How long can a popping CV joint last?

Old December 31st 17, 09:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default How long can a popping CV joint last?

Mine pops and cracks no matter how fast I’m going. Even at 2mph. Thinks it’s still driveable?
Old January 1st 18, 01:57 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

The Real Bev wrote:
> On 12/31/2017 01:07 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
>> wrote:
>>> Mine pops and cracks no matter how fast I’m going. Even at 2mph. Thinks it’s still
>>> driveable?

>> You might be able to drive it a few more miles, but then again, maybe not.
>> Bad things happen when it finally breaks completely.

> On my '83 Sentra it was cheaper to have the axles replaced than to just replace the CV
> joints. They made noise for a long time, but on reflection it was dumb to hold off for a
> few thousand miles not knowing whether they'd break or not -- and then the engine blew a
> seal and I ended up letting the state of California pay me $1K to junk it -- with new
> tires, axles, and other lifetime parts.
>
> The smog regs are evil. When that car was gone I drove a '73 Dodge pickup (12 mpg) and my
> mom's '88 Caddy (12 mpg) for 10 years. Cui bono?

You can get away with quite a bit if you know how your vehicle works and
when it starts to "feel" really bad.
I drove my 92 grand am with torn cv boots and bad right wheel bearing for months.
Got rebuilt axles and bearing from O'Reily and put them in myself on a weekend.

Old January 1st 18, 02:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
The Real Bev[_5_]

On 12/31/2017 04:57 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
> The Real Bev wrote:
>>>
>>> You might be able to drive it a few more miles, but then again, maybe not.
>>> Bad things happen when it finally breaks completely.

>> On my '83 Sentra it was cheaper to have the axles replaced than to just replace the CV
>> joints. They made noise for a long time, but on reflection it was dumb to hold off for a
>> few thousand miles not knowing whether they'd break or not -- and then the engine blew a
>> seal and I ended up letting the state of California pay me $1K to junk it -- with new
>> tires, axles, and other lifetime parts.
>>
>> The smog regs are evil. When that car was gone I drove a '73 Dodge pickup (12 mpg) and my
>> mom's '88 Caddy (12 mpg) for 10 years. Cui bono?

> You can get away with quite a bit if you know how your vehicle works and
> when it starts to "feel" really bad.
> I drove my 92 grand am with torn cv boots and bad right wheel bearing for months.
> Got rebuilt axles and bearing from O'Reily and put them in myself on a weekend.

You used to be able to tell what was wrong with a car and fix it
yourself. I used to feel fully confident in my ability to buy a
10-year-old car and know what was wrong with it and roughly how much it
would cost to fix. When I bought the 2013 Corolla ("Certified" from a
dealer) I didn't even lift the hood. I'm ashamed of that, but I never
want to fix a car again. Ever.

I did take it to a mech that I trust, who told me he'd looked at the car
that morning and was thinking of buying it for his daughter. Good
enough for me.

Do kids even know that batteries used to need water? DISTILLED water?

I hated fixing cars, but I don't regret having done it. Just something
people should know how to do, at least a little.

--
Cheers, Bev
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old January 1st 18, 02:36 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Sunday, December 31, 2017 at 10:16:59 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> Mine pops and cracks no matter how fast I’m going. Even at 2mph. Thinks it’s still driveable?

The smart thing to do is to drive it to your mechanic or to fix it where it sits. It's not driveable. That's the absolute truth.
Old January 1st 18, 05:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

The Real Bev wrote:

> You used to be able to tell what was wrong with a car and fix it yourself. I used to feel
> fully confident in my ability to buy a 10-year-old car and know what was wrong with it and
> roughly how much it would cost to fix. When I bought the 2013 Corolla ("Certified" from a
> dealer) I didn't even lift the hood. I'm ashamed of that, but I never want to fix a car
> again. Ever.
>
> I did take it to a mech that I trust, who told me he'd looked at the car that morning and
> was thinking of buying it for his daughter. Good enough for me.
>
> Do kids even know that batteries used to need water? DISTILLED water?
>
> I hated fixing cars, but I don't regret having done it. Just something people should know
> how to do, at least a little.

I agree. My 2006 Kia needs a timing belt but I am tired of working on cars.
So off to the garage it goes this spring.
My son finally took an interest in cars, at age 30, and successfully
put strut shocks on his Mazda last summer using only hand tools.

Old January 1st 18, 09:06 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Monday, January 1, 2018 at 9:36:59 AM UTC+8, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, December 31, 2017 at 10:16:59 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> > Mine pops and cracks no matter how fast I’m going. Even at 2mph.. Thinks it’s still driveable?

> The smart thing to do is to drive it to your mechanic or to fix it where it sits. It's not driveable. That's the absolute truth.

Better still, trade in for a RWD.
Old January 1st 18, 06:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
The Real Bev[_5_]

On 12/31/2017 08:25 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
> The Real Bev wrote:
>
>> You used to be able to tell what was wrong with a car and fix it yourself. I used to feel
>> fully confident in my ability to buy a 10-year-old car and know what was wrong with it and
>> roughly how much it would cost to fix. When I bought the 2013 Corolla ("Certified" from a
>> dealer) I didn't even lift the hood. I'm ashamed of that, but I never want to fix a car
>> again. Ever.
>>
>> I did take it to a mech that I trust, who told me he'd looked at the car that morning and
>> was thinking of buying it for his daughter. Good enough for me.
>>
>> Do kids even know that batteries used to need water? DISTILLED water?
>>
>> I hated fixing cars, but I don't regret having done it. Just something people should know
>> how to do, at least a little.

> I agree. My 2006 Kia needs a timing belt but I am tired of working on cars.
> So off to the garage it goes this spring.
> My son finally took an interest in cars, at age 30, and successfully
> put strut shocks on his Mazda last summer using only hand tools.

My son learned from an early age, and we used to fix our own motorcycles
too. I have a mental picture of my son standing on the fenders of his
197x Corolla with a strap over his back lifting out the engine so he
could replace it. He was a big strong kid! We built a tripod out of 2"
pipe and a come-along for lifting engines -- push the vehicle up, pull
the engine, push it back, etc. Later on we got an engine hoist at a
yard sale that we never used :-(

I drive 3K-4K miles/year. I bought the Corolla so I would never have to
work on a car again. Unfortunately one of the tires leaks enough air to
flip the idiot light (which goes off at 24 or 28 pounds) so I have to
pump it up a bit. Fortunately the Harbor Freight $35 12V compressor
works well, although I wish it had a snap-on rather than screw-on
business end.

--
Cheers, Bev
"I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in
Old January 1st 18, 07:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Sunday, December 31, 2017 at 10:07:01 PM UTC-10, wrote:

> Better still, trade in for a RWD.

It would probably be a lot cheaper to fix the CV joint - or would it?