2 stroke oil in a 4 stroke motor ??

Old June 21st 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech

Default 2 stroke oil in a 4 stroke motor ??

Hi

My neighbour, an old lady, have a Honda 4 strokes motor lawn mower. Wen I
was talking about her lawn with her she show me the motor oil she used for
few months in her lawn mower.

She use a 2 strokes motor oil !!

What a 2 strokes oil can do in a in a 4 strokes motor ?

And can it did clog the oil pump or the oil line going to the motor
cylinder ??

I ask that because after looking in the spakplug hole with a light and I
think the motor have overheat and it was seem to have leave no oil on the
cylinder surface wen I crank it, I was think that maby the oil pump or the
oil line going to the motor cylinder are glog.

I've take out all the 2 strokes oil from the oil tank, but how can I
totally clean out that 2 strokes oil from the pump and oil line in the
motor, any chemical product or else that I can use without taking apart
the motor ? (I would unplug the spakplug and put the chemical in the oil
tank and crank the motor some times)

Thank

Gaetan
Old June 21st 06, 04:30 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech

You are mixing up engines and how they work.

The 4 stroke has an oil sump in the bottom you fill up with oil. This
oil gets splashed around to lubricate things. There is no 'oil tank' or
pump.

The cylinder just sees straight gasoline like a car engine.

I would just fill the sump back up with the correct oil and see what
happens. The 2 stroke oil in the bottom shouldn't have hurt much, but
it could have...

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old June 21st 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message

> I would just fill the sump back up with the correct oil and see what
> happens. The 2 stroke oil in the bottom shouldn't have hurt much, but
> it could have...
>
> Mike

I agree with Mike, Gaston...Just drain out the old oil and replace it with
the
recommended 4 stroke oil. Don't overfill.

If any permanent damage is done, there is nothing you can do now...Correct
the fluids and see what happens.

Old June 21st 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Hi, Do you mean she was putting the oil in the crankcase or was she mixing
it with the fuel? If she put it in the fuel for a time it probably did
nothing. The Honda lawnmower engine does not have an oil pump, it merely
splases the oil around in the crankcase. I would just drain the crankcase
and fill with new engine oil and hope for the best, I dought any harm has
come to this engine. Scott

Old June 21st 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"zonie" (sjemoomaw@nospam) writes:
> Hi, Do you mean she was putting the oil in the crankcase or was she mixing
> it with the fuel? If she put it in the fuel for a time it probably did
> nothing. The Honda lawnmower engine does not have an oil pump, it merely
> splases the oil around in the crankcase. I would just drain the crankcase
> and fill with new engine oil and hope for the best, I dought any harm has
> come to this engine. Scott

Hi

She was put the oil in the crankshaft.

Wen I did empty the 2 stroke oil I did see that there was not very much
oil in the tank, she told me that the guy at a Wallmart told her to put
just the minimum of oil because too much oil can broke the motor ! ! ??

But I presume that with a splash lubrication you can fill the oil thank
near to the maximum without any problem ?

Thank

Gaetan
Old June 21st 06, 06:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

My Honda mower has a dipstick. I just fill to full mark on dipstick.
Scott

Old June 21st 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech

Mike Romain > wrote in
:

> You are mixing up engines and how they work.
>
> The 4 stroke has an oil sump in the bottom you fill up with oil. This
> oil gets splashed around to lubricate things. There is no 'oil tank'
> or pump.

I'm just looking through the manual for my mower, a 20" Craftsman with
a 4hp Tecumseh 4-stroke. In the parts list and exploded diagram for
the engine is...an oil pump.

It appears lube on this particular engine is both splash and
low-pressure pump, like some '30s car engines. It's a flathead
and even has a road-draft tube.

--
TeGGeR®

Old June 21st 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"zonie" <sjemoomaw@nospam> wrote in
lkaboutautos.com:

> My Honda mower has a dipstick. I just fill to full mark on dipstick.
> Scott

Some cheap Tecumsehs have no dipstick. You have to remove a plug and make
sure the level is up to the threads.

--
TeGGeR®

Old June 21st 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Gaetan Mailloux" > wrote in message

> Hi
>
> She was put the oil in the crankshaft.
>
> Wen I did empty the 2 stroke oil I did see that there was not very much
> oil in the tank, she told me that the guy at a Wallmart told her to put
> just the minimum of oil because too much oil can broke the motor ! ! ??
>
> But I presume that with a splash lubrication you can fill the oil thank
> near to the maximum without any problem ?

Okay, Gaetan...Two cycle oil is still used as a lubricant, but it has to
have
special properties because it is added in the gasoline. It enters the
crankcase of a
two cycle engine in a mist with gasoline, and gives adequate lubrication.

While it wasn't designed to be used solely in splash lubrication systems of
four
stroke cycle engines, there is no reason it STILL wouldn't give good
lubrication
as far as I know.

Four cycle engines have the undiluted oil added to the crankcase, not the
crankshaft.
A certain level must be maintained so that adequate splash lubrication can
take place.

So it is absolute BULL**** to underfill an engine of this type. You fill
to the level
that the manufacturer has mandated, and with the type of oil that the
manufacturer
recommends.

On some engines there is a dipstick. If you get too much oil in the
crankcase, remove
a little but USE the dipstick.

On others, there may be a screw plug near the base of the engine that you
remove. When
you remove that plug, you can see inside the crankcase and you fill the oil
to the level of the
plug.

Old June 21st 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech

TeGGeR® wrote:
> Mike Romain > wrote in
> :
>
> > You are mixing up engines and how they work.
> >
> > The 4 stroke has an oil sump in the bottom you fill up with oil. This
> > oil gets splashed around to lubricate things. There is no 'oil tank'
> > or pump.

> I'm just looking through the manual for my mower, a 20" Craftsman with
> a 4hp Tecumseh 4-stroke. In the parts list and exploded diagram for
> the engine is...an oil pump.
>
> It appears lube on this particular engine is both splash and
> low-pressure pump, like some '30s car engines. It's a flathead
> and even has a road-draft tube.
>

> --
> TeGGeR®

Yeah, some do (have a pump) and some don't.
A lot more don't than do.

My rider has a pump and a filter, though a push-mower with a pump is a
new one on me.

Dave