What is the California law regarding dash cam time & placard & location limits?

Old April 21st 14, 09:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,ca.driving,misc.legal
bob mullen

Default What is the California law regarding dash cam time & placard & location limits?

I'm told there is a law in California that "allows" dash
cams, but that there are specific "requirements".

I was told that the requirements a
a. Can only last for 30 seconds (even after a crash)
b. Can only have video (no audio without a placard)
c. Can only be on specific spots of the windshield

Googling, I found, I think, the California vehicle codes:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vc_index_t.htm

But, I can only find one of the three above, namely:
a. time limit?
b. recording disclosure requirement?
c. http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm

Do you know how to find the time limit & disclosure rules?
Old April 21st 14, 09:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,ca.driving,misc.legal
Steve W.[_6_]

http://thelosangelescriminaldefenseb...what-it-means/
http://www.ehow.com/info_12333580_le...alifornia.html
http://www.turnto23.com/news/your-ne...n-all-vehicles

Old April 21st 14, 10:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,ca.driving,misc.legal
bob mullen

On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 16:24:58 -0400, Steve W. wrote:

> http://thelosangelescriminaldefenseb...what-it-means/
> http://www.ehow.com/info_12333580_le...alifornia.html
> http://www.turnto23.com/news/your-ne...n-all-vehicles

Wow. 30 seconds after a "triggering event", whatever that means.
Old April 21st 14, 10:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,ca.driving,misc.legal
Ann Marie Brest

On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 14:25:53 -0700, bob mullen wrote:

> Wow. 30 seconds after a "triggering event", whatever that means.

Here is exactly what California says it means!
:-)

(13) (A) A video event recorder with the capability of monitoring driver
performance to improve driver safety, which may be mounted in a seven-inch
square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the
driver, in a five-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield nearest
to the driver and outside of an airbag deployment zone, or in a five-inch
square mounted to the center uppermost portion of the interior of the
windshield. As used in this section, ´video event recorder¡ means a video
recorder that continuously records in a digital loop, recording audio,
video, and G-force levels, but saves video only when triggered by an
unusual motion or crash or when operated by the driver to monitor driver
performance.

(B) A vehicle equipped with a video event recorder shall have a notice
posted in a visible location which states that a passengerÿs conversation
may be recorded.

(C) Video event recorders shall store no more than 30 seconds before and
after a triggering event.

(D) The registered owner or lessee of the vehicle may disable the device.

(E) The data recorded to the device is the property of the registered owner
or lessee of the vehicle.

(F) When a person is driving for hire as an employee in a vehicle with a
video event recorder, the personÿs employer shall provide unedited copies
of the recordings upon the request of the employee or the employeeÿs
representative. These copies shall be provided free of charge to the
employee and within five days of the request.

(14) (A) A video event recorder in a commercial motor vehicle with the
capability of monitoring driver performance to improve driver safety, which
may be mounted no more than two inches below the upper edge of the area
swept by the windshield wipers, and outside the driverÿs sight lines to the
road and highway signs and signals. Subparagraphs (B) to (F), inclusive, of
paragraph (13) apply to the exemption provided by this paragraph.
Old April 21st 14, 10:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,ca.driving,misc.legal
Jessie Williams

Ann Marie Brest > wrote:

> (C) Video event recorders shall store no more than 30 seconds
> before and after a triggering event.

What's the rationale for the 30 second limitation?

Old April 21st 14, 11:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,ca.driving,misc.legal
Retired

On 4/21/14, 4:07 PM, bob mullen wrote:
> I'm told there is a law in California that "allows" dash
> cams, but that there are specific "requirements".
>
> I was told that the requirements a
> a. Can only last for 30 seconds (even after a crash)
> b. Can only have video (no audio without a placard)
> c. Can only be on specific spots of the windshield
>
> Googling, I found, I think, the California vehicle codes:
> http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vc_index_t.htm
>
> But, I can only find one of the three above, namely:
> a. time limit?
> b. recording disclosure requirement?
> c. http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm
>
> Do you know how to find the time limit & disclosure rules?

Are the cameras covered by this law aimed at the driver in the
vehicle, or aimed at the road in front ? Or what ?
Old April 22nd 14, 01:54 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,ca.driving,misc.legal
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 13:07:05 -0700, bob mullen
> wrote:

>I'm told there is a law in California that "allows" dash
>cams, but that there are specific "requirements".
>
>I was told that the requirements a
>a. Can only last for 30 seconds (even after a crash)
>b. Can only have video (no audio without a placard)
>c. Can only be on specific spots of the windshield
>
>Googling, I found, I think, the California vehicle codes:
>http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vc_index_t.htm
>
>But, I can only find one of the three above, namely:
>a. time limit?
>b. recording disclosure requirement?
>c. http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm
>
>Do you know how to find the time limit & disclosure rules?

I find problems with the law and also with the link to the attorney's
comments on it. The law appears to have originally been written to
cover video recordings aimed at monitoring the drivers of things like
taxi's and delivery trucks. As such it made some sense that they
would have a G-force trigger that would save the last 30 seconds,
otherwise it just went away. As I read the law it defines a specific
device, a video event recorder with specific requirements including
the g-force thing. In all of the BS in the law it's clear that the
intent is to not have people sticking the things on the windshield and
blocking their view. So I see two things that eliminate any need to
even follow this law.

1) don't buy a video event recorder. What I mean is, just buy a video
camera that records whatever the hell you want to record for as long
as you want and no g-trigger.

2) after buying it, don't mount it on the windshield, not anywhere.
Mount it on the top of the dash in a place where the driver's view is
not blocked in anyway thru any part of the windshield. If slightly to
the left of center toward the back of the dash in no way obstructs any
part of the windshield from the drivers position then put it there.

If the cops say your are violating the law ask how something that
blocks NONE of the windshield and that does NOT match the specs of the
video event recorder could even be covered by the law. Remember , the
law itself first defines what a video event recorder is and you don't
have one. As long as you haven't blocked any part of teh windshield,
all teh BS about 5 and 7 square inches here there and wherever doesn't
apply. There isn't any law prohibiting video cameras in cars, all
there is is a law saying you can't block the drivers view with
"stuff", plus a specific mention of something you don't own, a video
event recorder. So you don't need to post warning signs for your
passengers either.

I'm not an attorney or judge so no telling how the court or cops would
react when these FACTS are pointed out to them.
Old April 22nd 14, 04:02 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,ca.driving,misc.legal
richard

On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 13:07:05 -0700, bob mullen wrote:

> I'm told there is a law in California that "allows" dash
> cams, but that there are specific "requirements".
>
> I was told that the requirements a
> a. Can only last for 30 seconds (even after a crash)
> b. Can only have video (no audio without a placard)
> c. Can only be on specific spots of the windshield
>
> Googling, I found, I think, the California vehicle codes:
> http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vc_index_t.htm
>
> But, I can only find one of the three above, namely:
> a. time limit?
> b. recording disclosure requirement?
> c. http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm
>
> Do you know how to find the time limit & disclosure rules?

VER's are a waste.
This law was apparently written by some newbee politician looking to make
his name known.
I'd rather have a full fledged video camera that records continously.

As for recording audio, it's my damn vehicle. If I want to record audio I
don't need to tell the passengers.

With today's technology, I can mount a camera practically anywhere in a
vehicle I want and you'd never know it was there.

About the g-force stuff. Most people don't really understand it.
Like they say you pull 10g's going around a corner at 100mph.
As an example.
This is pure bull****. Realistically, the g-force you DO pull is less than
2.
Old April 22nd 14, 08:45 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,ca.driving,misc.legal
Tegger[_4_]

richard > wrote in
:

> As for recording audio, it's my damn vehicle. If I want to record
> audio I don't need to tell the passengers.

California is a "two party consent" state. That means that both parties to
the recording (one of them being you) must be informed of the fact that
they are being recorded.

A "one party consent" state will mandate that only one of the parties to
the recording must be informed. And that one party would be you.

Failure to notify both parties in a "two party consent" state usually
results in the recording being inadmissible in court, and you can be sued
for failure to notify.

You can Google this.

--
Tegger
Old April 22nd 14, 05:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,ca.driving,misc.legal
bob mullen

On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 18:07:43 -0400, Retired wrote:

> Are the cameras covered by this law aimed at the driver in the
> vehicle, or aimed at the road in front ? Or what ?

Interestingly, they are aimed forward, through the windshield.
The only part of the driver which is recorded is audio.

It seems the "loop" legally must be 30 seconds, which seems
far too little to be of any use.

Or, maybe I'm wrong, but the "triggering" event is 30 seconds
after a crash?

Can someone explain the 30-second rule?