Better Glass Cleaner?

Old June 23rd 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Better Glass Cleaner?

TeGGeR® wrote:
> It's not. It's plasticizer evaporation from the vinyl dashboard.

What is that, some kind of pthalatate, quite likely? I'm surfing around
in some MSDS's for various phthalates. They are described oily liquids,
with poor solubility in water, which tends to explain why the film is
hard to clean.

See he
http://www.osha.gov/dts/sltc/methods...04/org104.html

A good collection of info on a few of these plasticizers, all on one
page, including information about what kinds of solvents those
substances are soluble in.

Old June 23rd 06, 02:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking

Jeff, have you tried dilute vinegar? I helped my Dad frame *many*
pictures growing up. New glass has some amazingly tough fog and dirt to
get off--vinegar worked like nothing else.

Steve

Old June 23rd 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking

You have to get the glass cleaner sold in auto parts store. It's made to get
the streaks off of the inside of automotive glass. I gave up on windex a
long time ago for use in cars. It takes awhile for the stuff in the vinyl
dash to stop collecting on the glass.

Tony

et...

Old June 23rd 06, 02:46 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking

> wrote in
. com:

> "TeGGeR®" > wrote in message
>
>> Regarding vinyl dashboards and cracking, my '91 Integra's dash
>> offgassed something awful when it was new. I was worried it would end
>> up cracked and flaked all over the place as the car aged, but here it
>> is, fifteen years old, almost no offgassing evident on the
>> windshield, and the plastic is still pliable with no cracking at all.
>> In fact I can't remember ever

> seeing
>> an Integra with a cracked dash. Guess they've learned a lot about
>> vinyls over the years.

> Yes, it has gotten much better...
> The company I used to work for had a branch which made boats out of
> polyethylene.

Funny you should mention PE.

Years ago PE was made stronger by making it thicker (which was expensive).
These days they make it stronger by improving the polymer chains and chain
bonds, thus keeping actual material to a minimum.

Linear LDPE is a chemical masterpiece, as far as I'm concerned.

--
TeGGeR®

Old June 23rd 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Kaz Kylheku" > wrote in
oups.com:

> TeGGeR® wrote:
>> It's not. It's plasticizer evaporation from the vinyl dashboard.

> What is that, some kind of pthalatate, quite likely?

They are phthalates, yes.

--
TeGGeR®

Old June 23rd 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

I thought a household ammonia solution was effective.

Buy a bottle, read the directions, act accordingly.

Old June 23rd 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking

"TeGGeR®" > wrote in
:

> "Kaz Kylheku" > wrote in
> oups.com:
>
>> TeGGeR® wrote:
>>> It's not. It's plasticizer evaporation from the vinyl dashboard.

>> What is that, some kind of pthalatate, quite likely?

> They are phthalates, yes.

And the only real problem with phthalates is that every time you say
"phthalate" you sound like Daffy Duck saying
"Duck Dodgers in the 25thhh and a half thhhhentury..."

--
TeGGeR®

Old June 23rd 06, 05:46 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 11:25:29 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
> wrote:

>Metal content: Less every year...
>

>I bought a year old Lincoln LS automobile last January and in the past
>couple of weeks, as we started getting some daytime temps in the 90s
>here in Red Sox Nation I've been noticing an annoying film on the inside
>of the windshield.

Try waiting for the windscreen to cool, then cleaning it first with
vinegar & water. After that, follow up with Windex and a high
absorbent rag of some type. I've found that paper towels are not
always the best for removing all residue. Could try Kleenex or such...

Old June 23rd 06, 06:39 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jeff Wisnia" > wrote in message
et...
> Metal content: Less every year...
>

> I bought a year old Lincoln LS automobile last January and in the past
> couple of weeks, as we started getting some daytime temps in the 90s here
> in Red Sox Nation I've been noticing an annoying film on the inside of the
> windshield.
>
> It's really a pain at night when facing oncoming lights or when driving
> into the sun.
>
> Whatever it is, it doesn't respond worth a damn to cleaning with Windex
> and paper towels, what's there just sort of smears around but doesn't come
> off completely, even with several scrubbings. And, by the next evening
> there seems to be another layer there.
>
> I'm assuming the film on the glass is some chemical (a plasticiser?) being
> boiled out of all the plastic inside the car, but what's the best way to
> remove it short of kicking out the windshield or maybe leaving the windows
> down all day, neither of which appeal to me.
>
> A neighbor mentioned some kind of small pillow-like "dry cleaning" pad for
> glass sold by Eddie Bauer, but I couldn't spot it on their web site.
>
> Thanks guys,
>
> Jeff
> --
> Jeffry Wisnia
> (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
> "Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."

I find that newspaper does quite well when used with Windex for cleaning
glass, doesn't leave any fuzz behind and doesn't leave any smears either.

Shawn

Old June 23rd 06, 12:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 23:46:48 -0500, Raymond J. Henry
> wrote:

SNIP

>I've found that paper towels are not
>always the best for removing all residue. Could try Kleenex or such...

Be sure to try the "Kleenex" on something else first. Many brands are
treated with oils or lotions, and just leave a bad smear.