DFP emits rattling noise

Old September 17th 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ronald Stoehr

Default DFP emits rattling noise

Uwe Schürkamp wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> since yesterday my Momo DFP makes a rattling noise like a loose gear
> inside when I turn the wheel right. It still appears to work (FF and
> all) and "whirrs" the normal way when I turn it left quickly, but it
> rattles when I turn the wheel the other direction, both during slow and
> quick rotation.
>
> Has anyone seen / heard this before from a DFP, and is there something
> that can be done about it?

Wow, my Momo wheel (the red one) started to do that about a week ago...

I already decided to upgrade to the G25, but if there are any hints at
fixing that rattle, I could kick out the cheap Thrustmaster wheel I bought
as a "stand in" until the G25 is available.

l8er
ronny
Old September 17th 06, 06:57 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ronald Stoehr

Uwe Schürkamp wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 05:05:41 +0200, Ronald Stoehr wrote:
>
>>Wow, my Momo wheel (the red one) started to do that about a week ago...
>>
>>I already decided to upgrade to the G25, but if there are any hints at
>>fixing that rattle, I could kick out the cheap Thrustmaster wheel I bought
>>as a "stand in" until the G25 is available.
>>

> Please report back on the quality and feel of the G25. What turns me off
> a bit is the lack of buttons on the wheel, I actually like the
> playstation like layout on the dfp which is great for chat, pitstops,
> brake balance and the like. I'm a bit anxious about opening up the dfp
> (did it all the time with my old TSW), as I don't know if something can
> be done about the noise (and for now, the wheel still works).

Well, I worried about the lack of wheel buttons, too. OTOH, in a turn
the wheel buttons are not easy to push, so getting one hand on the
shift console should be okay. And with speed limiter and pit stop request
on the wheel, I think I could get used to that. I will report, if I get
the wheel.

If I feel adventurous (sp?), I'll open my red Momo just to take a look.
But I guess, some special plastic part is broken. Replacements, prob. not.

l8er
ronny
Old September 18th 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ed White

"Ronald Stoehr" > wrote in message
> Uwe Schürkamp wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 05:05:41 +0200, Ronald Stoehr wrote:
>>
>>>Wow, my Momo wheel (the red one) started to do that about a week ago...
>>>

>>>I already decided to upgrade to the G25, but if there are any hints at
>>>fixing that rattle, I could kick out the cheap Thrustmaster wheel I
>>>bought
>>>as a "stand in" until the G25 is available.
>>>

>> Please report back on the quality and feel of the G25. What turns me off
>> a bit is the lack of buttons on the wheel, I actually like the
>> playstation like layout on the dfp which is great for chat, pitstops,
>> brake balance and the like. I'm a bit anxious about opening up the dfp
>> (did it all the time with my old TSW), as I don't know if something can
>> be done about the noise (and for now, the wheel still works).

> Well, I worried about the lack of wheel buttons, too. OTOH, in a turn
> the wheel buttons are not easy to push, so getting one hand on the
> shift console should be okay. And with speed limiter and pit stop request
> on the wheel, I think I could get used to that. I will report, if I get
> the wheel.
>
> If I feel adventurous (sp?), I'll open my red Momo just to take a look.
> But I guess, some special plastic part is broken. Replacements, prob. not.
>
> l8er
> ronny

Guys,
The MOMO wheels are not hard to disassemble, normal tools will do it, and in
the case of my red MOMO, there was a known issue of one of the motor
retaining screws backing off, leaving the wheel a bit growly and loose in
the center....I took mine apart, and sure enough, one of the motor screws
was loose. May not be your exact problem, but it sure helped mine.
Good Luck,
Ed

Old September 18th 06, 01:26 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

Uwe,

The G25 has all that, and more, it's just located on the shifter module
instead.

Since I always have a hand of the shifter it works ok for me.

-Larry

"Uwe Schürkamp" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 05:05:41 +0200, Ronald Stoehr wrote:
>>
>> Wow, my Momo wheel (the red one) started to do that about a week ago...
>>

>> I already decided to upgrade to the G25, but if there are any hints at
>> fixing that rattle, I could kick out the cheap Thrustmaster wheel I
>> bought
>> as a "stand in" until the G25 is available.
>>

> Please report back on the quality and feel of the G25. What turns me off
> a bit is the lack of buttons on the wheel, I actually like the
> playstation like layout on the dfp which is great for chat, pitstops,
> brake balance and the like. I'm a bit anxious about opening up the dfp
> (did it all the time with my old TSW), as I don't know if something can
> be done about the noise (and for now, the wheel still works).
>
> Cheers, uwe
>

> --
> GPG Fingerprint: 2E 13 20 22 9A 3F 63 7F 67 6F E9 B1 A8 36 A4 61

Caravan '89 3.0 Auto+OD, Loud rattling Noise from Engine [email protected] Dodge 4 July 10th 06 06:06 PM
Rattling noise i_got_em Honda 5 June 30th 05 09:58 AM
2000 Civic SE: Rattling noise while braking at low speeds S.K. Honda 4 April 13th 05 03:01 PM