Kerosene in engine? (was: How do I avoid embarassment?)

Old March 13th 18, 03:03 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Kerosene in engine? (was: How do I avoid embarassment?)

On Friday, October 21, 1994 at 12:52:43 AM UTC-4, Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> Hoo boy. Again? I thought we just covered this. . .oh well.
> Kerosene has no lubricity. It can very easily screw-up your engine.
> Don't do it.
>
> SL6 Dan
>
> On 20 Oct 1994, Steve Riley wrote:
>
> > In article >, "Nathan J. Nagel" wrote:
> > >
> > > I offered to change the oil and run some
> > > kerosene through it to clean it up, as I had visions of black gunk
> > > clogging all the oil passages.
> > >
> > > Run kero through motor. Remove filter by screwdriver method, put in new
> > > oil (yes I put on a new filter).

> > Can someone explain this to me? What does this do for your engine? Are
> > there any harmful side effects?
> >
> > Ciao,
> > Steve
> >
> >I am Scott, I have 15% of my oil kerosene which is 5 viscosity actually and has the same density and storage requirements as MMO. I am told it is awful idea. Yet the base for all additives is kerosene. 4 qt of 5w20 with it.. I want to change it when I get some change. I have been watching oil cold pours and fine mobile 1 is good and some who claim to slice bread dont pass the cold or hot tests.

I had put a week ago some high mileage oil. So I drained it and found clumps. The focus only has 48,000 miles so i put in some kerosene with the oil. I expect a clean engine maybe tommorrow when I get a 5 qt can on synthetic oil. Some scream you are ruining that focus. I think the high mileage was more harmful.