wheel sizes on 318

Old May 5th 05, 10:31 PM
brownie0270

Default wheel sizes on 318

Hi folks, just bought an (R) reg 318i SE 1998 model and I was just
wondering how wide I can go with my tyres. A friend of mine is selling
some alloys off a 5 series with 235/40/ZR17 tyres, but will they fit
the 3 series without scuffing the tyres? any help will be much
appreciated Cheers!

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/BMW-wheel-...ict118820.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=576871

http://www.usenet.com
Old May 6th 05, 01:59 AM
Jeff Strickland

5 Series rims won't fit a 3 Series, the offset is different.

To answer your question, you can take a 17 x 7.5 and mount a 225/45x17 on
it. I am pretty sure the 235/40s will fit, but I have 225/45s on my car.

news:1_576871_0ae2a2500e0f796bb4eda71eb28b0c2a@aut oforumz.com...

Old May 6th 05, 10:43 AM
John Burns

> Hi folks, just bought an (R) reg 318i SE 1998 model and I was just
> wondering how wide I can go with my tyres. A friend of mine is selling
> some alloys off a 5 series with 235/40/ZR17 tyres, but will they fit
> the 3 series without scuffing the tyres? any help will be much
> appreciated Cheers!

The sensible size to fit would be 225, no sense going above that on a
318i.

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
Old May 7th 05, 01:10 AM
Dan Krueger

John Burns wrote:

>>Hi folks, just bought an (R) reg 318i SE 1998 model and I was just
>>wondering how wide I can go with my tyres. A friend of mine is selling
>>some alloys off a 5 series with 235/40/ZR17 tyres, but will they fit
>>the 3 series without scuffing the tyres? any help will be much
>>appreciated Cheers!

> The sensible size to fit would be 225, no sense going above that on a
> 318i.

Agreed. Those larger wheels and tires can hurt your performance if they
even fit. That is a lot more weight relative to that small engine. The
handling *might* improve but the ride will likely suffer. Are you going
for the "look" of the bigger wheel/tire combo or are your trying to
accomplish something else?
Old May 8th 05, 04:44 PM
brownie0270

"Jeff Strickland1" wrote:
> 5 Series rims won't fit a 3 Series, the offset is different.
>
> To answer your question, you can take a 17 x 7.5 and mount a
> 225/45x17 on
> it. I am pretty sure the 235/40s will fit, but I have 225/45s
> on my car.
>

> "brownie0270" > wrote in message
>
> news:1_576871_0ae2a2500e0f796bb4eda71eb28b0c2a@aut oforumz.com...
> > Hi folks, just bought an (R) reg 318i SE 1998 model and I

> was just
> > wondering how wide I can go with my tyres. A friend of mine

> is selling
> > some alloys off a 5 series with 235/40/ZR17 tyres, but will

> they fit
> > the 3 series without scuffing the tyres? any help will be

> much
> > appreciated Cheers!
> >
> > --
> > Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request

> standards
> > Topic URL:
> > http://www.autoforumz.com/BMW-wheel-...ict118820.html
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report

> abuse:
> > http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=576871
> >
> > Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
> > ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
> > http://www.usenet.com

Thanks Jeff, might just try that! a couple of the tyres that he has on
those rims are knackered anyway, so I might just go with the idea of
putting the 225/45/R17 on the rims and see how they look, will it
affect the handling much though, or will they be ok? Thanks again
Guys.

http://www.usenet.com
Old May 8th 05, 04:45 PM
brownie0270

"Dan Krueger" wrote:
> John Burns wrote:
>
>  >>Hi folks, just bought an (R) reg 318i SE 1998 model
> and I was just
>  >>wondering how wide I can go with my tyres. A friend of
> mine is selling
>  >>some alloys off a 5 series with 235/40/ZR17 tyres, but
> will they fit
>  >>the 3 series without scuffing the tyres? any help will
> be much
>  >>appreciated Cheers!
> >

> > The sensible size to fit would be 225, no sense going above

> that on a
> > 318i.
> >

> Agreed. Those larger wheels and tires can hurt your
> performance if they
> even fit. That is a lot more weight relative to that small
> engine. The
> handling *might* improve but the ride will likely suffer. Are
> you going
> for the "look" of the bigger wheel/tire combo or are your
> trying to
> accomplish something else?

I’m doing it for looks really Dan, plus hopefully better road
handling, that’s providing the rims go on in the first place and the
offset isn’t different. But I’ll take your advice and put some 225’s
on and see how they go Cheers!

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/BMW-wheel-...ict118820.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=578636
Old May 9th 05, 05:46 PM
Jeff Strickland

"brownie0270" > wrote in message
news:1_578634_ac94f5c9f5cc5d6bff4b496030be21eb@aut oforumz.com...
> "Jeff Strickland1" wrote:
> > 5 Series rims won't fit a 3 Series, the offset is different.
> >
> > To answer your question, you can take a 17 x 7.5 and mount a
> > 225/45x17 on
> > it. I am pretty sure the 235/40s will fit, but I have 225/45s
> > on my car.
> >

> > "brownie0270" > wrote in message
> >
> > news:1_576871_0ae2a2500e0f796bb4eda71eb28b0c2a@aut oforumz.com...
> > > Hi folks, just bought an (R) reg 318i SE 1998 model and I

> > was just
> > > wondering how wide I can go with my tyres. A friend of mine

> > is selling
> > > some alloys off a 5 series with 235/40/ZR17 tyres, but will

> > they fit
> > > the 3 series without scuffing the tyres? any help will be

> > much
> > > appreciated Cheers!
> > >
> > > --
> > > Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's

request
> > > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet

> > standards
> > > Topic URL:
> > > http://www.autoforumz.com/BMW-wheel-...ict118820.html
> > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report

> > abuse:
> > > http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=576871
> > >
> > > Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
> > > ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
> > > http://www.usenet.com

> Thanks Jeff, might just try that! a couple of the tyres that he has on
> those rims are knackered anyway, so I might just go with the idea of
> putting the 225/45/R17 on the rims and see how they look, will it
> affect the handling much though, or will they be ok? Thanks again
> Guys.

It doesn't it really matter how the tires will look on the rims, the rims
won't fit on the car ...

Old May 9th 05, 05:47 PM
Jeff Strickland

"brownie0270" > wrote in message
news:1_578636_35f0ec6633529e8cdbc1c94f9ae05700@aut oforumz.com...
> "Dan Krueger" wrote:
> > John Burns wrote:
> >
> >  >>Hi folks, just bought an (R) reg 318i SE 1998 model
> > and I was just
> >  >>wondering how wide I can go with my tyres. A friend of
> > mine is selling
> >  >>some alloys off a 5 series with 235/40/ZR17 tyres, but
> > will they fit
> >  >>the 3 series without scuffing the tyres? any help will
> > be much
> >  >>appreciated Cheers!
> > >

> > > The sensible size to fit would be 225, no sense going above

> > that on a
> > > 318i.
> > >

> > Agreed. Those larger wheels and tires can hurt your
> > performance if they
> > even fit. That is a lot more weight relative to that small
> > engine. The
> > handling *might* improve but the ride will likely suffer. Are
> > you going
> > for the "look" of the bigger wheel/tire combo or are your
> > trying to
> > accomplish something else?

> I'm doing it for looks really Dan, plus hopefully better road
> handling, that's providing the rims go on in the first place and the
> offset isn't different. But I'll take your advice and put some 225's
> on and see how they go Cheers!

5 Series rims will definitely NOT fit on a 3 Series.

Old May 9th 05, 11:13 PM
brownie0270

"spamcatcher" wrote:
> "brownie0270" > wrote in message
> news:1_578636_35f0ec6633529e8cdbc1c94f9ae05700@aut oforumz.com...
> > "Dan Krueger" wrote:

>  > > John Burns wrote:
>  > >
>  > >  >>Hi folks, just bought an (R) reg 318i
> SE 1998 model
>  > > and I was just
>  > >  >>wondering how wide I can go with my
> tyres. A friend of
>  > > mine is selling
>  > >  >>some alloys off a 5 series with
> 235/40/ZR17 tyres, but
>  > > will they fit
>  > >  >>the 3 series without scuffing the
> tyres? any help will
>  > > be much
>  > >  >>appreciated Cheers!
>   > > >
>   > > >
>   > > > The sensible size to fit would be 225, no
> sense going above
>  > > that on a
>   > > > 318i.
>   > > >
>  > > Agreed. Those larger wheels and tires can hurt
> your
>  > > performance if they
>  > > even fit. That is a lot more weight relative to
> that small
>  > > engine. The
>  > > handling *might* improve but the ride will likely
> suffer. Are
>  > > you going
>  > > for the "look" of the bigger wheel/tire combo or
> are your
>  > > trying to
>  > > accomplish something else?
> >
> > I'm doing it for looks really Dan, plus hopefully better

> road
> > handling, that's providing the rims go on in the first place

> and the
> > offset isn't different. But I'll take your advice and put

> some 225's
> > on and see how they go Cheers!
> >

> 5 Series rims will definitely NOT fit on a 3 Series.

Thanks Spamcatcher, luckily I haven’t bought the wheels yet so I’ll
tell him where to go, for trying to sell me the wrong rims. The 318
I’ve got has the standard 15" V-spoke alloys already on the car, so
have you any advice as to what are the best tyres to put on them? I’ve
always been a lover of big wide sporty tyres. Cheers.

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/BMW-wheel-...ict118820.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=579637

http://www.usenet.com
Old May 9th 05, 11:29 PM