New Tires

Old August 20th 06, 06:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Sin City Boy

Default New Tires

I'm a new Miata owner and would like to put new tires on my 1994. Does
anyone have any recomendations for a good set of reliable tires? (brand
name, etc.)
Thanks;

KJ

Old August 20th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Dana Rohleder

I installed some Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S about 5000 miles ago and am quite
happy.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....peed_rating=ZR

--
Boreal
2001 LS 6 speed Silver/tan, Sport Suspension w/hard rear sway bar

oups.com...

Old August 20th 06, 08:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Sin City Boy wrote:
> I'm a new Miata owner and would like to put new tires on my 1994. Does
> anyone have any recomendations for a good set of reliable tires? (brand
> name, etc.)
> Thanks;
>
> KJ

Since no one tire is ideal for all conditions, it would help to know how
and under what conditions you will be normally using them.
A tire is an endless series of compromises, you just have to decide what
is most important to you.

Higher grip generally equals less tire life. I can get about 3 times as
many miles from a set of all-seasons as I do from my average
high-performance tires, but the grip difference is huge.

Designing more dry traction equals less wet traction, and vice-versa,
regardless of any manufacturer's, (or tire owner's), claims.
No matter what rubber compound is used, more of that rubber compound
contact means more dry grip.
A slick would be best, but tread is required to make the tire
displace more water to be safer in the rain, which means less rubber
contact, hence less dry grip.

Tread patterns have improved but no tire manufacturer has ever gotten
around these simple physics. More tread always equals less dry contact,
and less tread always equals more dry contact.

Stiffer sidewalls will make the car have a faster steering response and
will generally have a harsher ride than tires with more flexible sidewalls.

Where you drive is a big factor, especially if you live where there is
snow and ice and if you only have one set of wheels/tires. You don't
want to be caught in the snow with performance summer tires.
On the other hand, driving around Texas with Blizzacks would be pretty
silly as well.

As far as manufacturers, there are more brands that I would trust than I
can keep track of. Goodyear, Toyo, Yokohama, Pirelli, Bridgestone,
Falken, Hankook, Dunlop, & Kumho all come to mind.
Most of these companies make a tire that will suit your normal driving
conditions.

Once we know what features are most important to you, there are a lot of
people who can make particular recommendations based on road noise
levels, recommend against a particular bad tire or suggest one that
sounds like what you are looking for.
Probably other things as well.

Finally, what size are you looking for?
Tire choices, especially new models, are becoming more limited with
14's, even with 15's, but there are still some very good choices out there.

Pat

Old August 21st 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
tooloud

pws wrote:
> Sin City Boy wrote:
>> I'm a new Miata owner and would like to put new tires on my 1994.
>> Does anyone have any recomendations for a good set of reliable
>> tires? (brand name, etc.)
>> Thanks;
>>
>> KJ

> Since no one tire is ideal for all conditions, it would help to know
> how and under what conditions you will be normally using them.
> A tire is an endless series of compromises, you just have to decide
> what is most important to you.
>
> Higher grip generally equals less tire life. I can get about 3 times
> as many miles from a set of all-seasons as I do from my average
> high-performance tires, but the grip difference is huge.
>
> Designing more dry traction equals less wet traction, and vice-versa,
> regardless of any manufacturer's, (or tire owner's), claims.
> No matter what rubber compound is used, more of that rubber compound
> contact means more dry grip.
> A slick would be best, but tread is required to make the tire
> displace more water to be safer in the rain, which means less rubber
> contact, hence less dry grip.
>
> Tread patterns have improved but no tire manufacturer has ever gotten
> around these simple physics. More tread always equals less dry
> contact, and less tread always equals more dry contact.
>
> Stiffer sidewalls will make the car have a faster steering response
> and will generally have a harsher ride than tires with more flexible
> sidewalls.
> Where you drive is a big factor, especially if you live where there is
> snow and ice and if you only have one set of wheels/tires. You don't
> want to be caught in the snow with performance summer tires.
> On the other hand, driving around Texas with Blizzacks would be pretty
> silly as well.
>
> As far as manufacturers, there are more brands that I would trust
> than I can keep track of. Goodyear, Toyo, Yokohama, Pirelli,
> Bridgestone, Falken, Hankook, Dunlop, & Kumho all come to mind.
> Most of these companies make a tire that will suit your normal driving
> conditions.
>
> Once we know what features are most important to you, there are a lot
> of people who can make particular recommendations based on road noise
> levels, recommend against a particular bad tire or suggest one that
> sounds like what you are looking for.
> Probably other things as well.
>
> Finally, what size are you looking for?
> Tire choices, especially new models, are becoming more limited with
> 14's, even with 15's, but there are still some very good choices out
> there.

That's beautiful, Pat. This should be required reading for every person that
posts about new tires for their Miata.

--
tooloud
Remove nothing to reply

Old August 22nd 06, 06:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

tooloud wrote:

> That's beautiful, Pat. This should be required reading for every person that
> posts about new tires for their Miata.

Hey, I don't take kindly to compliments from SUV-driving turncoats. ;-)

Thanks!

Pat (really wishes he had that Nissan parked next to the miata)

Old August 23rd 06, 12:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Ken Lyons

pws" > wrote
> Hey, I don't take kindly to compliments from SUV-driving turncoats. ;-)
> Thanks!

I thought it was pretty good too, Pat. Beautiful isn't exactly the word I
would choose, but I only have a Subaru Forester as an OTM. SUV-driving
turncoats have to find beauty wherever they can.
--
Ken Lyons '97 Brilliant Black/'90 Classic Red
Inside the Beltway

Old August 23rd 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Ken Lyons wrote:

> I thought it was pretty good too, Pat. Beautiful isn't exactly the word I
> would choose, but I only have a Subaru Forester as an OTM. SUV-driving
> turncoats have to find beauty wherever they can.

I don't think that "beautiful" has ever been applied to me since I was
an infant, and even then they were just required to say that.

tooloud is obviously a traitor of the worst sort. He wants the miata to
be a coupe, he doesn't think it is the ultimate cargo or family carrying
vehicle, and he wants modern creature comforts. The very nerve.

I have the tar, now we just need some feathers.......

I need an OTM with A/C so bad that I am starting to have bad thoughts,
probably brought on by sunstroke.
Would the Mazda dealership really notice if I took a 2006 out and was a
week or two late bringing it back? ;-)

Pat
Old August 23rd 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Sign in the right places and they'll be happy for you to not bring it back
at all! If you'd quit using all your tar and sell more of it on e-bay, you
could be driving one of those new NC's ;-)

Chris
99BBB

Old August 23rd 06, 08:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> Sign in the right places and they'll be happy for you to not bring it back
> at all! If you'd quit using all your tar and sell more of it on e-bay, you
> could be driving one of those new NC's ;-)
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

You are an evil, evil man. I could probably do it, it would be close,
damn you.....

BTW, you can't sell tar on Ebay, you have to sell that stuff on the
street, not to be used on the street, just sold on the street.

Pat
Old August 24th 06, 05:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

plus it's considered a liquid (at some temps) so you can't ship it by air
anymore ;-)

Chris
99BBB