New Car ?

Old May 10th 06, 09:08 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Default New Car ?

OK, my mileage has dropped massively and a JTD is no longer cost
effective for me. Thinking of getting a 156 2.0 JTS, but I'm a bit
confused about the trim levels.

What's the difference between Veloce 1 & 2 ? Also is it only the
Veloces that have the side skirts ? Which ones have the wooden
steering wheel ?

Performance wise, how would a 2.0 JTS compare to say a Vag 1.8 20vt in
a Leon/Octavia ?

Thanks!

Sean

Old May 10th 06, 10:57 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

"DrLargePants" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> OK, my mileage has dropped massively and a JTD is no longer cost
> effective for me.

How can it no longer be cost effective - you save on every gallon you use...
If you have already used it for some time you will have recouped the extra
cost - if not then you will be losing out...IMHO petrol gets eaten too
quickly on a motorway drive. I can understand the performance difference
but....

Dom

Old May 10th 06, 11:11 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

> How can it no longer be cost effective - you save on every gallon you use...
> If you have already used it for some time you will have recouped the extra
> cost - if not then you will be losing out...IMHO petrol gets eaten too
> quickly on a motorway drive. I can understand the performance difference
> but....

The servicing is a lot more expensive ?

Anyway, desiels are dull as **** to drive imo and its doing my head in!

Old May 10th 06, 03:17 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

DrLargePants wrote:
> OK, my mileage has dropped massively and a JTD is no longer cost
> effective for me. Thinking of getting a 156 2.0 JTS, but I'm a bit
> confused about the trim levels.
>
> What's the difference between Veloce 1 & 2 ? Also is it only the
> Veloces that have the side skirts ? Which ones have the wooden
> steering wheel ?
>
> Performance wise, how would a 2.0 JTS compare to say a Vag 1.8 20vt in
> a Leon/Octavia ?

Not too favourably, I'd guess. I was thinking for a while about an Alfa
156, but then I came across a Leon Cupra (basically a Golf 1.8 T) and
went for it. Astounding torque, refined and comfy, and it'll sit at 120
on a private road no problem. Pips the 156/165BHP to 60 by about
half-a-sec, and top speed plus 10mph.

Rob
Old May 10th 06, 03:32 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

> Not too favourably, I'd guess. I was thinking for a while about an Alfa
> 156, but then I came across a Leon Cupra (basically a Golf 1.8 T) and
> went for it. Astounding torque, refined and comfy, and it'll sit at 120
> on a private road no problem. Pips the 156/165BHP to 60 by about
> half-a-sec, and top speed plus 10mph.

That's what I thought tbh. I had a Cupra before the 147 and I really
miss the performace, plus my nearest dealer has now shut and its a
right ballache getting the services sorted on the 147.

Anyone fancy a Lusso 147 mjet ? ;-)

Old May 10th 06, 03:36 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

DrLargePants wrote:
>> Not too favourably, I'd guess. I was thinking for a while about an
>> Alfa 156, but then I came across a Leon Cupra (basically a Golf 1.8
>> T) and went for it. Astounding torque, refined and comfy, and it'll
>> sit at 120 on a private road no problem. Pips the 156/165BHP to 60
>> by about half-a-sec, and top speed plus 10mph.

> That's what I thought tbh. I had a Cupra before the 147 and I really
> miss the performace, plus my nearest dealer has now shut and its a
> right ballache getting the services sorted on the 147.

Really? What's the problem been?

> Anyone fancy a Lusso 147 mjet ? ;-)

How much?

Old May 10th 06, 05:27 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

DrLargePants wrote:
>> Really? What's the problem been?

> Its just the distance involved and plus they need a fair amount of
> notice for the loan car (two weeks+) Neither of which are their fault
> I must add, but it makes it very tricky for me to get the car to them.
>

>>> Anyone fancy a Lusso 147 mjet ? ;-)

>> How much?

> £7500 with 52k miles full alfa history etc
>
> Its a nice car, I just really miss petrol

What's the Reg? (and has it had a belt!)

Old May 10th 06, 06:07 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Rob > wrote:

> DrLargePants wrote:
> > OK, my mileage has dropped massively and a JTD is no longer cost
> > effective for me. Thinking of getting a 156 2.0 JTS, but I'm a bit
> > confused about the trim levels.
> >
> > What's the difference between Veloce 1 & 2 ? Also is it only the
> > Veloces that have the side skirts ? Which ones have the wooden
> > steering wheel ?
> >
> > Performance wise, how would a 2.0 JTS compare to say a Vag 1.8 20vt in
> > a Leon/Octavia ?
> >

> Not too favourably, I'd guess. I was thinking for a while about an Alfa
> 156, but then I came across a Leon Cupra (basically a Golf 1.8 T) and
> went for it. Astounding torque, refined and comfy, and it'll sit at 120
> on a private road no problem. Pips the 156/165BHP to 60 by about
> half-a-sec, and top speed plus 10mph.

To be honest, there's bugger all to pick between them in the real world.

On paper, the VAG 1.8T is marginally quicker to 60, but I didn't notice
it. The only thing I can say is that the 1.8T is more flexible from
lower down the range than a 2lt TSpark (I'd imagine the JTS is pretty
similar).

When I had my Passat 1.8T, I thought the engine was good, but lacking
something - I often wondered what Alfa could have done with that lump
:-)
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark - Fiat Marea 20v HLX - COSOC KOTL
Old May 10th 06, 06:33 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

> What's the Reg? (and has it had a belt!)

53 plate, registered 1/12/2003

Dunno about the belt, its having its 48k service tomorrow though, all
the other services have been slightly late, hence why it not been done
yet! Its still under warenty as well.

Got offered 4.5k as a part ex from a Skoda dealer today, that was
tempting, lol!

Old May 10th 06, 06:35 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

> On paper, the VAG 1.8T is marginally quicker to 60, but I didn't notice
> it. The only thing I can say is that the 1.8T is more flexible from
> lower down the range than a 2lt TSpark (I'd imagine the JTS is pretty
> similar).

That's turbo's for you I guess. Tis a fantastic engine in a Leon
Cupra, that much I know!

> When I had my Passat 1.8T, I thought the engine was good, but lacking
> something - I often wondered what Alfa could have done with that lump

They do sound rather dull I guess, allthough the manic turbo whistle is
good fun!