Value of a '89 CRX SI?

Old November 25th 05, 12:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Value of a '89 CRX SI?

My wife owns a 1989 Honda CRX SI that is in fantastic shape. She is
the original owner, and the car has been garage kept since 1992, so
the interior, body, and paint are in very good condition, with only a
few parking lot dings. All maintenance has been done regularly
(including paint sealant every 6 months) by the dealer. She only
drives a few miles back and forth each day, so the car has only around
51,000 miles. She has begun to have problems with arthritis and is
having difficulty with the steering and using a clutch. Therefore she
is considering selling the car to purchase something with an automatic
transmission and power-assisted steering (perhaps the new Civic
Hybrid). We are aware that the CRX SI model has become something of a
classic, and considering the superb condition of this car for its age,
we know the usual sources of used car prices would not be accurate. We
wondered if folks out there have suggestions about what price to ask
in selling the car. It's black, with grey interior. Thanks in
advance for any input.
Old November 25th 05, 01:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"RAV" > wrote
> We are aware that the CRX SI model has become something of a
> classic, and considering the superb condition of this car for its age,
> we know the usual sources of used car prices would not be accurate.

Do you count www.edmunds.com among the "usual sources" for appraising used
cars? It seems about as precise a resource as may be had for your needs,
being organized by year, mileage, condition, color, etc., and geographic
location, among other things.

Old November 25th 05, 03:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Elle wrote:
> "RAV" > wrote
>> We are aware that the CRX SI model has become something of a
>> classic, and considering the superb condition of this car for its age,
>> we know the usual sources of used car prices would not be accurate.

> Do you count www.edmunds.com among the "usual sources" for appraising used
> cars? It seems about as precise a resource as may be had for your needs,
> being organized by year, mileage, condition, color, etc., and geographic
> location, among other things.

yup. id be interested, if it was in the los angeles region. ive always
loved those cars.
Old November 25th 05, 04:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

I would atleast pay $10,000 for this car.

Old November 25th 05, 12:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 19:52:46 -0800, SoCalMike
> wrote:

>Elle wrote:
>> "RAV" > wrote
>>> We are aware that the CRX SI model has become something of a
>>> classic, and considering the superb condition of this car for its age,
>>> we know the usual sources of used car prices would not be accurate.

>> Do you count www.edmunds.com among the "usual sources" for appraising used
>> cars? It seems about as precise a resource as may be had for your needs,
>> being organized by year, mileage, condition, color, etc., and geographic
>> location, among other things.
>>

>yup. id be interested, if it was in the los angeles region. ive always
>loved those cars.

Sorry, we're on the opposite coast. By the way, we have checked
Edmunds, and we don't think that represents the true value of the car.
That's why we're interested in the views of people here.
Old November 25th 05, 03:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"RAV" > wrote
> Sorry, we're on the opposite coast. By the way, we have checked
> Edmunds, and we don't think that represents the true value of the car.
> That's why we're interested in the views of people here.

I checked Edmunds yesterday, and I can say I personally would pay more than
the top price (the retail used car price, not more than $3k for my area)
that they said was the average for your car. I wouldn't pay $10k. Maybe 33%
more than what Edmunds states for the retail price. Otherwise, I'd think the
seller was seriously trying to gouge me. Fact is, I'd only be interested
because I know this vintage of Hondas pretty well at this point. That's
worth something to me. The typical used car buyer does not have this
knowledge and has only Edmunds to go by. That's leverage on the buyer's
side. S/he doesn't have to trust you about what a great car it is. You're
only one person, and the (biased) seller at that.

But set the price at a value that makes sense to you, with room for
haggling, and see if you get some interest. Maybe have documentation on why
this is such a great car.

Old November 25th 05, 04:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

RAV wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 19:52:46 -0800, SoCalMike
> > wrote:
>

>>Elle wrote:
>>
>>>"RAV" > wrote

>>>Do you count www.edmunds.com among the "usual sources" for appraising used
>>>cars? It seems about as precise a resource as may be had for your needs,
>>>being organized by year, mileage, condition, color, etc., and geographic
>>>location, among other things.
>>>

>>yup. id be interested, if it was in the los angeles region. ive always
>>loved those cars.

> Sorry, we're on the opposite coast. By the way, we have checked
> Edmunds, and we don't think that represents the true value of the car.
> That's why we're interested in the views of people here.

for a rust-free, uncrashed, clean title california car with all the
docs, i'd say $6k. maybe a little more on a good day. you'll have to
figure out how yours compares.

fyi, there's a guy that advertises on craigslist here in the bay area
several times a week for such a car. he offers less, but he's been
advertising for 2+ years, so i'd say he'd pay more for the right
vehicle. people will fly to collect. you have a good digicam, right?

Old November 25th 05, 05:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 15:51:16 GMT, "Elle" >
wrote:

>"RAV" > wrote
>> Sorry, we're on the opposite coast. By the way, we have checked
>> Edmunds, and we don't think that represents the true value of the car.
>> That's why we're interested in the views of people here.

>I checked Edmunds yesterday, and I can say I personally would pay more than
>the top price (the retail used car price, not more than $3k for my area)
>that they said was the average for your car. I wouldn't pay $10k. Maybe 33%
>more than what Edmunds states for the retail price. Otherwise, I'd think the
>seller was seriously trying to gouge me. Fact is, I'd only be interested
>because I know this vintage of Hondas pretty well at this point. That's
>worth something to me. The typical used car buyer does not have this
>knowledge and has only Edmunds to go by. That's leverage on the buyer's
>side. S/he doesn't have to trust you about what a great car it is. You're
>only one person, and the (biased) seller at that.
>
>But set the price at a value that makes sense to you, with room for
>haggling, and see if you get some interest. Maybe have documentation on why
>this is such a great car.

This might be a good car to sell on eBay.

However you sell it, be careful of funny transactions such as people
offering more than your asking price, people outside the countries,
etc. Iv'e heard there is a lot of fraud of this type going around.
You might want to research this point before you sell.
Old November 25th 05, 05:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

RAV wrote:
> Sorry, we're on the opposite coast. By the way, we have checked
> Edmunds, and we don't think that represents the true value of the car.

hm. id also check:

ebay
CRX club sites
would it be too new for something like hemmings?
google should give some ideas, too.
the "dealer resale" price on edmunds is higher and more accurate.

> That's why we're interested in the views of people here.

i know what you mean about that. my cars only "worth" (according to
edmunds) $4500 or so as a trade in, and the dealer resale price would be
something like $6000, supposedly.

in reality, i know dealers would ask $8000, and id could easily get
$6000 from a private party.
Old November 25th 05, 06:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Elle wrote:
> "RAV" > wrote
>> Sorry, we're on the opposite coast. By the way, we have checked
>> Edmunds, and we don't think that represents the true value of the car.
>> That's why we're interested in the views of people here.

> I checked Edmunds yesterday, and I can say I personally would pay more than
> the top price (the retail used car price, not more than $3k for my area)
> that they said was the average for your car. I wouldn't pay $10k. Maybe 33%
> more than what Edmunds states for the retail price. Otherwise, I'd think the

if its "all that and a bag o chips", id say $7990 would be a fair firm
asking price. a thourough detailing and visit by a paintless dent guy
would help.

who knows, though. might find someone who has fond memories of that
being their "first car/car they drove in high school, college, etc/lost
their virginity in/whatever"

theyd obviously pay more. after all, $12k will get you a nice shiny
hyundai, so i wouldnt expect more than that.

this is all assuming its had at least ONE timing belt/water pump, and
the tires are recent.

> seller was seriously trying to gouge me. Fact is, I'd only be interested
> because I know this vintage of Hondas pretty well at this point. That's
> worth something to me. The typical used car buyer does not have this
> knowledge and has only Edmunds to go by. That's leverage on the buyer's
> side. S/he doesn't have to trust you about what a great car it is. You're
> only one person, and the (biased) seller at that.
>
> But set the price at a value that makes sense to you, with room for
> haggling, and see if you get some interest. Maybe have documentation on why
> this is such a great car.

yup. theyre only going to get top dollar if they sell to an enthusiast.