How would you like to find this?

Old June 21st 07, 04:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Default How would you like to find this?

Posted to the Austin list. This is supposedly a barn/storage building in
Portugal that was locked up and welded shut for at least 15 years. Worth
looking at for some of the old cars if you like them.

This would take forever to sort out, but what a fun job!

http://www.intuh.net/barnfinds/afa70.htm

Pat
Old June 21st 07, 04:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

pws > wrote:

> Posted to the Austin list. This is supposedly a barn/storage
> building in Portugal that was locked up and welded shut for at
> least 15 years. Worth looking at for some of the old cars if you
> like them.
>
> This would take forever to sort out, but what a fun job!
>
> http://www.intuh.net/barnfinds/afa70.htm

Most of those were current when I was a kid and some bring back
memories.....

I'd love to be able to take a look in there in person!

Old June 22nd 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

XS11E wrote:

> Most of those were current when I was a kid and some bring back
> memories.....
>
> I'd love to be able to take a look in there in person!

The only one from my childhood is the Datsun Z, though it was a
brand-new 280ZX that I remember an elementary school teacher driving to
school.

The Z in the pictures is closer to what I had, and it is probably the
newest car in that building.

I also have to wonder if this has been floating around for years, but if
it has, it is one of the few things that has not been e-mailed to me at
least 5 times... :-)

Pat

Old June 22nd 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

pws > wrote:

> XS11E wrote:
>
>> Most of those were current when I was a kid and some bring back
>> memories.....
>>
>> I'd love to be able to take a look in there in person!

> The only one from my childhood is the Datsun Z, though it was a
> brand-new 280ZX that I remember an elementary school teacher
> driving to school.

Damn kids, I recall when the 240Z was introduced, heck, I remember when
Jaguar introduced the XK120 in 1949, the first Corvette in 1953 and the
first Thunderbird in 1955. I recall the stir when Austin Healey
brought out the 100-4 in 1953(?) and Triumph the TR-2, same year.

> I also have to wonder if this has been floating around for years,
> but if it has, it is one of the few things that has not been
> e-mailed to me at least 5 times... :-)

I got it some time back, it has been floating around for awhile.

Old June 22nd 07, 04:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

XS11E wrote:

> Damn kids, I recall when the 240Z was introduced, heck, I remember when
> Jaguar introduced the XK120 in 1949, the first Corvette in 1953 and the
> first Thunderbird in 1955. I recall the stir when Austin Healey
> brought out the 100-4 in 1953(?) and Triumph the TR-2, same year.

I fondly remember when such gems as the Beretta were introduced. I even
remember the introduction and exit of the Yugo.
My interest in cars started about 1979, so it was fairly bleak as far as
new introductions for a long time, until about the early 1990's.

Most of today's cars are giving me the same feeling as the ones of the
1980's.
Higher quality, but about as generic as they can be, and not good
looking in general, imho, with a few shining exceptions.

Pat
Old June 22nd 07, 12:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro

pws > wrote:
> This is supposedly a barn/storage building in
> Portugal that was locked up and welded shut for at least 15 years.
> http://www.intuh.net/barnfinds/afa70.htm

The license plates on the cars that have them are in fact Portuguese.

I had never heard of this and I don't recall any report on car newspapers
(but I don't read all, obviously). Curious.

I would like to know the history behind it. Probably a private collection
but why was it abandoned ?

> Worth looking at for some of the old cars if you like them.

I am not very interested in classics for myself, but some of the Lotus
would be tempting.

BTW, a similar story that I saw on TV once was in Cyprus. After the war
in 1974 a stand full of brand new Toyotas (?) was blocked by the border.
The owner could get there on foot, but was unable to remove the cars.

I was unable to find it on the web, but:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Line_%28Cyprus%29

http://www.time.com/time/europe/spec...p5/index2.html
"The biggest tourist attraction in Cyprus, apart from the beach, is
the green line, a disjointed barrier of oil drums, razor wire, rusted
cars and assorted junk that stretches from one side of Cyprus to the
other. Manned permanently by Turkish troops on one side, Greek Cypriot
troops on the other and U.N. peacekeepers in between, it is one of the
most impenetrable boundaries on earth. Signs erected by nationalists and
the Turkish military keep the memory of war alive. At the nearby Museum
of Barbarism, gruesome black-and-white photographs of mutilated children
and a bathtub marked with the 37-year-old blood and brain tissue of a
young family murdered by Greek insurgents memorialize Greek terror. "

Hah, I found a reference:

http://sipasa.typepad.com/switchboard/cyprus/index.html
"One Turkish Cypriot businessman imported 200 cars to Lefkosia a few days
before the Line was drawn. He parked them all in the basement of his
building. When he was forced to flee, the cars stayed. The Canadian
troops lived in this building, and would throw massive parties in
the basement. As a result, some of the cars are a bit smashed up. The
Canadians pulled out of the peacekeeping mission in 1993, and since
then some of the British troops have been restoring the cars for fun.
They are all classic Toyotas with just a few kilometers on the odometer."

--
http://www.mat.uc.pt/~rps/

..pt is Portugal| `Whom the gods love die young'-Menander (342-292 BC)
Europe | Villeneuve 50-82, Toivonen 56-86, Senna 60-94
Old June 22nd 07, 01:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Iva

Pat wrote:
> XS11E wrote:
>
>> Most of those were current when I was a kid and some bring back
>> memories..... I'd love to be able to take a look in there in
>> person!

> The only one from my childhood is the Datsun Z, though it was a
> brand-new 280ZX that I remember an elementary school teacher driving
> to school.
>
> The Z in the pictures is closer to what I had, and it is probably
> the newest car in that building.
>
> I also have to wonder if this has been floating around for years,
> but if it has, it is one of the few things that has not been
> e-mailed to me at least 5 times... :-)

I learned to drive on a Saab 93 - 1959 model with suicide doors, three
on the column and a two-cycle engine. We used to pay $3 to fill it
up - 8 gallons of gas and a quart of oil.

Iva & ?
2004 Classic Red
No more winkin' Miata

Old June 23rd 07, 02:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

> Damn kids, I recall when the 240Z was introduced, heck, I remember when
> Jaguar introduced the XK120 in 1949, the first Corvette in 1953 and the
> first Thunderbird in 1955. I recall the stir when Austin Healey
> brought out the 100-4 in 1953(?) and Triumph the TR-2, same year.

Well, at least I know there are some older codgers out here than me but, ya,
Pat comes close to registering as a 'punk kid' ;-)

I've got to go back and look those photos over again, that was awesome.
Thanks PWS!

Chris
99BBB

Old June 23rd 07, 02:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

> Iva & ?
> 2004 Classic Red
> No more winkin' Miata

You got it?!
Cool
The name will come to you!

Congrats
Chris
99BBB

Old June 23rd 07, 02:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

"Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro"

Cool stuff. Again, this is a great newsgroup!

Chris
99BBB

how to find used car in the U.S.A JWH Technology 4 July 21st 06 01:21 AM
GTR--How do I find my FPS Joseph Mendel Simulators 1 July 23rd 05 05:32 AM
Great place to find those hard to find parts E 4x4 0 April 18th 05 02:22 PM
Find It! [email protected] BMW 0 March 23rd 05 10:07 AM
AD: Find the items you cant find + more brett Antique cars 0 February 24th 04 01:17 PM