Reality check

Old September 12th 04, 05:43 AM
04 C5 Black Coupe

CardsFan > wrote in message

> "Bob Buchanan" > wrote in message
> >I now have the time and enough cash to pursue a long held wish of owning,
> > driving, and working on a Corvette . but I need a reality check.
> >
> > The plan is to buy an over-the-hill Corvette and go to work on it.

Among
> > the things I would expect to do a repaint, rebuild the engine and
> > transmission, replace other parts, or even systems, seats, etc. I

expect
> > do almost all the work myself; with occasional help from friends.
> > Serious
> > body work does not fit the bill. I would not be trying to restore a

worn
> > car to 'show' quality; but good enough to have fun driving and look OK.
> >
> > 1) So if I found an '86 or '87 for, say, $5-7k; could I get away with
> > another $5-7k in parts (labor is free), or would I be looking at a whole
> > lot
> > more?
> >
> > 2) C4's with manual transmissions seem to be scarce. While I've always
> > assumed my Corvette should have one, how different is the driving
> > experience
> > vs. an automatic?

> This is personal opinion, but if you're thinking of this as a daily driver
> you might consider an automatic. If you're only going to drive it a few
> thousand miles a year, on weekends, well a Corvette just ought to have a
> manual transmission. YMMV.
>
> AJM
> '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp

I prefer the manual, even for a daily driver. The Corvette manual
transmission is so easy to use, that you can use it in bumper to bumper
easily, and the car doesn't overheat. A bit different than my prior Viper
in that regard.

Old September 12th 04, 08:21 AM
Marty

"Bob Buchanan" > wrote in message
>I now have the time and enough cash to pursue a long held wish of owning,
> driving, and working on a Corvette . but I need a reality check.
>
> The plan is to buy an over-the-hill Corvette and go to work on it. Among
> the things I would expect to do a repaint, rebuild the engine and
> transmission, replace other parts, or even systems, seats, etc. I expect
> do almost all the work myself; with occasional help from friends.
> Serious
> body work does not fit the bill. I would not be trying to restore a worn
> car to 'show' quality; but good enough to have fun driving and look OK.
>
> 1) So if I found an '86 or '87 for, say, $5-7k; could I get away with
> another $5-7k in parts (labor is free), or would I be looking at a whole
> lot
> more?
>
> 2) C4's with manual transmissions seem to be scarce. While I've always
> assumed my Corvette should have one, how different is the driving
> experience
> vs. an automatic?
>
> Bob

Bob,
Check out this web site for some pristine examples of C-4s & 5s and their
prices. Be sure to scroll to the bottom of the inventory and check out the
go cart.
I was there this afternoon.

www.corvettesunlimited.com

Old September 12th 04, 08:21 AM
Marty

Old September 12th 04, 01:18 PM
Bob Buchanan

Thanks for the input ... time to do sme more head scratching
Bob

"Tom in Missouri" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> My opinion is that unless you get a Corvette from 1973 through 1988 really
> cheap, you are better off paying a little extra and getting a nice one
> rather than a cheap one to work on.
>
> Examples,
>
> Ex. 1: $3000 '76 needing interior and paint vs $10,000 nice '76.
>
> In this case, you will spend $4000 for paint, $2000 for full interior
> (carpets, seat covers, dash pad, door panels, etc) and be at $9000.
> However, it will take 6 months and you could have driven the $10,000 from
> day one. Also, a $3000 Corvette will require more than what they say.

You
> can figure engine work, suspension work, etc.
>
> Ex. 2, $4000 '85 needing paint and interior.
>
> In this case, you can usually find a real nice '85 for under $10,000

easily.
> But the project '85 will require the same as the '76 above, but also the
> odds are the electric dash is messed up, the Bose is bad, and so on. You
> can easily have another $3000 or more in repairs to bring your investment

in
> the car to $13,000 or so, putting you $3000 and 6 months in the hole.
>
> Then you have to evaluate your experience with Corvettes and your

mechanical
> skills. Painting a Corvette is not like painting a metal car. You may
> spray an old Camaro or Chevelle for $500 but you won't spray a Corvette

for
> that much.
>
> If you find an '86 or '87 for $7000, it should be in decent shape. if you
> end up having to put another $7000 in it, then you have paid about $6500

too

Old September 12th 04, 01:18 PM
Bob Buchanan

Old September 12th 04, 02:02 PM
Scubabix

Bob, I couldn't agree more with Tom in Missouri. I bought a "good deal" 78
Coupe for $4500. I've already got a total of over $11000 and not even close
to complete. If you truly want the experience of working on the car, go for
it. If you think you want to save some money by buying a project and doing
it yourself, don't. I bought a beautiful 96 coupe for what I've already got
into my 78. I love the older car and will enjoy it when completed, but I
should have looked further for a better car in the first place.

Rob
78 & 96 coupes

Old September 12th 04, 02:02 PM
Scubabix

Old September 12th 04, 02:04 PM
Scubabix

> Bob,
> Check out this web site for some pristine examples of C-4s & 5s and their
> prices. Be sure to scroll to the bottom of the inventory and check out the
> go cart.
> I was there this afternoon.
>
> www.corvettesunlimited.com

Also check out Corvette and Chevy Traded magazine. The cars are usually
priced a little high, but it'll give you a good idea what's available.

Rob

Old September 12th 04, 02:04 PM
Scubabix

Old September 12th 04, 02:26 PM
Bob Buchanan

Rob

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

Trying to sort this out ... were you spending $ on others' labor, or doing
most yourself? I'm retiring in three weeks and will have loads of time;
although some things may take a lot more experience than I have to do right.
I'm not looking to create a show car, but also don't want one sitting in
the garage for years and never driving it.

Bob