removing the thermostat

Old September 21st 17, 09:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
.[_2_]

Default removing the thermostat

On 9/21/2017 2:10 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 7:14:51 AM UTC-10, . wrote:

>>> My guess is that you don't know more about this than Toyota. If you use a regular type thermostat on a system that requires a bypass type thermostat, part of the coolant is going to bypass the radiator. How much coolant is going to bypass the radiator? I don't know but my guess is that the coolant is going to flow in the path of least resistance and that path is probably not through the radiator.

>> No, the bypass system is of smaller cross sectional
>> area and more restrictive than that of the normal
>> path to and through the radiator.
>>
>>> If your engine overheats and the cooling system appears to be working properly, it would be a good idea to check if you're using the correct thermostat.

> It sounds like you're saying that the path through the engine block is more restrictive than the path through the radiator and the engine block. How does that work?

Are you vision impaired. Ever seen a bypass hose?
http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/da...7/IMG_7051.JPG

The heat exchanger in a vehicle (w/o shutoff) generally
provides the same function as the classic bypass system.
Old September 21st 17, 09:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 10:04:12 AM UTC-10, . wrote:

> Are you vision impaired. Ever seen a bypass hose?
> http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/da...7/IMG_7051.JPG
>
> The heat exchanger in a vehicle (w/o shutoff) generally
> provides the same function as the classic bypass system.

I don't believe that's what we're talking about. My guess is that engines that use a bypass thermostat won't have an additional bypass hose.

My eyes are just fine. How's your eyes? It appears that you weren't able to read or comprehend my post. If you can find anything in it that is untrue please let me know. You won't because I have a crack legal team reading everything I post.
Old September 21st 17, 09:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
.[_2_]

On 9/21/2017 3:21 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 10:04:12 AM UTC-10, . wrote:
>>
>> Are you vision impaired. Ever seen a bypass hose?
>> http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/da...7/IMG_7051.JPG
>>
>> The heat exchanger in a vehicle (w/o shutoff) generally
>> provides the same function as the classic bypass system.

> I don't believe that's what we're talking about.

Then you don't understand the function of a bypass
system or even heater core flow.

> My guess is that engines that use a bypass thermostat won't have an additional bypass hose.

Provide SOMETHING to support your "guess".

> My eyes are just fine. How's your eyes? It appears that you weren't able to read or comprehend my post. If you can find anything in it that is untrue please let me know. You won't because I have a crack legal team reading everything I post.

How unfortunate that none are engineers, know anything
regarding applied mechanics and certainly don't have
the first clue about fluid mechanics.

You truly sound beyond hope.
Old September 21st 17, 10:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Xeno

On 22/09/2017 3:14 AM, . wrote:
> On 9/21/2017 12:00 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 1:25:51 AM UTC-10, micky wrote:
>>> "Do not remove the thermostat in
>>> the engine cooling system as this
>>> may cause the engine to overheat.
>>> The thermostat is designed to con-
>>> trol the flow of coolant to keep the
>>> temperature of the engine within
>>> the specified operating range"
>>>
>>> Â*From a Toyota manual.Â*Â* I thought removing the thermostat could cause
>>> the engine to underheat, never reach proper operating temperature.
>>>
>>> Do I know more about this than Toyota?

>> My guess is that you don't know more about this than Toyota. If you
>> use a regular type thermostat on a system that requires a bypass type
>> thermostat, part of the coolant is going to bypass the radiator. How
>> much coolant is going to bypass the radiator? I don't know but my
>> guess is that the coolant is going to flow in the path of least
>> resistance and that path is probably not through the radiator.

> No, the bypass system is of smaller cross sectional
> area and more restrictive than that of the normal
> path to and through the radiator.
>
>> If your engine overheats and the cooling system appears to be working
>> properly, it would be a good idea to check if you're using the correct
>> thermostat.

Two types of *restriction* possible; smaller pipes, or longer path.
While the bypass is smaller, the path is extremely short in comparison
to that when it goes through the radiator.
Oddly enough, electricity works on the very same principles.

--

Xeno
Old September 21st 17, 10:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Xeno

On 22/09/2017 5:10 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 7:14:51 AM UTC-10, . wrote:

>>> My guess is that you don't know more about this than Toyota. If you use a regular type thermostat on a system that requires a bypass type thermostat, part of the coolant is going to bypass the radiator. How much coolant is going to bypass the radiator? I don't know but my guess is that the coolant is going to flow in the path of least resistance and that path is probably not through the radiator.

>> No, the bypass system is of smaller cross sectional
>> area and more restrictive than that of the normal
>> path to and through the radiator.
>>
>>> If your engine overheats and the cooling system appears to be working properly, it would be a good idea to check if you're using the correct thermostat.

> It sounds like you're saying that the path through the engine block is more restrictive than the path through the radiator and the engine block. How does that work?

It doesn't follow logic. The block path is *short*.

--

Xeno
Old September 21st 17, 10:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
.[_2_]

On 9/21/2017 4:18 PM, Xeno wrote:
> On 22/09/2017 3:14 AM, . wrote:

>>> My guess is that you don't know more about this than Toyota. If you
>>> use a regular type thermostat on a system that requires a bypass type
>>> thermostat, part of the coolant is going to bypass the radiator. How
>>> much coolant is going to bypass the radiator? I don't know but my
>>> guess is that the coolant is going to flow in the path of least
>>> resistance and that path is probably not through the radiator.

>> No, the bypass system is of smaller cross sectional
>> area and more restrictive than that of the normal
>> path to and through the radiator.
>>
>>> If your engine overheats and the cooling system appears to be working
>>> properly, it would be a good idea to check if you're using the
>>> correct thermostat.

> Two types of *restriction* possible; smaller pipes, or longer path.
> While the bypass is smaller, the path is extremely short in comparison
> to that when it goes through the radiator.
> Oddly enough, electricity works on the very same principles.

Yes, electrical resistance works on the very same principle.
Does the reciprocal of the sum of reciprocals strike a bell?
It would if you actually understood parallel flow. A resonant
circuit is an analog of an oscillating mass, the integro-
differential equations are the same.
Old September 21st 17, 10:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
.[_2_]

On 9/21/2017 4:20 PM, Xeno wrote:
> On 22/09/2017 5:10 AM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> No, the bypass system is of smaller cross sectional
>>> area and more restrictive than that of the normal
>>> path to and through the radiator.

>> It sounds like you're saying that the path through the engine block is
>> more restrictive than the path through the radiator and the engine
>> block. How does that work?
>>

> It doesn't follow logic. The block path is *short*.

So if a tiny hole is put into a thin, otherwise blind
plate blocking flow, then there's little restriction
due to the minimal thickness?

Give it up, you clearly don't even understand fundamentals.
Old September 21st 17, 10:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Xeno

On 22/09/2017 6:04 AM, . wrote:
> On 9/21/2017 2:10 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> No, the bypass system is of smaller cross sectional
>>> area and more restrictive than that of the normal
>>> path to and through the radiator.

>> It sounds like you're saying that the path through the engine block is
>> more restrictive than the path through the radiator and the engine
>> block. How does that work?

> Are you vision impaired. Ever seen a bypass hose?
> http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/da...7/IMG_7051.JPG
>
> The heat exchanger in a vehicle (w/o shutoff) generally
> provides the same function as the classic bypass system.

I can show you plenty that do not incorporate any form of heat exchange.
They are a bypass, pure and simple. The ones that readily come to mind
are those where the flow is assisted along the short path by the water
pump which creates a low pressure at the bypass hose. Any OHC BLMC A, B
& O Series engine is a perfect representation of this. I have had 30 or
40 cars with these engines alone and I am very familiar with what
happens if the bypass aperture isn't given any consideration when
fitting thermostats. I have had, in my younger days, owned 22 vehicles
with the O Series engine alone.

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/cooling/cool_140.htm

The section on *blanking sleeves* gives you a good indication of what
needs to be done when fitting a short thermostat that doesn't
effectively block off the bypass. You will note that the sleeve has 4
small holes. That is to guarantee *some* flow through the block when the
thermostat is closed thereby preventing hot spots, steam pockets, etc.
What the sleeve is intended to do is permanently restrict the bypass
flow below the level of significant parasitic effect on the cooling system.

--

Xeno
Old September 21st 17, 10:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Xeno

On 22/09/2017 6:21 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 10:04:12 AM UTC-10, . wrote:
>>
>> Are you vision impaired. Ever seen a bypass hose?
>> http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/da...7/IMG_7051.JPG
>>
>> The heat exchanger in a vehicle (w/o shutoff) generally
>> provides the same function as the classic bypass system.

> I don't believe that's what we're talking about. My guess is that engines that use a bypass thermostat won't have an additional bypass hose.

The OP has a *blinkered perspective* of what goes on in the automotive
industry. He isn't aware that his limited experience with cars is not
representative of the industry as a whole.

Old September 21st 17, 10:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
.[_2_]

On 9/21/2017 4:41 PM, Xeno wrote:
> On 22/09/2017 6:04 AM, . wrote:

>>> It sounds like you're saying that the path through the engine block
>>> is more restrictive than the path through the radiator and the engine
>>> block. How does that work?

>> Are you vision impaired. Ever seen a bypass hose?
>> http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/da...7/IMG_7051.JPG
>>
>> The heat exchanger in a vehicle (w/o shutoff) generally
>> provides the same function as the classic bypass system.

> I can show you plenty that do not incorporate any form of heat exchange.
> They are a bypass, pure and simple. The ones that readily come to mind
> are those where the flow is assisted along the short path by the water
> pump which creates a low pressure at the bypass hose. Any OHC BLMC A, B
> & O Series engine is a perfect representation of this. I have had 30 or
> 40 cars with these engines alone and I am very familiar with what
> happens if the bypass aperture isn't given any consideration when
> fitting thermostats. I have had, in my younger days, owned 22 vehicles
> with the O Series engine alone.

The referenced heat exchanger inside the vehicle
refers to the heater core, yet another bypass system.
> http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/cooling/cool_140.htm
>
> The section on *blanking sleeves* gives you a good indication of what
> needs to be done when fitting a short thermostat that doesn't
> effectively block off the bypass. You will note that the sleeve has 4
> small holes. That is to guarantee *some* flow through the block when the
> thermostat is closed thereby preventing hot spots, steam pockets, etc.
> What the sleeve is intended to do is permanently restrict the bypass
> flow below the level of significant parasitic effect on the cooling system.

Your change of subject and verbosity hardly conceals
the fact that you have totally failed (as expected)
to "cite so much as a SINGLE example of any engine
or vehicle manufacturer supporting a claim of
overheating due to the absence of a thermostat".

Honda thermostat fixed + how to test your thermostat... [email protected] Honda 5 March 18th 09 02:33 AM
Thermostat Q's Cletus[_2_] VW air cooled 5 April 18th 07 05:07 AM
thermostat! Steve VW air cooled 15 December 31st 05 08:36 AM
thermostat XY Alfa Romeo 1 October 28th 05 11:54 AM
thermostat rod paul horvath VW air cooled 1 November 28th 04 04:01 PM