1995 Chevy S10 Fuel problem

Old June 26th 06, 02:44 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default 1995 Chevy S10 Fuel problem

I have a 1995 chevy s10. I ran out of gas on the freeway on my way home
from work. There is a gas pump on site where i work at, but i was
running low so i emptied out and then filled up a water bottle (it
wasnt dry so it may have had water in it) with gas and put it in my
tank. My car broke down literally 5 minutes after i put this gas in on
the freeway. One of my friends brought me gas, but when i tried to
start up my car after putting a substantial amount of gas in, it would
not start. I replaced the fuel filter so its brand new and is not
causing the problem. The problem now is, my car starts up, but the
engine bogs down so much if i try to go anywhere that my car is not
drivable. if i give it a little gas, it will go up to 3000 RPMs but
then it starts bogging down. If i floor the gas pedal, it bogs down to
the point that it will just shut off. The only thing i could think of
for this problem would be that there is water in my gas tank. Although
there would be a very little amount if there was any water in there.
Any ideas?

Old June 26th 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I have a 1995 chevy s10. I ran out of gas on the freeway on my way home
> from work. There is a gas pump on site where i work at, but i was
> running low so i emptied out and then filled up a water bottle (it
> wasnt dry so it may have had water in it) with gas and put it in my
> tank. My car broke down literally 5 minutes after i put this gas in on
> the freeway. One of my friends brought me gas, but when i tried to
> start up my car after putting a substantial amount of gas in, it would
> not start. I replaced the fuel filter so its brand new and is not
> causing the problem. The problem now is, my car starts up, but the
> engine bogs down so much if i try to go anywhere that my car is not
> drivable. if i give it a little gas, it will go up to 3000 RPMs but
> then it starts bogging down. If i floor the gas pedal, it bogs down to
> the point that it will just shut off. The only thing i could think of
> for this problem would be that there is water in my gas tank. Although
> there would be a very little amount if there was any water in there.
> Any ideas?

Did you replace the fuel filter after this problem started? You may have
gotten enough trash or water in you injectors to cause some of them to clog.
They may have to be cleaned out. The fuel pump itself may have been damaged
when you ran out of fuel. It relies on the fuel flowing through it for
lubrication and running dry can cause problems to the fuel pump. You would
probably need to start the diagnosis with a fuel pressure and flow test. I
doubt you have the proper equipment for this so you will most likely need to
bring it to a repair shop.
--
Kevin Mouton
Automotive Technology Instructor

258 head swap? Steve G Jeep 8 October 4th 05 04:34 PM
Failed Smog Check 1981 Trans AM TheSmogTech Technology 0 January 30th 05 04:16 PM
'99 Explorer Fuel pressure problem Tim South Ford Explorer 2 December 20th 04 05:49 PM
In-the-tank fuel pumps cause death and destruction Silver Surfer Chrysler 293 November 7th 04 03:41 PM