Battery and Alternator question

Old November 5th 04, 01:10 PM
Wurm

Default Battery and Alternator question

Hey all,

Driving in to work today, for the first time since I've owned my Saturn
(SL2, 98, bought used in 2001) my battery indicator light came on. Now, I've
heard and read in the past about the problems that Saturns have with
alternators, and if you get your alternator changed you should get the
battery changed at the same time, but my question is: is this true in
reverse?. Can I just head down to Canadian Tire and get a new batt and drop
it in myself?, or are there tests or verifications that I should do first to
find out if my alternator needs to be changed as well?

TIA!!!

Wurm

Old November 5th 04, 02:13 PM
Oppie

The 'battery indicator' is really a charging system indicator and comes on
when the ignition is on but the alternator is not putting out any juice. I'd
have a charging system diagnostic run first before replacing anything.

Old November 5th 04, 03:20 PM
Wurm

"Oppie" > wrote in message
> The 'battery indicator' is really a charging system indicator and comes on
> when the ignition is on but the alternator is not putting out any juice.

I'd
> have a charging system diagnostic run first before replacing anything.

Oh, thats news to me. While I was driving in, as soon as I noticed it I
turned off my lights and the indicator went away for a few moments before
coming back on. I then turned off my stereo system and once again the
indicator dissapeared for a few minutes only to eventually come back.

How worried should I be right now about this?, should I get this checked
immediately or should I be able to wait till early next week (got a week
off) to bring the car in?

Thanks again!

Wurm

Old November 5th 04, 07:01 PM
Jeff McDonald

You have about 80km to go, or 40 at night. I'd leave the radio and climate
controls off.

If you have a battery charger, you can limp along driving less than the
above distance and recharging it overnight.

Either way, get it in soon for a new alternator. It aint good for the
battery to drain that much repeatedly.

Old November 5th 04, 07:09 PM
Wurm

"Jeff McDonald" > wrote in message
> You have about 80km to go, or 40 at night. I'd leave the radio and

climate
> controls off.
>
> If you have a battery charger, you can limp along driving less than the
> above distance and recharging it overnight.
>
> Either way, get it in soon for a new alternator. It aint good for the
> battery to drain that much repeatedly.

well thats just frightening..... thanks for the heads up, ill bring it in
next chance I can

Old November 6th 04, 08:58 PM
BANDIT2941

>Oh, thats news to me. While I was driving in, as soon as I noticed it I
>turned off my lights and the indicator went away for a few moments before
>coming back on. I then turned off my stereo system and once again the
>indicator dissapeared for a few minutes only to eventually come back.
>
>How worried should I be right now about this?, should I get this checked
>immediately or should I be able to wait till early next week (got a week
>off) to bring the car in?

You should be VERY worried about making it anywhere. The fact that the light
came on, then went off when you turned the lights off, then turned on a few
minutes later, then back off when you turend the stereo off, then came back
on......that means the alternator isn't charging, you're running only on the
battery - and the battery is almost dead!

It will rapidly decline until the light comes on every time you hit the brake
pedal(current draw from brake lights). Shortly after the gauges will all go to
zero. Soon after that you won't be driving the car.
Old November 6th 04, 08:59 PM
BANDIT2941

>You have about 80km to go, or 40 at night. I'd leave the radio and climate
>controls off.

Thats provided he starts with a fully charged battery. By his indications, his
battery is already hurtin' and he's not going to make it far.
Old November 10th 04, 03:54 PM
Earl43P

You're on borrowed time. I'm surprised the car still starts in the
morning. Must be a REAL good battery.

I've put 3 sets of brushes in my original 92 alternator (still installed,
with 270,000 miles on it). Thy're carbon and wear down....then the
light!

Hardest thing is getting the alternator off the car.... Split the
alternator case, install new brushes (requires soldering unless I'm
confusing it with the Nippondenso I did for my buddy last month -CRS), PIN
the brushes with a straightened paper clip so they are fully recessed, slap
the case back together, pull the pins, reinstall alternator and you're good
for another 80-100k. Lots of auto parts stores carry the brushes, though
you may need to carry in the old ones to compare.

Or just buy a new alternator.....but that's no fun!

As far as your battery goes, have it tested. Good is good. No reason to
change both if the just alternator is bad. That kind of advise comes from
mechanics padding the bill for profit.

Old November 11th 04, 04:18 AM
BANDIT2941

>As far as your battery goes, have it tested. Good is good. No reason to
>change both if the just alternator is bad. That kind of advise comes from
>mechanics padding the bill for profit.

Here's some good advice. About the best advice I've heard around here for
batteries. Most say that "replace both" BS......