performance tweaks

Old May 12th 06, 09:12 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Default performance tweaks

Are there any cheap and cheerful upgrades to eek a bit more performance out
of a 2.0 TS 156?
Do sport air filters make much of a difference?

I notice having it chipped only adds 15bhp.
I'm not a speed freak but its a while since i've had any sort of performance
and i'm getting a taste for it?

Rick

Old May 12th 06, 09:57 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

R D S > wrote:

> Are there any cheap and cheerful upgrades to eek a bit more performance out
> of a 2.0 TS 156?
> Do sport air filters make much of a difference?

No, they make the car louder, but that's it.

> I notice having it chipped only adds 15bhp.

*snort*

Divide by 10 and you'll be closer to the mark.

> I'm not a speed freak but its a while since i've had any sort of performance
> and i'm getting a taste for it?

Not worth it - they're a relatively highly strung engine anyway,
performance gains are expensive and marginal.

If you wanted more performance you should have bought a V6 - the price
difference would have been less than the cost of getting 20bhp out of
the TSpark.
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark - Fiat Marea 20v HLX - COSOC KOTL
Old May 12th 06, 10:23 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

"SteveH" > wrote in message
. ..
>R D S > wrote:
>
>> Are there any cheap and cheerful upgrades to eek a bit more performance
>> out
>> of a 2.0 TS 156?
>> Do sport air filters make much of a difference?

> No, they make the car louder, but that's it.
>
>> I notice having it chipped only adds 15bhp.

> *snort*

> Not worth it - they're a relatively highly strung engine anyway,
> performance gains are expensive and marginal.
>
> If you wanted more performance you should have bought a V6 - the price
> difference would have been less than the cost of getting 20bhp out of
> the TSpark.

It was an insurance issue.

Old May 12th 06, 10:24 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

R D S > wrote:

> "SteveH" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >R D S > wrote:
> >
> >> Are there any cheap and cheerful upgrades to eek a bit more performance
> >> out
> >> of a 2.0 TS 156?
> >> Do sport air filters make much of a difference?

> > No, they make the car louder, but that's it.
> >
> >> I notice having it chipped only adds 15bhp.

> > *snort*

> > Not worth it - they're a relatively highly strung engine anyway,
> > performance gains are expensive and marginal.
> >
> > If you wanted more performance you should have bought a V6 - the price
> > difference would have been less than the cost of getting 20bhp out of
> > the TSpark.

> It was an insurance issue.

Then you haven't asked for a quote with a filter and chip, then....
that'll easily match, if not beat, the quote for a V6.
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark - Fiat Marea 20v HLX - COSOC KOTL
Old May 12th 06, 10:30 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

"SteveH" > wrote in message
k...
>R D S > wrote:
>
>> "SteveH" > wrote in message
>> . ..

>> > No, they make the car louder, but that's it.

>> > *snort*

>> > Not worth it - they're a relatively highly strung engine anyway,
>> > performance gains are expensive and marginal.
>> >
>> > If you wanted more performance you should have bought a V6 - the price
>> > difference would have been less than the cost of getting 20bhp out of
>> > the TSpark.

>> It was an insurance issue.

> Then you haven't asked for a quote with a filter and chip, then....
> that'll easily match, if not beat, the quote for a V6.

Telling the ins co never occurred to me!

I just wondered about the credibility of the claims of the sellers of these
air filters / back boxes / magnetic fuel line thingies.

Old May 12th 06, 10:58 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

On Fri, 12 May 2006 22:30:26 +0100, "R D S" >,
wrote:

>magnetic fuel line thingies

That should be OK without ins up-cost.

Pete
--

156 2.0 TS (2001) - Proteo Rosso
Old May 13th 06, 10:52 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

"Pete" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 12 May 2006 22:30:26 +0100, "R D S" >,
> wrote:
>
>>magnetic fuel line thingies

> That should be OK without ins up-cost.
>
> Pete
> --
> >
> 156 2.0 TS (2001) - Proteo Rosso

The biggest performance increase, IMHO, is keeping the vehicle in tip-top
condition.
eg:- No good increasing power output if tyres are under inflated etc:
Alfa engines are tuned already, drop a larger unit in by all means, but very
little to be gained by tweaking what is there already.
But who cares, Alfa's may not be the fastest in their class but they look
and drive a lot better than some of the competitors, and as long as your at
the front of the queue so what.

--
Paul Woodsford
Remove NOSPAM to reply.

Old May 13th 06, 11:44 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

"R D S" > schreef in bericht
> Are there any cheap and cheerful upgrades to eek a bit more performance
> out of a 2.0 TS 156?
> Do sport air filters make much of a difference?

A very little bit.... (1-1½HP)
More sound from the intake.
And the K&N version i.e. only has to be renewed every 100.000km compared to
every 20.000km for the original which can make the pay out time better.
..
> I notice having it chipped only adds 15bhp.
> I'm not a speed freak but its a while since i've had any sort of
> performance

10HP is more realistic for a non-turbo engine, but NOT for a standard
exchange chip; those are more or less fake.
A real re-map by experts (there are very little around though) will set you
back 500GBP/750euro and will include a few test runs to the dynometer
teststand to measure HP befor/after
I have had it done by Madeno.com in The Netherlands on my 156
Airfilter + re-mapping brought 14HP and took them almost a full day!!!
In the end the more HP was a minot advantage compared to the driveability
which improved enormeous.
No more rev hole between 2000-3500 rpm, power coming in like a turbine.
So much more fun on the country roads, having power at any time in any gear.

> and i'm getting a taste for it?

I did......