use Dawn.
>
> Does it do that on my Corvette, well I wouldn't use Dawn to start
> with. I have seen it (Dawn) strip off wax on other cars.
>
> If you are talking about Dawn damaging the Paint / Clearcoat then
> thats different. I don't think Dawn would damage Paint or Clearcoat.
>
> This is going to be my last comment on this topic, it's time to move
> on.

You're so easy, but do enjoy your Corvette. ;-))

Old December 16th 06, 06:34 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Dawn is strong stuff. If you wash your Vette with Dawn I would rinse
car afterwards to remove the Dawn. Wash the dishes a few times using
Dawn . It would leave your hands extremely dry. Thats why you see women
use gloves while washing dishes.

Old December 16th 06, 09:33 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Stephen[_3_]

On 15-Dec-2006, "TCW" > wrote:

> "I would definitely recommend you remove the wax buildup on your paint.
> Just
> use Liquid Dawn (hand dishwashing liquid) as a car wash. It has a high
> alkaline content which cuts right thru carnauba wax, paraffin, silicone
> oils, etc. This will get your paint finish squeeky clean and wax free."

Then they go on to say "Do not make a habit of washing your car with Dawn! "
http://www.lazaino.com/ApplyZaino.htm

--
All the best,

Stephen
Old December 16th 06, 10:33 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Preston

Dad wrote:

> Ingredient information (other than what's on the label) is
> confidential. You may want to visit the Soap & Detergent
> Association's website at http://www.sdahq.org. They provide a list of
> general ingredients commonly used in hand dishwashing products.

We don't get Dawn on this side of the pond afaik, but I wouldn't use it
if we did simply because of the (probable) salt content. Get some of
that trapped in a crevice somewhere & it'll kick-off the rusting
process in no time, & make aluminium go furry.

It may not be an issue if you always rinse with a few hundred gallons
of water to make absolutely certain it's all out, but that kind of
defeats the object of using something ecologically friendly in the
first place.

<Corvette Content>

After much fiddling with wires & spraying of WD40, I now have a
(nearly) full set of electrics & an engine that turns over. I'll syphon
out the very old & smelly fuel this weekend, put some fresh in, & see
if it'll start. I'm anticipating much backfiring...

</CC>

--
Preston.