How do you know who made your O2 sensor?

Old September 16th 17, 06:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
micky

Default How do you know who made your O2 sensor?

How do you know who made your O2 sensor?

Both the car I'm getting rid of and most likely the car I'm buying need
O2 sensors. One video I saw said it was important to get the same brand
as original because other brands might not communicate well with the
computer.

But he didn't say how to find the brand? Is it even on the item? And I
don't want to take it out and only then run around trying to find one.

What do people do?
Old September 16th 17, 08:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

micky wrote:
> How do you know who made your O2 sensor?
>
> Both the car I'm getting rid of and most likely the car I'm buying need
> O2 sensors. One video I saw said it was important to get the same brand
> as original because other brands might not communicate well with the
> computer.
>
> But he didn't say how to find the brand? Is it even on the item? And I
> don't want to take it out and only then run around trying to find one.
>
> What do people do?

"Not communicate well" sounds strange.
An O2 sensor generates a voltage due to an oxygen differential.
All it does is send the voltage to the ecu.
You can measure the voltage yourself with a volt meter to see if
the O2 sensor is going bad (or read the obd stream).
If you're worried about it then get OEM or a Bosch.
Your vehicles probably have several. Usually it's the ones closest
to the engine that get coated by crud and stop working well.

Old September 16th 17, 10:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 13:58:12 -0400, micky > wrote:

>How do you know who made your O2 sensor?
>
>Both the car I'm getting rid of and most likely the car I'm buying need
>O2 sensors. One video I saw said it was important to get the same brand
>as original because other brands might not communicate well with the
>computer.
>
>But he didn't say how to find the brand? Is it even on the item? And I
>don't want to take it out and only then run around trying to find one.
>
>What do people do?

Get a part number from the dealer (use the web). Use the web to find that part number.
Old September 17th 17, 02:19 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
micky

In rec.autos.tech, on Sat, 16 Sep 2017 14:02:58 -0500, Paul in Houston
TX > wrote:

>micky wrote:
>> How do you know who made your O2 sensor?
>>
>> Both the car I'm getting rid of and most likely the car I'm buying need
>> O2 sensors. One video I saw said it was important to get the same brand
>> as original because other brands might not communicate well with the
>> computer.
>>
>> But he didn't say how to find the brand? Is it even on the item? And I
>> don't want to take it out and only then run around trying to find one.
>>
>> What do people do?

>"Not communicate well" sounds strange.
>An O2 sensor generates a voltage due to an oxygen differential.
>All it does is send the voltage to the ecu.

I think I knew that once. I guess what he would says if he knew that is
that the voltage isnt' the same for different brands of sensor

>You can measure the voltage yourself with a volt meter to see if
>the O2 sensor is going bad (or read the obd stream).

I have a code reader, but that doesn't mean I can read the obd stream,
right? Something to do that costs more money, I assume.

>If you're worried about it then get OEM or a Bosch.
>Your vehicles probably have several. Usually it's the ones closest
>to the engine that get coated by crud and stop working well.

Thanks. The code reader should also help pin it down.
Old September 17th 17, 02:20 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
micky

In rec.autos.tech, on Sat, 16 Sep 2017 16:10:18 -0500, Vic Smith
> wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 13:58:12 -0400, micky > wrote:
>
>>How do you know who made your O2 sensor?
>>
>>Both the car I'm getting rid of and most likely the car I'm buying need
>>O2 sensors. One video I saw said it was important to get the same brand
>>as original because other brands might not communicate well with the
>>computer.
>>
>>But he didn't say how to find the brand? Is it even on the item? And I
>>don't want to take it out and only then run around trying to find one.
>>
>>What do people do?

>Get a part number from the dealer (use the web). Use the web to find that part number.

Very good. tx
Old September 17th 17, 01:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Xeno

On 17/09/2017 11:19 AM, micky wrote:
> In rec.autos.tech, on Sat, 16 Sep 2017 14:02:58 -0500, Paul in Houston
> TX > wrote:
>
>> micky wrote:
>>> How do you know who made your O2 sensor?
>>>
>>> Both the car I'm getting rid of and most likely the car I'm buying need
>>> O2 sensors. One video I saw said it was important to get the same brand
>>> as original because other brands might not communicate well with the
>>> computer.
>>>
>>> But he didn't say how to find the brand? Is it even on the item? And I
>>> don't want to take it out and only then run around trying to find one.
>>>
>>> What do people do?

>> "Not communicate well" sounds strange.
>> An O2 sensor generates a voltage due to an oxygen differential.
>> All it does is send the voltage to the ecu.

> I think I knew that once. I guess what he would says if he knew that is
> that the voltage isnt' the same for different brands of sensor

Sensor *brand* isn't the issue. Sensor *type* is the issue. The part
number, as has been pointed out elsewhere, is the way to go.

--

Xeno